Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • why can't I stop craving/eating junk food?
  • renton
    Free Member

I need help!!!

I’ve decided that this year I really want to lose weight and get healthier so I decided that today was the day I would start by cutting carbs and junk food out of my diet.

I was doing really well until this evening where my cravings have just got the better of me and I went and bought a chocolate bar, sausage roll and bottle of coke.

I have felt weird all day and I’m nit sure why, just really restless and haven’t been able to stop thinking about food!!

What is going on??

tomhoward

Its the crack the sprinkle on it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Lack of self control..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Houns

Cuz yous faaaaat

jonahtonto
    Free Member

shitty food its full of fat and sugar because these things are cheap to produce and are really really addictive.
    the more you hold off the easier it gets.

renton
    Free Member

So basically I need to man up an. The cravings should hopefully go away??

AdamW
    Free Member

Yes. Just imagine that the sausage roll is hora’s gentlemanparts to prevent another attack.

No need to thank me. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Read up on how sugar affects your brain. Just consider it like you woud cigarettes or some other drug.

Also – don’t try and eat too little. Eat well, just not sugar, white bread, or much of pasta, rice etc – starchy food really. Sugar and white bread though the most important I reckon.

fadda

renton – I have to break the habit once in a while, and I turn into a bit of a “food-nazi” (please try not to be offended, everyone…).

I cut out all biscuits, sweets, cake, chocolate and crisps for a period e.g. January, Lent – other periods are available. I stick to it rigidly, and it really does get easier after the first few days.

It also helps if I think of it as “I don’t eat these things”, rather than “I can’t have these…”

jekkyl

wys has it, get some self control. I have the same problem with lager and nuts. Just don’t buy them and don’t give in.
    Give your cash/card to your partner/mum/whatever and instruct them to only give you money for essentials. Also, don’t be so hard on yourself, you’ve just started.
    Good luck fatty 😉

renton
    Free Member

Cheers fellas!!

It’s weird as I have been properly craving crap food all day!!

Now I’ve had some I don’t feel any better for it!

New start tomorrow.

renton
    Free Member

I think some of the problem is that I am on a course and Sat on my own in a room with not a lot to do and get bored really quickly!!

Not even got my bikes with me!

nicko74

It’s a vicious circle, unfortunately. Eating junk food gives you a fix, but means that you need to eat it again a few hours or days later.

The only way out is to go cold turkey; after a while – few weeks, months or whatnot – it eventually clears, and you don’t get the cravings so much

pop-larkin
    Free Member

If tempted to go to Greggs I wait outside for a bit and see what physical shape the customers are in who are coming out- usually puts me off going in

chewkw
    Free Member

Try some MSG … :mrgreen:

ton

IDIET = WIN

theotherjonv

Majority of diets will leave you hungry, assuming we accept overeating as the major cause of getting fat. There are some foods / types of foods that fill you up better for longer, but rather than getting into discussions on that, instead find ways to cope with being hungry / craving certain foods. Namely, find something else to do other than being hungry – get some exercise, read a good book, watch a good film. ‘No-one ever got hungry while skydiving’

bobmac892

why can’t I stop craving/eating junk food?

‘Cos you’re me?

MoreCashThanDash

I have the same problem – it’s easy to tell me/us it’s just about will power, we know that already. What we need are practical tips/tricks that people have used to distract from the craving until the vicious cycle is broken.

Telling us to just MTFU tends to create the belief that we have failed again and so we might as well give in – again.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Renton, earlier:

Too obvious? Sorry 😕

renton
    Free Member

Rob Hilton believe it or not I used to look like that hence the nickname!!

Morecashthandash has hit the nail on the head!!

MSP

What we need are practical tips/tricks that people have used to distract from the craving until the vicious cycle is broken.

1 Create a weekly meal plan including snacks, stick 2 it (I actually repeat the same plan 4 times then come up with a new one).
    2. Keep a food diary and be honest, if you use an app or online tracker, take 5 mins at the end of the day to write it down properly into a journal with a quick sentence about how you thought you did ie did well today stuck to the plan, or had a bar from the vending machine after a stressful meeting will do better tomorrow, etc.
    3. Drink plenty of water or milk-less tea, the body/mind easily confuses thirst and hunger.
    4 Sometimes life just gets in the way of good intentions, roll with it and don’t think you have failed when it does, just get back on track as soon as you can.

Kryton57

What we need are practical tips/tricks that people have used to distract from the craving until the vicious cycle is broken…

As a bloke that gains weight easily, the falling numbers in terms of weight and % fat on the bathroom scales does it for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Man Up is the advice, also don’t put yourself in the trap don’t go near the stuff don’t have it in the house.

Though a little bit of what you want isn’t bad 🙂

This may help…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UOeigM70Wg[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

I stop craving for food once I got the MSG dosage.

Unlike sugar or salt, MSG actually stop me craving for more because it gives me the taste I crave for.

Seriously try it. You do not have to have a lot of it. No, it will not turn you into zombie or any hyperactive maggot.

I usually go for Ajinomoto brand … :mrgreen:

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This may help…

Not quite sure why that would help him? anyone with half a brain knows it’s processed meat bits?????. 90% of that vid just shows burger type things on a conveyor belt, eh???.

tonyd

It’s weird as I have been properly craving crap foodcigarettes all day!!

Now I’ve had some I don’t feel any better for it!

New start tomorrow. I feel your pain. When I get cravings for cigarettes that I cant handle I moan like f*ck until it stops. If I’m at work they tend to stop faster as everyone tells me to shut up.

When I eventually cave in and light up I feel dizzy for a bit, then sick, then take a dump and sit there wondering why I just did that. Again.

Cigarettes and crap food = addictive junk we really should do without 🙂

(Haven’t caved in yet btw!)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you’re hungry drink something. Sure I heard most of the time you think you’re hungry you’re actually thirsty..

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Buy a big bag of almonds, every time I wanted to eat something I wasn’t supposed to I just ate a handful of those instead. Helped me. Or I’d look at a photo of myself where I look really fat and tell myself THAT FAT BASTARD ATE CAKE, YOU WANT TO BE HIM?!?!

footflaps

Buy a big bag of almonds, every time I wanted to eat something I wasn’t supposed to I just ate a handful of those instead.

That works for me too, a tiny handful really fills you up.

binners

Why not just sacrifice the coke and chocolate, and just have the sausage roll?

and a pie

franksinatra

just imagine that the sausage roll is hora’s gentlemanparts to prevent another attack.

I have the same problem with lager and nuts

anyway, the NHS BMI calculator told me yesterday that I am obese. 😯 Guess who is feeling your pain as well!

niksnr
    Free Member

You could concentrate on foods which have a higher protein content. This will help to give you the feeling of being “full” for longer (I’m not talking burgers and kebabs here!). The almond tip above is a good one as they contain a lot of good fats that help in digestion and also contain protein. You could also try green tea extract, CLA and chromium picolinate. All are said to help you feel satiated and stop the cravings for sugar/crap carbs. I take a protein shake by Lonsdale called Feed n’Lean. It contains all those I’ve mentioned but there are plenty more out there as well. I used to be a chocolate monster but don’t give it a second thought now.

Pigface
    Free Member

I allow myself one can of coke a day, I used to drink way to much. I am amazed at how quickly the weight is coming off. I still eat a bar of chocolate everynow and then, but swim 1 km about 4/5 times a week and play badminton once a week. Time on the bike has been sacrificed for the swimming at the moment. I am just eating less as well.

spacemonkey

I make my own healthier version of fast foods and have them when I feel like it. It feeds my fix and I’m happy.

Burgers = mince (beef or pork or both), herbs/spices, oyster sauce to bind, egg yolk. Cook in a griddle on a high heat. Serve in a wrap or with salad or sweet potato wedges.

KFC = chicken, herbs/spices (my own secret recipe 🙂 ), breadcrumbs/panko. Cook in the oven. Serve with whatever.

Kofte kebab = lamb mince, spices, breadcrumbs, crushed nuts/seeds/dried fruit. Cook in a griddle on high heat. Serve.

Meatballs = pork mince + spices according to the vibe I’m after, eg. Thai, Italian, Indian etc. Just add to whatever sauce you want and you’ve got a banging meatball dish.

Curry = take your pick as there are loads.

It’s easy to make batches so you can freeze several portions.

Blah blah.

sazter

Eat more meat. Fill up on meat and veg, limit fruit intake, white carby rubbish and no refined sugar.

The first 3 days I had killer cravings, I could have killed small children, after 3 days they went away. I lost a load of weight, gained energy and better sleep patterns. Have been bad over xmas with all the bad carbs & sugar so getting back on track. 🙂

Good luck, push through the 3 day mark and it should get easier. You may crash and get headaches in those early days, I did.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘why can't I stop craving/eating junk food?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts