Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Why can't you fart and pedal at the same time?
  • chief1409
    Free Member

You can’t when you are sitting on your seat and when you stand on the pedals, you have to stop pedalling before you can do the deed. Why?

vintagewino
    Free Member

a few months riding a fixed gear will teach you this essential skill

kerley
    Free Member

Try riding a fixed gear and you will discover how to do it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Using muscle groups against each other innit?

dannyh
    Free Member

You can fart whilst pedalling – it’s the result that makes it undesirable.

I can vouch it is possible whilst sitting down too – on Wednesday evening’s ride after supposedly recovering from a stomach bug I had to exhibit world-class bowel control to pedal uphill to a pub so I could offload. Had I lost control, I doubt my feet would have reached the pedals judging by what I did in the pub toilet.

To fart would not have been a problem. To live down the result with my riding buddies would have taken at least a decade.

matt_outandabout

You can’t pedal and fart, but you can smuggle ducks when walking…

tmb467
    Free Member

Flat or clipped?

And what about the pedals?

toby1

Clearly you weren’t monitoring my garage last weekend while I did a turbo session and cleared the pipes, It’s a worrying feeling though as you can’t quite gauge the outcome!

BigJohn

I pick my 6 yr old grandson up from school on Mondays and we cycle back the 4 miles together. I’m on my old fixed and he’s on his little Frog bike. I’ve been getting him started early and he’s quite good at it now. No mishaps yet.

matt_outandabout

No mishaps yet.

Having cleaned up the aftermath of a small persons mis-timed shart, you have better pray it doesn’t happen.

scaredypants

As all ^ posters seem to agree, it’s a doddle to fart and pedal all at once, as long as you’re happy to shite as well

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s a worrying feeling though as you can’t quite gauge the outcome!

Indeed, its psychological.
    It can be done, but almost certainly not worth the risk.

Good news for those taking the risk is a chamois should make a passable nappy.
    The bad news is those £180 Rapha bib shorts make expensive nappies.

onandon
    Free Member

You just need rhythm to fart and peddle. I choose left leg at the bottom of each stroke – I call it the BB30.
    Burrr,,,,,,,,,burrrr,,,,,,,,burrr,,,,,,burrr and so on

onandon
    Free Member

Pedal even. Jeez 🙂

jekkyl

lol. class. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed. I shall have to experiment on my next ride.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

it’s a doddle to fart and pedal all at once, as long as you’re happy to shite as well

And, because of gems like that, is why I’ve been on STW for well over a decade.

There must be a real reason for it though. It’s also impossible to swim and pee. Not pee in the pool, of course, but I always have to stop swimming to do so.

edhornby

Try it next time you are at the front of a chaingang, roadies love it*

*they really don’t

chief1409
    Free Member

Seems to be general agreement – my initial question was posed due to the fact that any time i’ve nearly completed the task I’ve bailed out at the fear of impending doom.

Totally agree about the can’t pee whilst swimming thing too. I’ve been asked in the past why i’ve let myself sink after falling in when windsurfing/waterskiing and made up some excuse about having a rest…..

kerley
    Free Member

There must be a real reason for it though

Whatever the reason, the fixed gear riders don’t seem to have a problem which can’t just be coincidence?
    Maybe the fact that they will go over the bars if they stop pedalling so that focuses the mind

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Why can't you fart and pedal at the same time?’ is closed to new replies.