1963 - Mini Cooper - 630Kg
2014 - Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 - 1380kg
Mini Cooper 2014 NCAP rating - 5*
Mini Cooper 1963 NCAP rating - deathtrap
I remember a few cities in France where the motorway entered into a tunnel, you parked your car underground and popped up in a nice quiet city centre. I forget where though.
Move away from car ownership - rent a car when you need one.
As a mobile consultant, I'd like to see, for my job:
1) Vastly more telecommuting
2) Decent busses between my house and the train station (that'll take folding bikes)
3) Not having to wear 'office' clothes for work as it'd make clothing choices easier
4) A company account with an on-demand car hire place with depots everywhere
5) Not being obliged to own a car to get an extra £280/mo net salary (although I am not obliged to use it)
Re the i3 - shame the mpg is poor on generator, I'd have hoped it'd be better. I wonder if that's charging battery as well as running the car? I wish someone would do a long term test, in normal usage, and see how much petrol they actually end up using. On long trips you could probably do a few charges at motorway services.
Re the Tesla - not impressed tbh. Oh, batteries in electric cars are expensive and don't hold much charge. Our solution - fill the car with them anyway and charge £60k. We'll just fit a fatter motor (easy to do), make it tiny and call it a sports car.