Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Why are website geeks so bloody hard to understand?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A website is a program.

as a programmer, I would disagree. The web server is a program, but the actual content may just be plain data, though in practice most pages will contain some interactive scripting, which IS a program of a kind. HTML and CSS are content description languages, a bit like a shopping list

joemarshall
    Free Member

That isn’t professional language though. It’s computer language. Which has to be exact and precise, because computers are stupid. They will only understand it if you get it right.

The only jargon stuff that isn’t code is talking about HTML, css and classes, which are again technical terms you need to know, because they are how you communicate with the computer.

The guy was giving a surprisingly clear answer to something – but assuming at least a basic knowledge of HTML, which given it’s the language websites are written in, is not surprising.

There are a million tutorials on the web about how to do this that might help you learn this stuff, start here:
    <http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=css+rollover+buttons&meta=&btnG=Google+Search&gt;

Also, be sure to test your site on something other than safari, it’s a bit of a wacky minority browser. If you only have a mac, then firefox is worth checking, although obviously at some point you need to load up Windows versions of Internet Explorer to try it out.

Joe

enfht
    Free Member

Hope your mate doesnt read you coating his attempts to help you. Just a thought but maybe you shouldnt attempt to do it yourself if you dont like the answer he gives you FFS ! **** non-technical tw*ts !!!

enfht
    Free Member

**** geekist !!!

enfht
    Free Member

Stop using the G word its really offensive 😉

ThePerfectKiss

lol, classic designer & coder divide

imo – as a designer you should at least try and learn the underpinnings of web scripting i.e. html, css, javascript to see how they interwork etc

end of day will only make your design sense for the web canvas stronger

sparkywalts
    Free Member

They are hard to talk to because they havent been laid.

wwaswas

“your design sense for the web canvas stronger”

well, a coder wouldn’t have written that phrase 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

programmer: how it works
    designer: how it looks

aracer
    Free Member

Apparently, using Flash isn’t the way to do it.

IMHO Flash isn’t the way to do anything. Note to anybody designing a site using Flash – don’t. I can understand why a designer might like to use Flash though, as it is the ultimate in style over substance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flash is awful. Any sites that load flash get clicked out of stright away. I want clear consise information – not a 30 second animation that annoys.

wwaswas

it **** with your SEO rankings as well.

ThePerfectKiss

Back to the OP –

In the real world (web/mobile services), technology underpins the consumer experience

Once technical & design people can understand each other, then
    the end results can be stunning

well in my experience anway

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Heh!

I am not completely serious, here! He is a pain in the arse to understand, though!

He’s cool about me slagging him off! Just laughs at me.

I fully appreciate the work that ‘geeks’ have to do;I don’t want to do it. My brain cannot function along such logical lines. With images, I can tweak things here and there, to suit; with webberey, it has to be spot on.

He is shit at spalining things, though. Just too lazy, really. I spose it’s a lot easier to explain stuff with images, because you can see the results in front of you, instantly, whereas web geekery is mostly all ‘under the bonnet’.

I’ve done them as Gifs, now. Let’s see if he can get them to work. I would like to now how to slip them in meself, though, would save me time and pain having to deal with him…

Not 100% bothered if the buttons don’t work, actually. As long as the site looks pretty! The site is going to be used by people learning about visual images, so the look is more important than sophisticated functionality. We don’t need loads of fancy stuff, just pretty pics.

BTW, I mentioned before, about his screen calibration being way out. Everyone was complaning about the sludgy greenish colour, he thought it was fine. He has no sense of aesthetics…

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is, if you don’t understand the concepts it can’t be explained. It’d be like trying to explain the intricate points of Spanish grammar to someone who doesn’t speak Spanish. There are some things that you have to understand to be able to understand more.

Either have him do it for you, or learn some stuff. That’s just the way it is I’m afraid. And in any case, treat it as an opportunity. Personally I love to learn new stuff 🙂

tomdebruin
    Free Member

so the look is more important than sophisticated functionality.

having working hyperlinks is hardly sophisticated functionality. If a button is meant to be clicked on, then you should be able to click on it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The funny thing is, that if you hover over the button, the link appears in the status bar. Which would suggest that it should link, no?

It’s all quite mystifying. I asked my mate why this is so, but he hasn’t actually offered any conclusive answer. Which is bloody infuriating.

Normally, he’s really good, but he has times where he gets really bogged down in things, that appear to make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Missed a deadline last week, which cooduv been avoided, tbh.

molgrips
    Free Member

The funny thing is, that if you hover over the button, the link appears in the status bar. Which would suggest that it should link, no?

Not necessarily. You can control everything independently afaik, so you can make whatever you want appear in the status bar.

glenh
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

A website is a program.

as a programmer, I would disagree. The web server is a program, but the actual content may just be plain data, though in practice most pages will contain some interactive scripting, which IS a program of a kind. HTML and CSS are content description languages, a bit like a shopping list

You are correct of course, but when I referred to a website, I meant everything, including the webserver and any interactive code on it, not just the content delivered to the client.
    I’m used to websites with DBs or other backend systems that actually do something, rather than just offer up text/pretty pictures.

porterclough
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

A website is a program.

OK, a non-trivial website is a piece of software.

A flat site of the type last seen in 1996 isn’t, I agree. But anything with a database backend, is.

Used to struggle to get my boss to understand this, when he wanted ‘just a website’ but it had to validate users, sell them stuff and maintain licence and financial records and expected it all to be knocked up in dreamweaver in a few days. And look nice (he’d obsess for hours about the background colour and answer no questions about what data we should collect about customers).

There’s a technical term for people like that…

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Why are website geeks so bloody hard to understand?’ is closed to new replies.