Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why Can We Have a Rugby World Cup in Winter But Not a Football One?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

As the title? Both seem no to fall in the premier leagues of the two sports.

alanl
    Free Member

Because the football Clubs have the power in football, and the Governing Bodies let them get away with it.
    Rugby still sees the World Cup and 6 Nations as a showcase for the sport, attracting supporters to lower levels, but football Clubs are not at all interested in supporting their National team or the World Cup, they pay a lot for the players, and want them to play only for them.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well there’s a bit of that but also, football is much bigger business than rugby and that business is set up to run according to the routine it’s used to. The period over christmas* is traditionally the biggest part of the season in terms of revenue for clubs so anything that disrupts it is problematic. Add to that the potential for players to be injured or to miss training whilst away and the massive price inflation that will likely happen in the january transfer window and I can see why they’re cautious.

*Less so for other countries

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Because nobody cares about chasing eggs around a football pitch?

MSP

Because supporting a rugby club is pointless when all your best players get taken away from you for half a year to take part in international competitions.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of course we can have a winter football world cup. The real issue is that 1,000+ people have died in slave labour conditions building the stadiums and FIFA have done nothing about it. What they have done is move the tournament so the footballers aren’t too hot.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume, I dont follow Rugby, that the WC does not happen in the middle of the season

The reason is also tradition and I would rephrase

Why should the rest of the football world change because they were bribed to give the WC to a nation where it is too hot to play it at the tome it has always been played

They have shat on us all for , IMHO, bribes

jfletch
    Free Member

Money

In rugby the “clubs” round the world get a lot of their funding from the governing bodies and this revenue comes from international fixtures. This may be in the form of direct payments or central contracts for players etc. English and French clubs are the richest in their own right and are in part imune from this but the IRB control the international calendar to suits both norther and southern hemisphere clubs.

In football it’s the other way round. The clubs in part fund the governing bodies. They have more power. But FIFA are rich in their own right, hence the power struggle.

Also climate plays a part. Novemeber is just a good time to play rugby round the world. Early sping in the south, autumn in the north so the ground isn’t too hard. This is less of problem now with watering of pitches etc but when the RWC was set up pre 1987 it was more relevant.

D0NK

They have shat on us all for , IMHO, bribes

sound financial sense.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I assume, I dont follow Rugby, that the WC does not happen in the middle of the season

The RWC is always in the middle of either the Northern or Southern Hemisphere season depending on wherre it’s held

Football WC is traditionally help out of season for the Northern Hemisphere nations as they dominate.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I can’t see how the Prem League could operate whilst the WC was on, seeing as most of the players (in the top teams) are all Internationals and would be away.

Because nobody cares about chasing eggs around a football pitch?

I think you’ll find egg chasing is done on Rugby pitch….doh! Football is played using a round ball.

johndoh
    Free Member

Football WC is traditionally help out of season for the Northern Hemisphere nations as they dominate.

Football WC is held at the end of long seasons for most European teams. Having it in the winter will probably help us – had a few months getting back into things after the summer break but before too many have picked up injuries and/or are exhausted.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I can’t see how the Prem League could operate whilst the WC was on, seeing as most of the players (in the top teams) are all Internationals and would be away.

It wouldn’t. Which would lead to a massive gap in the narratives which the clubs and media use to keep fans engaged – right before the most important part of the season.

Add to that the fact that people will spend a lot of their “football money” on watching the world cup (i.e. new tvs, time in the pub, travel and ticket expenses) at a time when finances are stretched anyway and it’s easy to see why there might be a significant impact on the clubs’ bottom lines.

hels
    Free Member

and anyway, I think you mean Soccer.

DaRC_L

Because supporting a rugby club is pointless when all your best players get taken away from you for half a year to take part in international competitions.

Hmm that’s why the LV= cup is on
    additionally the premier league games that do occur give the teams at the bottom of the league a window to take some extraordinary wins whilst the internationals are away – then the international players have to return and really prove their worth.
    Racks up the excitement IMO

patriotpro
    Free Member

What i don’t get is why they have granted the WC to a nation with an unsuitable climate AND THEN decide that they need to change the timing of it because it is unsuitable.
    It’s like they only found out about the 40-50′ Summers the other day.

lemonysam
    Free Member

What i don’t get is why they have granted the WC to a nation with an unsuitable climate AND THEN decide that they need to change the timing of it because it is unsuitable.

IMHO, bribes

jfletch
    Free Member

I think some of the oposition to the winter world cup in this country may be fairly shortsighted.

In rugby the clubs have recently seen the impact of a home world cup and a world cup win has on their bottom line and it’s phenonminally positive.

In football in this country the WC is only every only ever a side show to the premier league. A win might change this and drive a massive growth in interest in football and therefore revenue to the clubs, enough to more than make up for a short hiatus for 2 months once every 4 years.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The two events are not really comparable as the rugby world cup is a fairly new invention, with only limited appeal with interest split between a handful of nations in the northern and southern hemispheres.

The football world cup on the other hand is a global event with a much longer history and tradition – all that history is based around the tournament being in the summer in the northern hemisphere, much like how the summer Olympics are that time of year regardless of what hemisphere they are being held.

What i don’t get is why they have granted the WC to a nation with an unsuitable climate AND THEN decide that they need to change the timing of it because it is unsuitable. It’s like they only found out about the 40-50′ Summers the other day.

The FIFA technical report before the bidding recognised all this, Qatar was ranked the worst place to host it and the unsuitability of the climate was a big part of that. The technical committee only provides recommendations though it was the member states that voted for it and thats where the bribery comes in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OH and remember if you go dont be gay 🙄

Asked in December 2010 to give advice to gay fans wishing to attend the tournament, he said: “I’d say they should refrain from any sexual activities.”

Thanks Sepp…what wont you do for money ?

teenrat

Its because the bidding process was for a summer world cup, so that’s what it should be. Qatar bid for a summer world cup, who cant host it in the summer – therefore they shouldn’t have bid for it. FIFA are completely clueless and the fact that Qatar is very hot during the summer seemed to have been overlooked due to “other incentives”.

martinhutch

Don’t worry, we’ll probably be at war with Russia before Moscow 2018, so the staging of the 2022 champs will be less important.

I feel cheated though. Watching unfit English players huffing and puffing in the heat would have made the tournament for me. I love how some pundits are being quoted saying England have a chance of winning 2022 because of the change.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think you’ll find egg chasing is done on Rugby pitch….doh! Football is played using a round ball.

never mind …. 🙄

theotherjonv

While i agree with everything above about the importance of club vs country in the different codes, the impact of bent bidding processes on awarding the WC to a country that is unsuited to it, etc. – there’s another 7 years to sort out the playing schedules to overcome it. Storm in a teacup, IMHO.

The other argument I’ve heard is that with a month break mid-season for the WC, players may return injured and they don’t have the luxury of July and half of August to recover, they’ll be straight back into playing league games which may impact on results which may impact on league positions / who gets into the Champions league and yadayadayada. Which again to me is just another spurious argument demonstrating the importance of club vs country in football. If you fill your side with English players, they’ll only play 3 games anyway and then get 2 weeks mid season recuperation!

jambalaya
    Free Member

What happened to Qatar’s World Cup Cooling Technology

Note: real answer was it was all a load of bullsh.t

jambalaya
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

I struggle to see why any English football fan would care much about the world cup anyway.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why Can We Have a Rugby World Cup in Winter But Not a Football One?’ is closed to new replies.