Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why buy new?
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Just bought a preloved road bike. Less than a year old, a few choice add on’s.
    2 specialized bottle cages
    specialized pump
    saddle bag with multi tool all specialized

And you guessed it the bike is a specialized allez sport. it has done very few miles. It still had the reflectors on the front, back and on the wheels.
    It even had a bloody bell!

To be honest i might keep the bell. 8)
    I think they go for aroun £800. I got it for £400. bloody bargin!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Here here.

Hardly bought any bikes new for years.

xiphon
    Free Member

Some people like the shiny shiny new feeling.

If nobody bought new, there would be no second hand market….

(same with cars – who buys something which depreciates so quickly??)

aP
    Free Member

Shrugs – one road bike was ordered in 1996 and frame delivered in 97, still riding it. The other was ordered and delivered in 2005 – still riding that as well.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Buy New…so I can buy it off you later at a fair price 🙂

z1ppy

for a warranty maybe?

psykx

I’ve bought new because I want an exact bike, not something that is nearly there. Also if your buying carbon, aluminium or any bike that is likely so have seen any abuse, it’s hard to tell exactly when something will need replacing.

also I like shiny things.

seizednuts
    Free Member

Hmmmm. I guess I’m doing this wrong.

Buy new shiny bikes every year and dispose of them cos you realy dont need it anymore.

I am offering to recycle your “old worn out top of the range one year old clunker for free”

I will even collect from your house :mrgreen:

eyerideit
    Free Member

Never buy new cars, bike, houses

But do buy new pants, shoes and socks.

IamSam
    Free Member

Buy new and get the opportunity to purchase on finance normally 0% from a shop who you then get to know you. You also get manufacturer warranty. Because you bought it from a shop that now knows you if anything does go wrong there more inclined to help you out if you go in with a last minute repair job, may even lend you the tools. You know whats been done to the bike through out its life coz you’ve done it 😀

Only got two bikes both bought from new ones a proper triggers broom though frame replaced under warranty.

mrmo
    Free Member

buy new and you know your not fueling the bike thieves. It is too easy to nick a bike break it and flog it though ebay, classifieds etc.

All those bikes are going somewhere, whether you want to believe it or not.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Also if your buying carbon, aluminium or any bike that is likely so have seen any abuse, it’s hard to tell exactly when something will need replacing.

When I’m buying a 2nd hand bike, the frame is the most important thing. As long as it’s in good condition (no major dings/marks/scratches etc), with minimal signs on wear in bearings and drivetrain is enough to make a judgement on the condition, isn’t it?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Buy new when reduced to used prices and get best of both worlds. Just got some ultegra wheels for road bike from ribble, with discount code 202 quid. Used pair sold same day on eBay for 190 + 15 postage. Check out pauls cycles for half price bikes, and have seen all sorts of quality mtb frames at used prices (ibis mojo, turners, yetis all close to half price in last year or so). I paid less for my XT770 disc brakes new than they are going for on the bay (also from ribble as it happens).

Buying new isn’t a mugs game, paying full rrp possibly is.

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve got some 2nd-hand corn here, looks like new, 50% off RRP

dizcostix
    Free Member

I bought my ’08 nomad frame new in ’09 for a reasonable discount – defo worth it for the free lifetime bearing replacement policy

mrmo
    Free Member

Buying new isn’t a mugs game, paying full rrp possibly is.

depends, for things where you need a shops help, forks etc. i would be more willing to pay rrp, for a rear mech buy whatever where-ever. I guess it comes down to whether you have an LBS you want to support.

bol

I buy new when the thing I want isn’t available second hand (eg Solaris frame), when it is an insurance replacement 🙁 or when it’s a not to be missed deal from my LBS or online. Otherwise I buy from friends (new road frame) or known entities in the classifieds. Most of the time I apply the “don’t spend more than 50% of RRP” rule whether buying new or used. That way I feel I’ll get most of my money back at some point and help myself justify “investing” in the Bank of Bike.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think whether buying new is a mug’s game depends on your approach to the things that you buy. For the guys on here who get through 10 bikes in a few years it doesn’t make much sense. If you buy bikes to keep them then why not?

tracknicko
    Free Member

shhhh.

if everyone realises the depreciation they are buying into we’ll lose our pool of second hand bits at realistic prices.

keep it to yaself eh?

riiich
    Free Member

RRP for my bike was 1800. Sale price was 1400. Then saved about another 400 on the bike to work scheme. Otherwise I would have bought second hand.

Cheezpleez

Works the ither way, too. I never sell bikes cos they’re worth so little s/h. It’s costing me a fortune in new sheds

hilldodger
    Free Member

For mtb I usually buy a new frame then a mixture of swap over, s/h and sale bargain bits.
    This year I wanted a road bike that was going to be a “keeper”, LBS had a TCR0 at £500 off RRP, took a lot of time setting it up for me, even did my cleat positioning.
    2 month check out service (which they let me watch for fettling tips) involved spoke retensioning, gear tweakage, and literally every bolt checked and retorqued.
    Sure, I could have done that all myself but I’m pretty naive on roadie tech and it was a pleasure to see my bike practically stripped and rebuilt by a decent mechanic.
    Last week had a “mystery creak” , dropped it into shop – mechanic took it round the block, greased and refitted the BB, job done, no charge 😀

Do I feel a mug, not particularly – glad to support a small LBS who let me borrow stuff to try out, give good advice and always knock a few quid off spares……

deviant
    Free Member

I buy second hand cars but i like new motorbikes and bicycles….they are my passion and i like to be the first owner.

As others said, there is the warranty benefit of buying new, the relationship with the LBS, the offer of monthly installments instead of one lump sum….and it creates a second hand market when people move on.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why buy new?’ is closed to new replies.