Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Why did my hedge trimmer catch fire?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Using the hedge trimmer today, release the trigger and it kept going but very slowly. Next thing it starts smoking and then bursts in to flames !

I leg it to the fuse box (which hadn’t tripped) and switch the power off. Come back out and it’s smoking nicely.

It’s now in the bin.

How the heck did that happen then ?

enfht
    Free Member

For the same reason your bin is now on fire.

Waderider
    Free Member

It was retribution for using an electric hedge trimmer. Real men use petrol.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I wager the powercontrol circuit died and roasted. Maybe the power transistor [MOSFET?] failed and did so in a way that caused thermal runaway.

Assuming you haven’t just rewired the house, I’m pretty sure you just need to go and buy another trimmer.

holst
    Free Member

Just a guess, but it may have overheated.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to say that your bush is too thick but I don’t know you well enough to be so forward…

twisty

Maybe one of the two gates in the TRIAC fused on during use, this wouldn’t have been a problem while you were still using it, but as soon as you stopped the stuck gate would have continued sending current pulses through the motor, but at half frequency so it would have been turning slowly and overheated due to lack of ventilation.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Something sticking somewhere causing a lot of friction is my guess. Just a guess though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

it wanted to go to silicon heaven with all the toasters and the calculators …….

scaredypants

faulty

probably electrical

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as Silicon Heaven.

*twitch twitch*

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdnPt1Ln4U[/video]

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It was nothing to do with me

My nickname at work is “pyro”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The only other thing I can think is that the GT85 I sprayed on to the blades could have run down in to the motor ? 😆

Could also explain why my bush caught fire too, however I am convinced the trimmer was faulty prior as I only sprayed the GT85 after it started going weird

Northwind

ISIS have claimed responsibility.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Why did my hedge trimmer catch fire?’ is closed to new replies.