Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • why cant i lose weight ???
  • renton
    Free Member

hi all , i need your collective help

basically im overweight (6 foot and 18.5 stone!) but carry it well so im told .

im in the airforce and because i cant pass my fitness test(bleep test ) im worried im going to get a warning.

i was in cyprus for 3 years and towards the end of my tour i strted to lose a few kilos but it didnt feel like much for all the effort i was putting in.(going to the gym 5 times a week for an hour and doing loads of cardio and weights)

since ive been back in the uk my fitness has gone to **** ,probably because im depressed about the crap job im doing (sat round most of the day) and im starting to feel really lethargic and tired all the time.

i tried to start a new routine but failed almost straight away as i come down with the mans flu bug and feel like crap .

im deperate to loose some of the weight and get myself fitter for my kids sakes as i dont want to be one of these daddy who cant play footy with them as hes too out of breath .

i dont smoke, never have done and i hardly drink.

i do like my food though.

got plent of time on my hands but really struggling to get motivated .

the only excersie i do at the moment is ride my bike on sunday mornings and walk the dog every nite.

where do i start.???

cheers

steve

alwyn
    Free Member

Endurance running!

Carry on eating, but eat healthy. Just run 10 + miles at a high heart rate 3 times a week (or aim to work up to that). Your fitness will go up and you will lose weight.

miketually
    Free Member

Eat less. Move more.

renton
    Free Member

forgot to add that i have real problems running and have had duoble anterior compartment syndrome problems for quite a while.

ton

renton, some of us are always gonna be big mate.
    i am 6ft4 and 21 stone.
    i have dieted and trained my ass off. i got down to 18 stone.
    i was hungry constantly and put the weight back on.
    i can ride all day on any terrain, no problem.
    i commute to work every working day of the year 14 miles a day.

sometimes you have to accept who and what you are.
    i love to turn up to ride with people i have never met, only to get the ‘who’s this fat bloke trying to ride a bike’ only to be still spinning at the side of em 5 or 6 hours later.

fat can be fit mate.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Its all about the food dude, take it from me, I am 15 stone 6 foot and find it difficult to shed the fat until I maintain a healthy diet combined with the exercise (currently riding four times a week). I am also partial to the odd drink so cutting that makes a difference as well.
    Cut out the fatty foods for a month (nothing fried), reduce the red meat intake, no snacks between meals, less dairy -all pretty basic stuff but makes a hell of a difference – I should stick to my own advice a bit more having said that – right im off to chew on some carrot sticks………

iainc

ton – hope you don’t mind me asking – what age are you ?

…feel free to tell me to **** off… -)

renton
    Free Member

cheers for the nice words ton!!!

i never fry owt , my meat is always grilled.

my food for the day goes like this….

breakfast:-
    orange juice
    coffee 2 sugars
    toast(2 slices)
    cereal(cornflakes or readybrek)3 spoons of sugar

mid morning

packet of crisps
    2 slices of malt loaf
    penguin choccy bar

lunch
    4 slices of bread making chicken and coleslaw sarnies
    crisps
    choccy bar

tea
    whatever the wife cooks but usually
    somthing with oven chips

just by listing that i can see it rubbish

help!!!

ton

iainc, 42 mate
    i played rugby league at a high standard from the age of 16 to 34.
    my weight was between 17 and 18.5 stone over that period.
    i competed in age group triathlons at 17 stone.
    i have always been big, but always been okish at endurance type sport.

renton
    Free Member

ton like you i can ride my bike all day at a steady pace but ask me to do some sprinting and im **** very quickly!!!

ton

tortoise/hare.

devoid_punk
    Free Member

It’s all about diet, not exercise. Exercise makes us tired and hungry – not good conditions for controlling what we eat! Make sure that you limit the calories going in. Exercise only burns energy from food recently eaten (which is why we can ‘blow up’ on a long ride when the muscle glycogen runs out), and fat is only burned when the body is deprived of it’s usual energy source (enough food). It is not possible to exercise intensively on stored fat. That energy you’re sweating out is from the food you ate that day. Cut out the middleman and simply eat less.

Building fat fast and releasing it slowly is a life saving biological process – as used by all mammals. We build and store fat very efficiently, because excess energy consumed is put away by the body for times when food runs out – which it would do if we lived in the wild, but will never do with supermarkets and pizza delivery. The fat is to cover periods of starvation (like the winter in the wild), and will only be released slowly as an emergency energy source. None of this potentially life saving resource will not be given up to an hour in the gym, or even four hours on the bike.

Avoid all sugar. The body’s fat burning process is called ketosis, and ketosis doesn’t happen whilst simple sugars are being digested. Control your calories down to less than 1,000 per day and avoid sugar. It worked for me.

I lost 13kg (over 2 stone) in 8 weeks this spring, simply by bearing these facts in mind and acting accordingly. I went from 14 st to (at my lightest point) 11 st 11 lbs. My waist went from tight in 36 jeans to comfy in 32s – all in a couple of months. It is possible to lose weigh, if you just take notice of the biology.

miketually
    Free Member

That’s a shit-load of food!

My food today:

Breakfast: small bowl of Cheerios with honey, cup of tea
    Mid-morning: piece of home-made chocolate brownie with a cup of tea
    Dinner: two wholemeal buns with tune and sweetcorn, two plums, satsuma, apple and a cup of tea. Plus a Twix and another cup of tea
    Tea: Chinese take-away (chilli chicken and chips), two cans of Becks

This is the wrong day for me to post my meals for the day 🙂 Normally it’s as above but without the Twix and with a pasta bolognese or something for tea.

I’m a naturally-skinny 5’11" and 12 stone. Like Ton says some people are naturally bigger than others, but eating loads of crisps won’t help! Listing what you’ve eaten and realising that it’s rubbish is probably the best first step. Why not make step 2 taking some fruit to work to eat instead of the crisps, malt loaf and choccy bar? Little steps…

didgerman
    Free Member

If you want to burn fat, do your training in the fat burning zone: long and slow. Really not sure about your condition, but it sounds like a word with the Doc is in order before you start anything new.
    Have a google for Philip Maffetone….

tails
    Free Member

This is what you could maybe do

cheers for the nice words ton!!!

i never fry owt , my meat is always grilled.

my food for the day goes like this….

breakfast:-
    orange juice
    coffee 1 sugar or canderel
    toast(2 slices)
    cereal(cornflakes or readybrek)

mid morning

handfull of mixed nuts

lunch
    4 slices of bread making chicken and coleslaw sarnies
    fruit

tea
    whatever the wife cooks but usually
    somthing with oven chips

just by listing that i can see it rubbish

help!!!

grumm
    Free Member

Cut down on the carbs.

iainc

ton,

well I’m same age, a lot lighter although still a bit more than I should be and secretly quite happy I couldn’t make Gt/Inners at NY, eevn though it’s my ‘local’ -)

good on ya….

Keva
    Free Member

Renton,

To start cut out the sugar from your coffee & cereals. Add a bit of museli to your cornflakes instead. Cut out the mid morning snack, eat some fruit if you are hungry. Cut out the crisps and chocolate bar from your lunch. A high sugar intake will give you spikes of energy and then leave you feeling lethargic.

K

iht4
    Free Member

As has been said previously controlling the calories is the only way I find that works. In my experience, reducing this will make you feel less lethargic. The only way I have succeeded in this is by using a food diary. Currently using thedailyplate.com which is helping me to be more aware of what passes my lips. & hopefully helping me reach my target in the great STW fat club!!

ton

today i ate

bacon/spam/tomato buttie

savory cheese/ham buttie
    crisps

fish n chips
    4 slices of bread

about 10 teas/coffees with 1 sugar in each.

i am a bad bad man…. 😈

devoid_punk
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what the food is, carbs or fat or protein. It’s all calories and you need to contol them to a certain limit so that you’re always in energy deficit. You body will make up the shortfall by using ketosis to metabolise the stored fat.

grumm
    Free Member

it does matter what the food is – I only successfully managed to lose weight with a low carb diet. Although it seems to be a key thing that I feel less hungry when eating less carbs. Hard to combine with doing lots of exercise though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Try eating more soups. They keep you full for longer and discourage snacking.

Also, do you have time to go night riding? Just thought biking might be more enjoyable than that soul-destroying gym stuff.

Maybe go riding by yourself more anyway – you’ll stop to chat less (hopefully!)

ton

soup keeps you full, are you mad

PIE keeps you full mate.

glenh
    Free Member

Man, you lot eat a load of crap!

ton

to true glen
    any tips to change me.

TooTall
    Free Member

renton

drop me an email at chinecap at h0tma1l d0t c0m – I may have a couple of pointers for you – being taller, nearly as heavy and in a related field of work. Give me a shout.

TooTall
    Free Member

oh

ton

you really eat crap and seem to want to perpetuate being ‘the big bloke who can’. You are not going to last long.

hitman
    Free Member

This is what works for me:

Don’t drink or drink very little alcohol
    Eat every 2 hours or so but only small snacks/meals
    Eat no bread/ very little carbohydrates
    No butter/margarine
    Skimmed milk
    No sugar
    Eat lots of fruit and veg
    Eat oily fish as protein
    No chocolate

A typical snack would be one banana, one tangarine, low fat yogurt and small quantity of walnuts

Basically when ever I’m hungry between larger meals I eat fruit with yogurt.

Due to injury/operation my cardio has been and continues to be quite limited and I’ve put on weight.

Following above diet in one week, and going to the gym every other day (with 30mins stationary bike plus weights), I’ve lost 1 pound in weight and 1 inch off my waist, which is the key – don’t lose weight too quickly and measure your waist for accurate progress as you might be losing fat but gaining muscle.

Hope this is of some help but you really have to be disciplined and can’t cheat with snacks of crisps, chocolate etc.

ton

tootall
    that is what i ate today
    i actually eat pretty good.

and you my friend do not know anything about me.

TooTall
    Free Member

*shrugs*

its how you come across on here

*shrugs*

ton

too tall, i tell the truth and speak my mind.

if you do not like it mate

a, ignore it
    b, do not post about it.

glenh
    Free Member

Ton, hopefully without trying to sound a cock, why post about it yourself, if you want people to ignore it?

tankslapper
    Free Member

GI Diet – made sense and worked for me

Oh! And long llllllloooooonnnnnnngggg cycle rides.

ton

glen, i was telling tootall to ignore it mate.
    if he did not like or agree.

i post because someone like me was asking advice, which he seemed happy with.

Jamie
    Free Member

devoid_punk – Member

…….Control your calories down to less than 1,000 per day and avoid sugar. It worked for me…..

Is that even healthy? Or for that matter sustainable as a long term solution?

Not having a go, just curious.

glenh
    Free Member

It isn’t. 1000 calories a day is not enough for an active person. You do need more calories out than in to lose weight obviously, but less than half what you should be eating is not sensible, healthy or sustainable.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

In my twenties, I weighed 8 stone, and always wanted to put on weight. I’m 5’4 1/2". I would easily eat more than some of the daily amounts above. At one point, I was worried I had worms. If I didn’t take on loads of calories, I would feel faint, on long bike rides. Friends just could not believe where all the food went. I once got told off by the staff, in a Chinese restaurant, for taking too long to finish. They were wanting to serve desert, and I was finishing off all the stuff that was left. It was like a pig at a trough. Obscene.

When I worked as a cycle courier, it just went mental. Mind, I was doing quite a few miles a week, at a very quick pace.

But I was always active; cycling, swimming,gym, footy. Always on the go. Only when I got past 30, and my metabolism slowed, did I put on weight. I now drink a lot more than I used to, but still get regular exercise. I weigh 9 stone and rising, and aim to put on a bit more, although I will be keeping it firm with swimming 3 times a week.

I know ‘big’ people who can put on half a stone just looking at a picture of a cake.

Strange thing, the human body…

kinda666
    Free Member

I love my food way too much! Had cheese slice and corned beef on toast for breaky, pasta and a piece of cake for lunch and chippy chips for tea, with some chrimbo chocs as a treat! :o(
    bad day today, feel an extra chin comin on and only got 2 days till next fat club way in!

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. you can calculate energy requirements here:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘why cant i lose weight ???’ is closed to new replies.