Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • why are "we" better than everyone else?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Agreed, and don’t forget we brew the best beer in the world – none of that Europiss.

alpin
    Free Member

i want a pie now… instead i’m going to have to settle on a schnitzel and some Dunkles bier.

globalti
    Free Member

*ptew* spits.

CountZero

I think ‘we’, the English are probably the most hated and the most horrible country after the yanks.
    I can understand why too.

When I holidayed in Greece, it was the Germans who were disliked, because of the war, and general arrogance.
    Some of the locals weren’t too keen on the British girls taking their bikini tops off, but that was restricted to one beach anyway.
    I’m sure there are plenty of European countries not too happy about the laddish booze culture that develops in some places, but I’m sure it’s not Brits in general, just a yobbish few that’s are viewed distainfully.

irc

Why was North America and Canada not industrialised when Europeans arrived there?

Jared Diamond’s argument seems reasonable to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel#The_theory_outlined

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My experience of my travels around the world is that us Brits are very well liked and respected. We’re seen as polite, friendly, generally clever and just a jolly nice bunch. I don’t understand why some people seem to have such a low opinion of ourselves. In my professional experience they tend to prefer dealing with us than Americans or the French – we’re perceived as more trustworthy, flexible, not arrogant and basically nicer to deal with. The biggest surprise I’ve found is that even in the ex-colonial countries we’re very well liked too.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I think we are much loved, which is why people from so many countries are so enthusiastic about coming to live here!

piemonster

Though mostly poor now China was once pretty advanced

I’m curious as to what China’s future will bring. The demographic consequences of the one child policy do raise some questions. Will they do completely away with the policy?

I suspect eventually they’ll be economically forced to!?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My experience of my travels around the world is that us Brits are very well liked and respected

This is my experience too. Take hair shirt off.

On the subject of barbarism though: let’s not forget that the European wars of the 20th Century were the most barbaric and deadly imaginable short of a nuclear conflict. But it has lead to the EU, the most successful political peacekeeping organisation in our regions history.

BTW. we’re not better people, we’re just better organised

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ton, what nonsense you utter, honestly! I’ve been lucky enough to travel all over the world and have always been welcomed as an Englishman fortunately haven’t been to Iraq or Iran if they are the countries you are alluding to!

Rockape63
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

But it has lead to the EU NATO, the most successful political peacekeeping organisation in our regions history.

I think that is a more accurate reflection of last 20th century politics.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘why are "we" better than everyone else?’ is closed to new replies.