Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why are these cranks so cheap? Seems a bit iffy…
  • Jamz
    Free Member

So can anyone tell me why these cranks are so cheap? They’re new and they retail at over 3 times the asking price? What’s going on?

FSA K-Force Light – eBay

monkeyboyjc

The retail price on the high end FSA chainsets are generally massively overpriced in my opinion and shouldn’t be used to gauge how good they are.
    Seems like a good deal – go for it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’re £230ish on CRC unless the ones I’m looking at are different.

They could be dodgy copies, or someone drop shipped a pile of them for whatever reason – but if it was me I’d pay the extra and get them from Chain Reaction.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

On a recent bbc programme (Fake Britain) I think, FSA were involved in some dodgy copies. An mtb’er had some handlebars fail. Cheapo copies from China.
    If it was my cash, I would buy from a reputable shop.

monkeyboyjc

Haven’t seen any copies of cranks – bars yes, you can easily pick up fake FSA, ENVE etc for £20, but cranks no. Looking at the seller’s other items and the fact that they are UK (not china) shipped it’s very unlikely that it’s fake goods.
    The seller probably just knows what you can get them for from the online shops and has under cut.

shermer75
    Free Member

As above- similar deal on CRC

£239.00, 60% off, down from £600.00

gee
    Free Member

The MTB versions of those suffered with the pedal insert failing.

Hence not popular, hence cheap.

taxi25
    Free Member

39/53 is a a bit like 26″ mtb wheels.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Seller is the clearance branch of ATB Sales so definitely legit. Lots of other bargains in their ebay shop too.

Jamz
    Free Member

Hmmm may well go for them in that case.

I was actually looking at this compact version in particular (just posted the wrong link):

50/34 FSA K-Force Light

Seems to be quite hard to find a suitable compact chainset, I suppose everyone wants one these days.

Thanks all for your help!

cliffyc
    Free Member

I have FSA K-Force Light crankset on one of my bikes never had any issues with them. CRC supplied would come with a guarantee so safer choice IMO. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

£210 is not cheap, get a grip man.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I paid £160 last year from crc for some of those fsa road cranks inc the ceramic bb
    Have a hunt there may a better deal

bob_summers

I’ve got some, good cranks but you’d be mad to pay full price for them. Rings are heavy.

On mine (2013 model) you can’t see the weave, unlike the ebay ones, but whether that’s indicative of them being hooky I wouldn’t know. Maybe mine are 😳

singlesteed
    Free Member

Have had 2 sets of mtb versions and not once did the pedal insert come loose.

The ceramic bbs that come with them are superbly smooth.

Jamz
    Free Member

Hmmm may well bide my time then and see what else is out there.

I’d really like some Dura Ace 7950s but I’m a wee bit perturbed by the cost of new chainrings if I buy a second hand crankset thats been well loved.

£210 is not cheap, get a grip man.

In what way are they not cheap man? And I’ve already got a grip thanks, well 2 of them actually, multi coloured aswell! They weren’t bloody cheap I can tell ya that much.

singlesteed
    Free Member

I found that the fsa chain rings shift better than Shimano tooif that helps your decision.

ds3000
    Free Member

210 quid still seems like a lot of cash to spend on cranks. I’d go second hand or Shimano.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why are these cranks so cheap? Seems a bit iffy…’ is closed to new replies.