Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • Why can't some people ride in single file on the road?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the road situation. 2 abreast vs single file really doesn't make much difference to a car as bikes are generally a LOT slower than cars are. If you can't overtake a bike, or two bikes whether in single file or 2 abreast, safely in a car you really shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Riding 2 abreast is good for 2 things:

Making cars slow and consider the overtake.
    Making cars angry.

Riding single file is good for 2 things:

Stretching out the length the car has to pass
    Making it less likely that the car struggles to pass by allowing them some room to make a mistake.

At the end of the day there's a right and wrong for every situation, and for every person in that situation, but they rarely are the same for all people in that situation (as seen in this thread).

IanMunro
    Free Member

Would you let your kids play on a busy road ?

Do you only do things that you let your kids do?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah coffeeking – if i lived in south englandshire im sure id just end up hiring out a race track or something to ride on at weekends. Cycling down there seems like madness.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Why can't some people in charge of motor vehicles drive them more safely for all concerned?

I agree, I also try to drive considerately, this includes giving cyclists enough space when I overtake which is sometimes difficult when riders are trying to take up all of the road.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gonna start another thread in a moment – but i have some marks on the rear of my van im going to paint – does anyone make a " leave cyclists room" sticker – similar to the "think bike" ones ? i could use to cover the badly painted marks

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Ian Munro

No… but I want to make sure that I'm here to stop them.

As such, riding on the road for the sake of it,to me, is utter madness.

Choose another sport it's just far too dangerous.

Who ever is at fault for that danger, cyclist are the ones putting myself in that position.

mk1fan
    Free Member

be considerate of other road users

Regardless of whether you're driving/riding/walking. Be aware of and act accordingly too your surroundings.

uplink
    Free Member

How did we ever manage to discover half the world?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

JEngledow – Member

I agree, I also try to drive considerately, this includes giving cyclists enough space when I overtake which is sometimes difficult when riders are trying to take up all of the road. – that would be giving them as much space as a car then – so it would make no difference if they were two abreast or not.

ourmaninthenorth

I agree, I also try to drive considerately, this includes giving cyclists enough space when I overtake which is sometimes difficult when riders are trying to take up all of the road.

Well, wait until it is safe enough to pass (whether they are riding in a double paceline or singled out). You'll get to the trail centre soon enough without having to endanger anyone else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

shit – didnt realise it was more dangerous than downhill mtb racing – which my parents actively encouraged when i was younger -age 12-18

im off to take up crochet

westkipper
    Free Member

Ro5ey, Its not up to you to decide whether someone is 'taking part in sport' or cycling to work. Cyclists (unlike motorists) have an automatic right to be on the road, and its YOUR obligation to drive safely around them.
    As others have said, Read CYCLECRAFT!

mk1fan
    Free Member

That is such a bad photograph. The car's in the wrong road position to overtake a car and you wouldn't leave that much space when overtaking a car. I think the 'rule' is badly worded too.

ETA: I'm not disagreeing with the principle just highlighting the shortcomings in the photo/wording.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes west kipper but you see the chain gangs & roadies who aren't really interested in iconvenient things that reduce their average speed like….junctions, or red lights…..why is that any better than chavs getting their kicks from thinking they are on racetrack in their clios?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the chain gangs & roadies who aren't really interested in iconvenient things that reduce their average speed like….junctions, or red lights

where ? middle of a race ?

ridden with alot of chaingangs and roadies – none have done what you describe unless in a race WHERE there are marshalls & signs on each junction

although just like in all walks of life there are some cocks – just like at trail centers there are always **** who drop their "red bull tins and gel packets"

JEngledow
    Free Member

TandemJeremy and ourmaninthenorth,

The issues I was having were on some of Oxfordshire’s country roads on Saturday, the roads are fairly narrow and don't have road markings, I don't mind waiting behind bikes while going around corners, but do get p*ssed off when they leave very little room for me to pass on the straights.

You'll get to the trail centre soon enough without having to endanger anyone else

For what it's worth I was working, so what's the need for this?? 🙄

westkipper
    Free Member

'You see the chain gangs and roadies that…' no, I dont. Any chain gang I've been part of has been 100% legal with zero tolerance for naughty boys or girls.
    And the thread was complaining about perfectly legal behaviour, not RLJing etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

JEngledow – were they taking up more width than a car? Were you able to pass safely on a straight stretch? could you have overtaken a car there?

I fail to see what your issue is – they have a right to ride on the road and you have a duty to pass safely and to leave at least as much room as you would a car.

hainey
    Free Member

Its all about mutual respect for other road users. A lot people seem to possess it, some people don't.

It goes for ALL road users. No one group has the right to be on the roads.

Tractors don't by law have to pull over and let cars past them, however where i live thats exactly what they do.

Caravan users don't have to do that either but having followed many through the roads of wales and scotland thats exactly what a lot do.

Cyclists don't have to pull over to a single file on the road to make it easier for cars to overtake, but most do.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Taking risks to discover the half the world ….. is somewhat different to getting kicks with your mates on a Sunday morning riding a bike on the road… its a past time a hobby that is all… Ridiculously a dangerous one.

I'd happily let my lad ride down hill comps as would I…. him and only him would be in control of the situation. Team sports are obvious good as well, where he wouldn't be so totally in control…. but his opposition is not going to be tonne or more of metal.

Road riding chain gangs are not riding to work… and I'd read as much literature as you could send me. BUT … its not ME you have to worry about, is it?

uplink
    Free Member

There's certainly roads that the extra metre needed to ride 2 abreast makes a safe overtake marginal & single file would make it [relatively] safe

I would hope most cyclists would recognise this & move to single file when required

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Actually hainey you are wrong – pedestrians cyclists and horse and there as of right – motorised vehicles have to be licensed and so do their drivers

westkipper
    Free Member

There's certainly a case for not allowing long tailbacks to form (where its unnecessary) but what I object to is motorists, many of whom haven't read the road properly, just expecting the cyclists to immediately jump out of the way.
    Or worse, You're doing average traffic speed, and the driver still is trying to pass, simply BECAUSE you're on two wheels.
    As we can see on this thread, there's a lot of people who dont know either the law, or the highway code.

hainey
    Free Member

TJ,

It makes NO difference at all. We all use the roads, so all should respect each other. Something a lot of people fail to see.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Actually hainey you are wrong – pedestrians cyclists and horse and there as of right – motorised vehicles have to be licensed and so do their drivers

While technically correct, in reality this is meaningless.

JEngledow
    Free Member

were they taking up more width than a car? Were you able to pass safely on a straight stretch? could you have overtaken a car there?

No, Yes, Yes.

I fail to see what your issue is – they have a right to ride on the road and you have a duty to pass safely and to leave at least as much room as you would a car.

My issue is that I was careful and passed safeley while other drivers may not have done, by riding 2/3 abreast the cyclists left less space for faster vehicles to overtake and so put themselves at greater risk.

It makes NO difference at all. We all use the roads, so all should respect each other. Something a lot of people fail to see.

+1

westkipper
    Free Member

"…something a lot of people fail to see" well, that was you hainey, and ro5ey, earlier in the thread. Nice to see you're being more reasonable now though! 😉

hainey
    Free Member

West Kipper, you seem to be hell bent on being argumentative and making things up. Why? Bored?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I fail to see what your issue is

I suppose that's fine if you assume cyclists are doing 15-20mph, generally it's not much of a hold-up, but consider, if you will, a car doing 10mph (sometimes less) in a 60 limit country road, you'd find that annoying and dangerous. The same is true of 2 slow cyclists riding 2 abreast in a country road. On a nice wide normal road it's no problem, and neither would the slow car be, but on some roads it just makes it more likely that someone will make a stupid move and benefits no-one, rights aside.

westkipper
    Free Member

Cynic al, ask Daniel Cadden about how meaningless the law is.
    hainey, I'm not bored at all, I'm just a roadie that is well versed in putting bad drivers right. And I've made nothing up.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think we all generally assume whatever vehicle we are in/on at the time has priority 🙂
    Good you don't do the things I've seen others do WK….when the red mist comes down on anyone on the road, it makes them behave selfishly. I used to do it as a kid but eventually I realised 99% of others are just trying to get from A to B without dying or any drama.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Not sure I was ever unreasonable. Just pointing out uncomfortable truths

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

JEngledow – Member

"were they taking up more width than a car? Were you able to pass safely on a straight stretch? could you have overtaken a car there?"

No, Yes, Yes.

In that case there is no issue at all – and by riding like that they are ensuring a car doesn't try to squeeze past where there is not enough room. Its actually safer to ride out into the road. Basci defensive riding.

Mark

I spent a day in London as a cycle courier.. The advice I was given by the guys who do it day in day out for a living is that make yourself visible. Take up your space.. Don't cower in the gutter or you will be killed. The pro's know how to handle traffic and stay alive and it isn't by keeping away from it.

JEngledow
    Free Member

TJ as you failed to read it last time I’ll post it again:

My issue is that I was careful and passed safely while other drivers may not have done, by riding 2/3 abreast the cyclists left less space for faster vehicles to overtake and so put themselves at greater risk.

I just wanted to know if there was any reason behind their choice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

west-kipper – where's the judgement? NO mention of that on the articles google brings up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes – its safer to ride like that – the line of bikes is shorter and by being further out into the road it is safer as visibility is greater.

HTH

Sancho
    Free Member

JEngledow
    if you had happened upon a large horse would you have been on horseriderworld.com moaning that horses shouldnt be on the road because fast cars are held up for a few seconds.

mrmo
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    The worry I have about road "pleasure" cycling is the same worry I have about people riding high performance motor bikes.

Both are using the public highway as a playground !!

That seems to me to be very dangerous. Especially to themselves but also to other road users who are not "playing" but trying to get from A to B.

Others don't want to be in their "game" but have no choice if they come across them or are involved in a incident with them.

Would you let your kids play on a busy road ?

Then why are they

How many car journeys are neccessary? most journeys are under a couple of miles, so are obviously as pointless as riding a bike. Why shouldn't kids play in the street, that has been the norm for generations, and to be blunt makes an environment a better place to be than the sterile city scape of new build flats and houses designed with the car as king. I have seen estates with no pavements, the whole environment is designed for cars with no consideration for other users and this in a residential area!

westkipper
    Free Member

JEngledow, I recognised that yours was a mostly honest question, and I hope that the answers that we've given hint that its not simply a matter of being selfish/ confrontational with group riding.
    Sometimes theres very good reasons behind the way cyclists ride, that are not always obvious to the following motorist.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Why can't some people ride in single file on the road?’ is closed to new replies.