• This topic has 61 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gwurk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Why aren't DHers doping?
  • alpin
    Free Member

The roadies seem to be at it all the time. Either chemical or mechanical doing…..

From my Google-fu’ing all I can make out is that a few DHers have been caught with THC in their system, which according to the experts (or at least the German authorities*) would have a negative effect.

Does the UCI test for steroids?

Would THC be an advantage?

What could DHers take to improve their chances of a podium? Something that makes them less adverse to risk?

*Vested interests….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, they are tested and supplied with all the same regulations as other uci athletes. The only one caught with thc was missy utah that was commercial quantities…

gwurk
    Free Member

A winning DH run is more about precision than risk.
    and more about skill than strength.

Can’t say THC has ever made me take a risk I wouldn’t have straight. unless you count scoffing something out of date from the fridge.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

They are dopey enough already?

gwurk
    Free Member

Gary Houseman was stripped of his first and only WC win in 2003 at Grouse Mtn when tested positive for THC.

alpin
    Free Member

Can’t say THC has ever made me take a risk I wouldn’t have straight.

Amateur. 😉

gwurk
    Free Member

hahaha

Dude the weed didn’t make you do it.

edhornby

nobody should think ‘their’ sport can’t be improved by drugs, they all can. if you are stronger or have greater stamina than the next athlete your skills, decisionmaking are going to be superior because you have physical superiority and less fatigue makes you better at making decisions; EPO and steroids, HGH benefited football and tennis despite the pundits banging on about ‘naturally gifted players rise to the top’ blah blah

OmarLittle
    Free Member

As a non- olympic discipline is there as much (or even any) out of competition testing where the athletes need to update there wherabouts every day?

gwurk
    Free Member

Doping in sport has been done to death. Surely we’d all rather hear some of Alpin’s drug fueled risk taking stories.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ve heard that most of the clayspades lot are high as **** when they are riding.

On topic: Less downhillers have been caught because the sport attracts people that are better human beings than roadie scum. 😀

Also, I’ve always thought that roadyism attracts proper psychopaths – weirdly DH doesn’t seem to – risk takers with high levels of impulsiveness yes (so perhaps the odd sociopath) but not the cold dead eyed head cases that you get in the road disciplines.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeLwPd4uPBc[/video]

hols2
    Free Member

Compared with road racing, there isn’t much money in mountain biking, much less incentive to cheat and not attractive as a career for the very top level of athletes and coaches. Also, unless you’re doing random tests during the off-season, you don’t really know how much doping is going on.

arrpee
    Free Member

Only if your mate stood at the finish line, waving a packet of chocolate Hon-Nobs.

docgeoffyjones

A winning DH run is more about precision than risk.
    and more about skill than strength.

I thought doping was more about improving recovery time so you can train longer and more often.

jekkyl

Careful now you don’t want 3 threads deleted this week due to drug talk 😐 😡

marksnook
    Free Member

Only if your mate stood at the finish line, waving a packet of chocolate Hon-Nobs.

Well played!

ferrals
    Free Member

I would be shocked if none of them were doping. Weren’t there rumours of doping in enduro?

Re. Thc. I can definitely imagine it could improve performance for some people. Assuming that the concept of ‘flow’ is important in dh , thc can improve that allegedly. Lots of reports of other extreme sports benefitting from it.

nickc

DH is a strength/endurance sport, so any of the same drugs you find in say, track athletes would work equally well. Off season is long, they’re often in the middle of nowhere training. The pressure on the top 20 is immense. Wouldn’t be at all surprised TBH

sharkattack

Are we forgetting Miles Rockwell and his hydro setup?

LINK

From a 2009 interview-

Having retired from racing, Myles felt at a loss as to what to do next. Bike racing had been his job since he was 18. He’d made a good income from it, but his commitment to racing had been total and he had no backup plan. Unlike many of his peers, he had no interest in working in the bike industry.

But he isn’t resentful. In fact, he enjoyed spending a year lazing around. But then his wife became pregnant and he had a young son and wife to support. After a spell in motorcycle maintenance, he started working as a carpenter, which he continues to this day.

Growing up in San Francisco’s Bay Area, Myles, like many of the children of the hippie generation, liked smoking marijuana. In 2004, as a money saving exercise, he “decided to have a go at cultivating a private stash in a spare bedroom at home”. Unfortunately, the police didn’t see it as a hobby and he spent 30 nights in jail and had to attend a drug rehabilitation programme.

He describes it as his “lowest point”, and says: “I was working 60-hour weeks doing hard graft as a carpenter, struggling to raise my child, and I just wanted to save some money. But the jail time, especially being treated like a criminal, made me re-assess my life.”

I’ve heard that most of the clayspades lot are high as **** when they are riding.

Come to Wharny and see for yourself.

BigDummy
    Free Member

What could DHers take to improve their chances of a podium?

I’d guess steroids and growth hormone, possibly testosterone? Most of it won’t be race-day stuff – it’ll be about accelerating recovery, building muscle mass and getting over injury quicker.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Injury recovery will be the biggest area of doping risk for DH, getting back into top condition is hard and that’s when people take risks

gwurk
    Free Member

@docgeoffyjones – was replying to Alpin’s theory that THC lowers risk adversion. (I don’t think it does). THC does reduce cognitive functioning though.

“I just completed Gran Turismo on the hardest setting”
    We pose no threat on my settee
    Ooh, the pizza’s here, will someone let him in please?
    “We didn’t order chicken; not a problem, we’ll pick it out”

chakaping
    Free Member

What Bigdummny said.

Naive to assume it hasn’t happened but I severely doubt that it’s endemic.

oikeith

I think its no surprise that the fitter guys are now winning more races than the guys with natural talent that don’t train.

Just look at Danny Hart’s results after he said he improved his diet and started training. Not accusing him of doping.

kilo

On topic: Less downhillers have been caught because the sport attracts people that are better human beings than roadie scum.

I thought it was because downhillers aren’t mentally capable of following a doping program 😉

On a more serious point I’d be surprised it was 100% clean, it’s a sport where strength and recovery play a big part.

whitestone
    Free Member

Who’s to say they aren’t? Unless there’s a regimen in place to continually test both in and out of competition then no sport can claim that it’s drug free (or as close as).

Of course this is a double edged sword: without testing and finding the cheats a sport can’t claim to be clean but if they test and find cheats then those outside the sport use those results as a reason to bash it.

Road cycling has grasped the nettle in a way few other sports have so it follows that they’ll have a better chance of finding the cheats. I don’t know how far down the racing categories drugs testing goes but given the discovery of cheating riders at relatively minor races I suspect that the aim is to tackle the problem at all levels and before riders rise to the professional ranks. The fact that cheating at such minor races gets the amount of publicity it does suggests that it is becoming rarer. It will never be zero, there will always be someone wanting to gain an edge and willing to do anything to get it.

I think parliament missed an opportunity recently when they decided not to make doping in sport a criminal offence in the way that it is in France. I can’t see any practical reason why it shouldn’t be so, there must have been some lobbying going on by various sports associations.

steve_b77
    Free Member

“I just completed Gran Turismo on the hardest setting”
    We pose no threat on my settee
    Ooh, the pizza’s here, will someone let him in please?
    “We didn’t order chicken; not a problem, we’ll pick it out”

Ahh, The Streets

“Lets put on our classics and have a little dance shall we”

wl
    Free Member

Maybe is partly about personality type. DHers always seem a bit more laidback generally than roadies. Roadies come across as more obsessive, strung out, win at any cost. It’s why they’re typically less likeable 😉

gwurk
    Free Member

make doping in sport a criminal offence in the way that it is in France. I can’t see any practical reason why it shouldn’t be so

Other than the people in charge of chosing which “drugz” are on the banned substance list being stupid. no. no reason at all.

:/

whitestone
    Free Member

Other than the people in charge of chosing which “drugz” are on the banned substance list being stupid. no. no reason at all.

So what drugs currently on the banned list shouldn’t be there?

I’m assuming you’re brighter than those making the choice.

scruff
    Free Member

I can tell you that Tahnee is smokin’ hot.
    8)

aP
    Free Member

DH’ers taking PEDs? I’d be extraordinarily surprised if a decent percentage aren’t. It must be a bit like tennis –
    “There are no positive drugs test results in tennis”
    “That’s because no one gets tested.” (apart from Martina Hingis)

honourablegeorge

alpin – Member

It’s banned in competition by WADA – considered performance enhancing in that it can ease anxiety, plus it being mostly illegal is a factor also.

Wouldn’t be my choice for a DH run – mind would be wandering off thinking about all sorts.

chakaping
    Free Member

DH’ers taking PEDs? I’d be extraordinarily surprised if a decent percentage aren’t. It must be a bit like tennis

World Cup DHers are much lower paid than top level tennis players, got to factor that in.

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member

World Cup DHers are much lower paid than top level tennis players, got to factor that in.

All the more incentive for a struggling privateer to push himself to a point where he can earn a few quid.

whitestone
    Free Member

In any sport there’ll be participants who are prepared to cheat to be the best regardless of the amount of money involved. If there’s no organised and continuous testing, both in and out of competition, then that proportion will be larger as there’s little or no chance of being caught taking PEDs and less chance of being punished.

chakaping
    Free Member

All the more incentive for a struggling privateer to push himself to a point where he can earn a few quid.

Theoretically perhaps. And the fact that most positive tests in road cycling now seem to be on younger or older riders kind-of supports that motive.

However I would still expect a lower overall cash fund would generate less overall cheating.

And from a layman’s perspective it seems there’s less of a perception that “everyone else is probably at it anyway” in DH compared to tennis.

moonsaballoon

I remember an interview with Rachel atherton where she was making the point that you can only push so hard power wise to get to the first turn where your breaking and after that it’s about carrying speed . There was way more to it than that but the gist was that the benefits of drugs weren’t as much in downhill as other cycling disciplines.
    I would be more concerned about enduro , 8 hour days on the bike in some races with 20 min stages to race imagine it would be possible to make some proper advantages with drugs . In fact one reasonably successful French racer has already been caught a few years ago .

gwurk
    Free Member

WADA is funded by IOC

“Corruption and greed but don’t be smokin’ no weed”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't DHers doping?’ is closed to new replies.