Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why did you sell your Cross check??
  • flashes
    Free Member

My mate is pondering Karate Monkey or Cross Check, we noticed KM hardly ever come up for sale used, where as Cross checks quite a lot and in almost unused condition. is there a reason for this?

tommid
    Free Member

I have both and I would never sell either.

I would hazard a guess that there are a whole lot more CCs out there than KMs.
    KMs dont come up on ebay often, but they do come up for sale. I couldn’t say which is better as both of mine are built very differently, but I imagine I could build both up fairly similar. The CC could be a monster cross and the Km could take some skinny wheels, but thats not for me.

stanley

Had a Cross Check for a few years…… love it!!

Used for cross, touring and just riding 🙂

flashes
    Free Member

no one else??

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Depends how many bikes you have and what you want to use it for. I went through the same dilemma but already had a cross bike and wheels etc from that, so in the end went for the cross check. It is now my ‘road’ bike and used mostly on road, but also farm tracks and gravel roads. I have it set up with midge drops and It works nicely with a variety of tyres including 1.8 29r tyres, but that gives serious toe overlap!

I am lucky enough to also have an MTB, but I think if I had a bit more cash and / or could have only 1 bike, then I would now choose a KM but with 2 set of wheels.

I think the decision would really be around what the majority of riding done on it will be, and if you want flat or drop bars. If mostly offroad then KM, if gravel and road then cross check. If flat bar then KM as longer top tube.

I should add though that I love my cross check. Even though it weighs a ton it rides really nicely and feels like it can handle a lot more than it does / should

tommid
    Free Member

I agree with Matthewlhome, depends what your mate wants from it. Although you can still pick up the complete KM for £650ish.
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-karate-monkey-complete-single-speed-29er-mountainbike-2011-873-p.asp

Second set of tyres and you are made…

ojom
    Free Member

Ridden both. Sold my CC cause of toe overlap. I have bog feet apparently…

KM GREAT FUN. We have an ex demonstrator going on Ebay at some point soon but as pointed out above, Surly dealers have deals on at the moment on new ones.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Matthewlhome made the point that the Cross Check weighs a ton. I only rode one a few times, but that’s my over-riding memory of it – heavy, dull and rather dead feeling, certainly not a bike I’d want to own or even ride again.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

It does weigh a lot, but rides a lot nicer than the light full on racing cyclo cross bike i sold. Its not really noticeable until i have to lift it back onto the wall rack.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I havent sold mine, but if I did it would be because of the amount of flex in the frame at the BB/chainstays.

It rides dead well though, love it. Dead comfy aswell.

stanley

Cross Check heavy? Nah.
    Can’t be THAT much heavier than the lightest frame on the market (couple of lbs in it?).
    But they are strong. And there is no point building them up with weight weenie parts- I guess that is why they can end up being a bit weighty.
    Don’t want anything breaking when you decide to take a short cut down a flight of steps 🙂

birdage

Mines set up single speed. Love it and ride it everyday. Its the one I would keep over the 29er and crosser cause as said its great to ride and infinitely capable. Only reason I’d sell would be if I got a Peregrine! Never found the weight a problem.

rowemasters
    Free Member

Same here…love mine

Rides really nice…fixed and full guards for winter miles…

I’ve had mine for about 6 years and can’t imagine selling.

Heavy? well it’s not my summer bike, so it’s fine whatever….robust is good in a bike you can do anything with….

flashes
    Free Member

Cheers chap. I’m a tad biased, I have a KM and love it, but have never ridden a Cross Check………….

STATO
    Free Member

The CC isnt the most agile, the lightest or the most comfortable, but it is possibly the most versatile and the best compromise of those 4 criteria ive found so far.

Id say it was about even for the amount of CC vs KM sold on STW this past year, and way more KM than CC if you include ebay.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why did you sell your Cross check??’ is closed to new replies.