Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Why CO2?
  • jcromton
    Free Member

I'd be surprised if this didn't come up, but why is it CO2 that is used for inflating tires? As opposed to say air or laughing gas or helium.

Apologies if this is a schoolboy question.

Cheers

Chris

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

1) non toxic (unless in high concentrations)
    2) cheap
    3) I think it's easily compressible as it probably liquifies under a little pressure, whereas nitrogen (equally cheap and non toxic) would probably require much higher pressures to get enough in the cartridge
    4) helium is expensive and would quickly leak out

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mostly 3) I think, however propane is also used in some of the larger cylinders.

wombat

But would helium filled tyres offer a weight saving?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheap, easily available. Also – the canisters are actually the same ones they use for fizzing drinks, to save on cost.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But would helium filled tyres offer a weight saving?

yes, several grammes…

jcromton
    Free Member

How about laughing gas? I buy a lot of containers of that and they're cheaper. I've just never had a non-threaded dispenser handy.

uplink
    Free Member

but why is it CO2 that is used for inflating tires

I used compressed air pretty much exclusively TBH 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

3) I think it's easily compressible as it probably liquifies under a little pressure

Shame on you Simon, didn't they teach you anything at school?
    CO2 does not liquify (at all).
    It transitions from gas directly to solid and vice versa, without existing in a liquid state (sublimation).

aracer
    Free Member

Didn't they teach you anything?
    It's only at normal atmospheric pressure that CO2 doesn't do a liquid state, and sfb does mention pressure!

elliptic
    Free Member

CO2 does not liquify (at all).

True at atmospheric pressure but not true in general

Pressure in a CO2 cartridge is 800-1000psi = around 60-70bar so just about forming a liquid phase at cool-ish room temperatures.

Olly
    Free Member

really ecky thump?
    i didnt know that!

could you get tablets of CO2 to drop in your valve stems then? like O2 pills in that gerry anderson comic i cant think of the name of…. "X2"?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

boogger – ya got me there

aracer
    Free Member

What's more, the very reason CO2 is used is the relative ease of turning it into a liquid using pressure!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

… slinks off to hide in shame

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Co2 is used as said previously its easily compressed into a liquid, air is not used as to compress enough air would need a more sturdy cylinder as it is not so easily liquefied.

Nitrogen is even more difficult to use in a liquid form and as for NOx im not sure who would supply it as its only manufactured in the UK by BOC who wont sell to anyone other than medical ie not to the motorsport industry.

Helium you must be kidding it would cost a fortune , the only reason we still fill balloons with it is that medical has to be ultra pure and boil off from these cant be condensed so its used in balloons. Plus its a finite resource

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, I'm glad to be vindicated! So, adding more gas to the cylinder won't take the pressure above the critical pressure at its temperature – though that will go up due to the latent heat released by condensation ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Plus its a finite resource

yes, helium atoms travel faster than the escape velocity of the planet at the temperature at the top of the atmosphere so are lost to space 🙁

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Well to be honest theres no way anyone would every take the tiny percentage out of the air , all the stuff in the UK comes from LPG fields in the US.

dan1980
    Free Member

simonlovesrocks – Member

Well to be honest theres no way anyone would every take the tiny percentage out of the air , all the stuff in the UK comes from LPG fields in the US.

Not strictly true. About 85% of the helium produced comes from the US but most of the UK stuff comes from Poland, Russia and Algeria. BOC have recently opened up a new plants in Australia and Qatar too.

Moses

Solid CO2 is dry ice, used by many ice-cream vans and theatres.
    So I guess you could get a dry ice "sand" that could be forced into tyres…
    Controlling the pressure might be an art, though

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Why CO2?’ is closed to new replies.