Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why are train tickets to Winchester so expensive??
  • psychle
    Free Member

£29.30 for a single journey from London Waterloo?? And it’s £5 for a single from Eastbourne back to London Victoria?? Why’s Winchester soooo much more expensive? 😡

thepurist

That’s odd – I’ve been doing Farnborough – Winchester a bit lately and that#s 12.60 return. Just checked on-line it’s 13.70 from Waterloo to Farnboro, so that’s 3 quid off for buying two tickets instead of 1. Just need to make sure your train stops at Farnborough.

thomthumb
    Free Member

must be to do with the quality of the winchester kebab house under the station.

jon1973
    Free Member

what time where you / do you intend to travel? that sounds like a commuter fare to me.

psychle
    Free Member

heading off at around 6am from Waterloo? Doesn’t seem to matter what time I look at, the cheapest ‘single’ ticket is an ‘anytime day single’, seems weird it’s not giving me the option to book a specific time/train at a discounted rate (you normally can can’t you?)

bigrich

To keep the riff-raff out?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They’re obviously trying to stop you from hurting yourself on that ridiculous plan of yours… 🙄

rootes1

heading off at around 6am from Waterloo? Doesn’t seem to matter what time I look at, the cheapest ‘single’ ticket is an ‘anytime day single’, seems weird it’s not giving me the option to book a specific time/train at a discounted rate (you normally can can’t you?

welcome to the world of South West Trains…

psychle
    Free Member

can I get to Winchester from another London station?

brassneck

welcome to the world of South West Trains…

+1 – It’s around £27 from Andover at commuter time, so 29 sounds about right to me.

EDIT: Well, it’s clearly not right, but you know what I mean..

rootes1

can I get to Winchester from another London station?

not in any sensible manner..

Paddington > Reading > Winchester (Reading to Winchester bit via Cross County Trains)

not sensible though

alfabus
    Free Member

when I did the SDW, the winchester direct line was shut, so I had to go via portsmouth… real ball ache, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

Dave

superfli
    Free Member

must be to do with the quality of the winchester kebab house under the station.

Thats where I took my missus for our first date. Went all upper class on her and bought Chicken kebabs – score 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

so… £29.30 is as cheap as I’ll get then? I’m not missing some way of getting a cheaper deal perchance?

thomthumb
    Free Member

16-24 railcard?

Danny79
    Free Member

Maybe try megabus site train to southampton then buy a southampton to winchester ticket.

thepurist

so… £29.30 is as cheap as I’ll get then

No, as in the 2nd post if you split the ticket so get Waterloo-Farnborough/Basingstoke then Farnborough/Basingstoke-Winchester you’ll save yourself the cost of a post-ride pint. The only rule with split ticketing is that the train your on has to stop at the split station but I think everything will stop at either Farnborough or Amazingstoke so just pick the right one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why are train tickets to Winchester so expensive??’ is closed to new replies.