Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Why can't I chuck my old tyres away?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Every time I buy a new tyre I always think to myself “that old one isn’t too worn, I’ll just keep it as a spare for summer”. I have a garage full of part worn tyres that I’ll never use FFS. I even keep bushes and bearings when I change them if they’re not too bad. As if I’m ever going to replace a worn bearing with another worn bearing from my “box of bits” Am I really the only one who finds it hard to chuck stuff away?

scaled
    Free Member

Stick them on the classified, some Muppet like me will buy them.

I honestly don’t know why I buy half the crap I do, maybe I’ve got a thing for our postie or something.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

So, I’m not the only one who does this?

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont do the rest but I do keep tyres that are worn or I consider so shit I will never use them …no idea why

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yup. I did throw some away earlier in the year, but then, for msome reason, I pulled a couple out of the heap and thought, well I’ll just keep these… 🙄

thepurist

I’m terrible with old tyres too… “they might come in handy if I need to build up a commuter” or “now 26ers ate dead these’ll be hard to come by” etc etc

And brake pads that aren’t quite down to the metal – I’ll never use them but binning them just seems wrong.

stufive
    Free Member

Hmm got a loftspace above my outhouse full of em 😀

emac65
    Free Member

Yep,guilty of that as well…. 😳

STATO
    Free Member

I got to this point, managed to convince myself for the most part to give stuff away whenever a mate was in need of a part, meant i kept a riding buddy so actually had someone to ride with and kept me in booze down the pub. Obviously depends what your giving away but the old brakes, bars, tyres, saddles, cables, cable outers etc. that i kept ‘just in case’ are all now considered donateable should someone turn up at mine with their bike(s!). I do mean to take the rest of the stuff to the local bike-recycle place but never seem to have time… 🙄

SamuelLam
    Free Member

I have a tin of bearings, chains and other bits of metal that I collect and eventually get to recycle at our local dump.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I tried to convince myself that some of my very well worn tyres would be great to save for occasional use on dry dusty summer days ‘cos they’re now semi-slink, init. I’ve still never quite found the occasion.. 😆

STATO
    Free Member

I see people on the classifieds trying to sell leftover bolts….

the mind boggles

uwe-r
    Free Member

I could do with some decent but almost knackered road bike tyres. Anyone want to donate some for postage + a pint?

aP
    Free Member

We donate all our old bike bits to the Cycles for Africa scheme run by Action Bikes. We’d rather the stuff went to help someone.

d4
    Free Member

I sold a stack at a car boot sale last summer seemed to sell quite well.

chip
    Free Member

With everything happening in the Middle East and north korea you best hang on to them.

You may find yourself pootleing along a post apocalyptic wasteland on a bitsa wearing nothing but a Mohican and a pair of chaps, only stopping to share a tin of dog food with your ever faithfull trail buddy fido.

I’ll get my coat.

paul4stones

I do this. Mind you, I just found a little camera case which fits a little camera I bought recently. You never know, it might come in!

dingabell
    Free Member

I do the brake pads thing too. I’ve just found a mech hanger in my camelbak that I thought might come in handy even though I don’t even have the bike anymore! And don’t even get me started on magazine freebies. I’ve got the worlds largest collection of crap padlocks, crap front and back lights and hideous bandanas.

matt_outandabout

Give them to the local school as loose play materials.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I keep tyres to. Even nes that think are rubbish…no idea why though.

I also keep part worn brake pads amongst other pointless stuff like longish off cuts of brake hose…you know the bits that seem too long to through away but you know they’re much too short to actually be of any use. I’ve to loads of short bits of Goodridge coiled up in my spares box. There’s loads of other tat in my various boxes of stuff.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Why can't I chuck my old tyres away?’ is closed to new replies.