Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 179 total)
  • Why are there so many Santa Cruz bikes about at the moment?
  • peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

my single pivot SC was cheaper than the equivalent Orange single pivot frame

The money you paid for your single pivot SC frame went to pay very cheap wages in eastern Asia, not very expensive labour in Halifax.
    …… Orange may be expensive, but you can at least see where the money goes.
    SC seem like good bikes, and the ones I’ve ridden are very nice, but they do seem to be very highly priced for a (increasingly) large company… Mind you spesh should be cheap by that logic.

Seems to me that German brands on the whole are the only ones pricing reasonably…

RickDraper
    Free Member

Because not many people know about the best bike company from Santa Cruz…

Which is? Not the one that sells a 140mm travel bike thats actually 130mm??

jameso

they grew with the Mtb scene, with minimal reliance on road for their success, unlike Specialized.

Are skateboards more relevant than road bikes? : ) Specialized started out in MTB way back, aside from road P+A in the very early days.

The money you paid for your single pivot SC frame went to pay very cheap wages in eastern Asia

They aren’t made in a cheap factory though.

I always liked Santa Cruz for making the Chameleon, that bike and the Z1 did change my riding in the late 90s. No rational reason for it now but I’d feel good about owning another SC if I was in the market for a susser.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The money you paid for your single pivot SC frame went to pay very cheap wages in eastern Asia, not very expensive labour in Halifax.
    …… Orange may be expensive, but you can at least see where the money goes.

Bigger fool orange IMHO.

rickon
    Free Member

By that logic Hope should make all their kit in the Far East and sell it loads cheaper.

Id prefer my money goes into the UK market as muh as possible. Its increasingly difficult to do so though.

peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

Bigger fool orange IMHO.

I get the feeling that Orange don’t make their bikes in the UK to keep the costs down……
    It’s always a good thing when a firm decides to produce their wares in the UK rather than abroad. Look at Cotic switching production of the Rocket from Asia to the UK in spite of higher costs….. people must be willing to pay the extra. I know I would.

RickDraper
    Free Member

In actual fact I’m not sure why I even quoted about Orange, you cannot compare a Orange with anything made by SC. Its like comparing a DT240s or a Chris King hub to a hope one.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I get the feeling that Orange don’t make their bikes in the UK to keep the costs down……

They produce half of the bikes outside of the UK anyway……

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Where are the “Far Eastern” Santa Cruzes made?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Slag off Orange all you like but compare the angles on the 5-29er with the Tallboy LT. I will never go near a short and steep bike again; I need all the skill compensation I can get!

Honestly quoting static angles on a full sus is a waste of time, they all sit and ride differently, a mate (serial bike swapper) took a solo out and was worried about the head angle until he rode it then realised it just worked.

Anyway if you think they are popular in the UK head to NZ, was over in Rotorua where Blur LT’s and Nomad Mk2’s ruled the trails (all carbon) this year it’s the Bronson and Solo round every bend and the local shop had 3 staff 650 Nomads, 7 being built and a 10 bike waiting list. I reckon at least 80% of those out on them were very serious riders and seriously quick. So they seem to be a default choice for those who can ride 😉

Loving the VPP setup, the common sense of retaining the threaded BB at least until PF works properly, grease ports on the bearings, lifetime bearing warranty, 5 year frame warranty, good customer service and a really nice looking bike.

As nice as the guys are at orange their a 1 trick pony in the FS department, not keen on single pivot (and paying a lot for it) then it’s not for you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

suburbanreuben – Member
    Where are the “Far Eastern” Santa Cruzes made?

My LTc proudly states Made in China

tomhoward

Why are there so many Santa Cruz bikes about at the moment?

I know, right? Can’t bloody move for them in my house!*

I reckon it’s a combo of marketing (thru the sc syndicate, peaty doing that Scottish vid for the Solo etc), that those of us who have played on muddy bikes for the last 15+ years still see them as boutique exotica when in fact now they are probably as big and far reaching as traditionally more mass market brand. The price helps I think, folk thinking that you get what you pay for, so a £4k+ base model or £3k frame on some model must be special… It could also be that they are really bloody good bikes that, while expensive, will last or are backed up by a bullet proof warranty.

*you didn’t think I was joking, did you? 😉

image by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Me too tom
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/jBs2qq]2014-01-29 15.12.10[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

_tom_
    Free Member

I really really regret selling my old Bullit. Shouldve kept it. The geometry etc was outdated etc but it was such a fun bike to ride. Might buy another one when I can afford a full sus again. I like Santa Cruz bikes.

gaz552
    Free Member

Obviously their bikes need to be decent, but a lot of people will be willing to pay extra for a bike/frame if they know the support/warranty is really good should they be unfortunate to need it. Now that they’ve updated their geometry more people are interested in their bikes.

The new nomad looks like a lot of fun.

binners

If you ask people what’s the best bike they’ve ever owned, I reckon Santa Cruz will be mentioned a lot. For every blinged out carbon nomad getting ridden round Llandegla car park by some Audi driving stroker, there’s a battered Chameleon or 8 year old heckler still going strong.

Santa Cruz build brilliant bikes! That’s why people buy’em

hora
    Free Member

Expensive UK labour? How much do Fabricators earn?

SC etc- How much is import duties/tax, freight AND Distributor margin like Jungles? Kinda offsets Orange..

Made in China carbon. Nice frames and tight qc control but why the price..

Read in a bike mag-posh German carbon wheel company built a carbon road bike. Frame retails at 4k….designed an engineered in German..made in China. Made me laugh. It may be ‘better’ than some ali express £300 frames but how much so?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.dutycalculator.com/
    Easy to work out on retail comparison for example Bronson
    $2900 USD (No sales tax etc.)
    UK Price 1703 GBP (converted)
    Duty 80.24
    VAT 357.51
    Landed Cost 2145.07 without shipping, packaging etc. Sana Cruz direct deal in the US so no need for a distributor margin (same as Orange & Hope in the UK) Equivalent Frame in the UK selling for 2600.
    So the difference is 455 leaving shipping, demo fleet, advertising, support and profit.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

buying decisions are always about more than just price. It’s about value, especially with items that you keep for years. People obviously think the product is a good one.

There may be a percentage of buyers/golfers who are just taken in by the marketing aspect but the market is pretty robust I suspect, so if the product isn’t good then it will be found out eventually.

I considered a Nomad but didn’t like the curvy top tube… the latest versions are much better in this respect though compared to the early ones.

tmb467
    Free Member

Not sure on that simple ‘retail duty’ bit

Import duty is 15% and there are additional anti-dumping duties on carbon bike frames manufactured in china

bigrich

i was riding in Santa Cruz the other day, and everyone was on a santa cruz.

the riding out there is fully sick, by the way.

hora
    Free Member

http://www.dutycalculator.com/
    Easy to work out on retail comparison for example Bronson
    $2900 USD (No sales tax etc.)
    UK Price 1703 GBP (converted)
    Duty 80.24
    VAT 357.51
    Landed Cost 2145.07 without shipping, packaging etc. Sana Cruz direct deal in the US so no need for a distributor margin (same as Orange & Hope in the UK) Equivalent Frame in the UK selling for 2600.
    So the difference is 455 leaving shipping, demo fleet, advertising, support and profit.

Don’t forget Jungle don’t buy at retail. As a distributor they’ll probably get it for 60% of retail, sell onto the shops who’ll then add on their 15%. Distributor (volume) gets big slice. Shop = small slice.

Small import/distributor like Chumba wouldn’t be able to negotiate much due to low volume sales at this end?

hora
    Free Member

the riding out there is fully sick, by the way

This deserves a whole new post.

I both hate and love you. Man I’m jealous 🙂

fathomer

bigrich – Member
    the riding out there is fully sick, by the way.

Awesome isn’t it! Also spotted loads of Specialized on the trails as well.

warpcow
    Free Member

I miss my old Heckler and would have a new one in a heartbeat. I just think that they have positioned their company really well the last couple of years. As MTB has become a golf-like sport for middle-aged men, Santa Cruz is a company that isn’t one of the big brands, but also doesn’t take much effort to find if you’re not inclined to spend hours parsing the internet-ramblings of other MTBers. They’ve done a good job of subtly marketing their bikes to the point that everyone was talking about the Bronson like it was the enduro weapon, when enduro really blew up, despite there being hundreds of similar bikes (one of which is actually called Enduro). They’re the BMWs of the bike world, which doesn’t mean they’re bad at all, just priced for a certain kind of buyer.

scotroutes

But surely any buyer in the US would pay some sort of sales tax?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is hora but as we don’t know and wouldn’t really shout about trade prices in a public forum assume your right but I still consider it a good price. I know what the Oz price list looks like and nothing looks like a complete rip off. If they had the scale or spec or giant then the margins would be tighter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sales tax in all states is different and paid at the end so never quoted in the US. Some states have none.

iainc

I used to have a 5

Now my only MTB is a Soul

If I came intro some cash I’d be buying a 5010, no doubt 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Don’t forget Jungle don’t buy at retail. As a distributor they’ll probably get it for 60% of retail, sell onto the shops who’ll then add on their 15%. Distributor (volume) gets big slice. Shop = small slice.

I can assure you, using your example the retailer margin it’s much higher than 15% and Jungle’s is significantly lower than you suggest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also not sure how it works in the UK but here in Oz most “Off the Peg” builds come with not much left to do apart from attach bars and wheels, tighten and set-up. With the variety of build kits and the options (we can swap out anything and everything that is on a build list over here) it comes as a frame and a box is bits that you actually have to build from scratch.

hora
    Free Member

I can assure you, using your example the retailer margin it’s much higher than 15% and Jungle’s is significantly lower than you suggest.

Unless you are both like Jungle/stiff then you are quids in!

vinnyeh

Mikewsmith, a quick fag packet calc shows that, excluding sales taxes, and converted to uk pounds the bronson c Kashima costs, at retail, 1825 in oz, 1700 in the US and tahdaah, 2340 in the Uk.
    The frame is also from a quick look, available discounted in both the US and Australia.

Wozza
    Free Member

I don’t really use trail centres too much, but I remember when you couldn’t move in the lakes for Marin full sussers, and then again a few years later for Specialized. My guess is that SC are the brand at the mo.

Tbh i’m glad of it, i’ll be happy to hoover up the £600 second hand frames in a few years time. I can snap them 3 times over and still be better off.

£2000+ for a new frame? They must be mad.

prahran
    Free Member

They’re ridiculously expensive, therefore they must be the best and you’ll look so cool with your carbon bike on top of your carbon enve wheels. £8000? Yes, but it’s the best. Now look at me. I’m the best (well I think I am)…

hora
    Free Member

Tbh i’m glad of it, i’ll be happy to hoover up the £600 second hand frames in a few years time. I can snap them 3 times over and still be better off.

Me too. I always buy slightly older Santa Cruz’s (currently on a 2011 Butcher).

Wozza
    Free Member

Hora

Me too. I always buy slightly older Santa Cruz’s (currently on a 2011 Butcher).

I’m on a £500 intense tracer… it snapped, £20 at the alloy fabs and it’s back on the trails 😀

Watch it fold in half round hebden tomorrow 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Watch it fold in half round hebden tomorrow

Then you can buy a 29’er and see the trails come alive. Win win! 😀

Houns

My almost 10 year old Blur LT is still going strong. The only bike out there I’d want to replace it with is a carbon Bronson

tonyg2003

Amongst the guys that I ride with they are called “Mondeos” since they are so common.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Why are there so many Santa Cruz bikes about at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.