Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Why are there so many different types of USB connection?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Is there a scientific need for this or is it just to make people have a drawer full of leads and get pissed off when they can’t find one that fits?

Stoner
    Free Member

Who’s going to post xkcd first? 😉

jimdubleyou

Progress, innit.

sweepy
    Free Member

And what does the U stand for?

cranberry
    Free Member

And what does the U stand for?

Universal, which makes sense if you had to play around with the interfaces that were popular before USB came along.

sweepy
    Free Member

Yet it doesn’t seem very universal

CountZero

Bugs the bejeezus out of me that there are so many different variations of micro-USB used just for charging everyday electronic devices! There’s no bloody data being carried, it only needs one standard variety, but no, the muppet manufacturers have to use half a dozen different varieties. 🙄
    And before anyone mentions Apple, they’ve always used one standard USB plug/socket for charging and data, and two proprietary plug/sockets on the iOS range in ten years, unlike pretty much every other manufacturer, and Sony have been one of the very worst culprits.
    Eejits. 😡

cranberry
    Free Member

Yet it doesn’t seem very universal

It is a lot more universal than serial and parallel connections.

cheers_drive

Doesn’t the universal bit stand for the communication protocol not in the connectors.
    And yes it is frustrating, especially unnecessary proprietary connectors. At least USB C can be used either way round which is progress.

scuzz
    Free Member

There’s only 8!

nickc

Joke:

today they buried the man who invented the USB. There was a small delay as they put the coffin in ground, then took it out, turned it over and put it in again.

DezB
    Free Member

8? Rubbish! Where the iphone/pad/pod ones? where this one?

poly
    Free Member

Half a dozen varieties? Not in regular use today surely. There is pretty much one standard for mobiles. One for other portable electronics and one for big stuff like printers.

sweepy
    Free Member

I don’t think things can be a bit universal, they either are or they aren’t. And if they put it right there in the name then that’s what I expect.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

the bit that is universal is the protocol, not the connectors. Apple stuff isn’t USB. There are many connectors to give manufacturers options as devices come in many different shapes and sizes.

scuzz
    Free Member

DezB – thats an 8 pin UC-E6 like-mini-usb proprietary connector!

Cougar

Bugs the bejeezus out of me that there are so many different variations of micro-USB

There’s one* variation of micro USB, which is micro USB. Anything else is something proprietary which happens to look similar.

(* – ok, two, but I’ve never seen micro-A in the wild)

tenfoot

and Sony have been one of the very worst culprits.
    Eejits.

But, but, but, I’m currently charging my Sony phone with a Samsung charger.

mechanicaldope

The evolution of them is pretty much due to the amount of data that can be transferred down the cable. Type C is much faster than the original format. You have different cables for iPhone etc essentially because apple want you to use their proprietary connectors. Although historically every manufacturer seemed to have their own format cable it seems to me that (apple aside) this has pretty much been stopped in favour of the USB standard.

slowoldman

It’s not the connector that’s universal, it’s the protocol.

sweepy
    Free Member

Then they should have called it a UPSB connection

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And IIRC aren’t Samsung USB cables slightly different again, they look the same but they just won’t fit.

Then there’s micro HDMI. Why did we need another connector that looks almost the same?

deadkenny
    Free Member

CountZero – Member 
    Bugs the bejeezus out of me that there are so many different variations of micro-USB used just for charging everyday electronic devices! There’s no bloody data being carried, it only needs one standard variety, but no, the muppet manufacturers have to use half a dozen different varieties.
    And before anyone mentions Apple, they’ve always used one standard USB plug/socket for charging and data, and two proprietary plug/sockets on the iOS range in ten years, unlike pretty much every other manufacturer, and Sony have been one of the very worst culprits.
    Eejits.

Most the mobile industry standardised on micro USB for charging years ago. Apple didn’t and invented a proprietary connector.

Various other gadgets use a mix with some using mini USB.

The differences in USB were historically mainly for size reasons and then more recently to increase capacity and then to introduce a bi-directional cable.

el_boufador

Progress, innit.

Pretty much. Everything evolves. Including USB and wheel sizes.

Diminishing returns though (USB B to mini-A massive. To MicroUSB…. not so much)

twisty

USB is a decent albeit argueably not perfect standard, both the protocol and the connectors. Miles ahead of the current MTB industry where IMHO the standards of standards are slipping.

What do people think is not Universal about USB then?

I think it does deserves the univeral name as it was a collabrative effort which was well thought out enough to prove successful for a massive range of connections from mice to memory sticks, wireless adapters, scanners, digital audio, etc and on a wide range of hosts from PCs to phones, routers, set top boxes, etc.

It is not the standards fault that some manufactures dont play ball and use their own proprietry connectors. The worst offenders are the point&shoot cameras which use usb protocol with a proprietry connector for no reason whatsoever.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s the protocol that’s universal, not the connector.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s the protocol that’s universal, not the connector.

half way up the page 😉

wobbliscott – Member
    the bit that is universal is the protocol, not the connectors. Apple stuff isn’t USB. There are many connectors to give manufacturers options as devices come in many different shapes and sizes.

Personally I’m quite glad I don’t need to have a phone thick enough to plug this into
    , mini is still bigger than my phone wants to be. C seems more robust than micro and the double sided bit makes a lot of sense

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s pretty phenomenal how far USB data transfer speeds have come over the ~20 years the connection has been around…
    1.0: ~1.5Mbps
    1.1: ~12.5 Mbps
    2.0: ~480 Mbps
    3.0: ~5120 Mbps
    3.1: ~10240 Mbps

(Above is Mega bits per second, divide by 8 for Mega Bytes per second)

The relatively new 3.1 generation 2 in theory runs at twice the speed of my 512GB Crutial MX100 Solid State Drive and just over half the theoretical speed of my 512GB Samsung 951 NVME SSD! 😯

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

half way up the page

😆

joat

The only thing nowadays to slow transfer speeds down is to film it in an action thriller, you can almost hear the screaches and whirrs of a zx spectrum.

theauthorities
    Free Member

why do some usb cables
    refuse
    to charge some devices?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Because they want to get to the other side?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because some devices measure the resistance of the cable and determine a safe charging rate, so a cheap cable won’t work with a 2A charger and smartphone.

Similarly my phone charges at 9V rather than 5V with the right charger.

Sometimes they still work with the wrong cable or charger, but usualy at 500mA or less, and on a tablet or bigger phone that can be slow enough that you’d never notice it charging.

stumpy01

thisisnotaspoon – Member

And IIRC aren’t Samsung USB cables slightly different again, they look the same but they just won’t fit.

I’ve not had this issue. I’ve got a Sony charger & original cable that will charge my Sony phone, my Wife’s Samsung phone, our LG tablets, our Kindles and my Bluetooth speaker.
    We’ve got LG chargers & original cables that will charge all of the above.
    We’ve got Samsung chargers that will charge….have a guess….all of the above….
    We’ve got an Amazon Kindle charger that will charge all of the above, admittedly at quite a slow rate because the cable is fiddly.

The only things I can think of that we need a different cable for are my Nikon cameras, my knock-off Aldi special Moon Comet rear light & my Garmin; for those I need the mini-USB cable.
    Dunno why they all use a larger connector, when they are intrinsically ‘compact’ devices.

The printer cable is a complete non-issue because you plug it in once & it’s done. That cable has been around for god knows how long, so it’s probably a question of things moved on but that design had established itself for printer applications.

Regarding the cables that refuse to charge comment; it’s as TINAS says – they can’t handle the higher current requirements of that device. Often the device will tell you it’s not charging or not register as charging, but if you leave it overnight it will charge up – just very slowly.

theauthorities
    Free Member

thanks for the info
    but
    compatibility of plug shape not much use
    if
    cables themselves invisibly incompatible
    all
    my apple cables
    charge
    all
    my apple devices

stumpy01

theauthorities – Member
    all
    my apple cables
    charge
    all
    my apple devices

all my
    Sony/Samsung/LG/Anker/Amazon
    cables
    charge all
    my
    Sony/Samsung/LG/Anker/Amazon devices.

Do I win a prize?

Does your Apple cable charge your Bluetooth speaker? Your Garmin? Your e-reader? Your portable battery pack?

It’s hardly surprising that a proprietary cable from a single manufacturer works across all devices, is it? 🙄

andytherocketeer

and also all my
    LG/Nexus/Polar
    cables
    charge or power or connect to all
    my
    Arduinos/Raspberry Pi/Mbed/Polar watch/Nexus/HTC/I’m sure I forgot something (camera probably)

Handy when every charger is mains to USB plus a USB to micro-USB cable. So not only is everything a standard setup for charging, it’s also a standard setup for connecting to the PC too 🙂 without a 2nd cable.

Just the next phone that might differ if it’s the flippy floppy no need to plug in 3 times to get it the right way around USB-C type.

twisty

thanks for the info
    but
    compatibility of plug shape not much use
    if
    cables themselves invisibly incompatible
    all
    my apple cables
    charge
    all
    my apple devices

Try
    spending
    half
    of
    what
    your
    apple
    cables
    cost
    on
    quality
    usb
    cables
    then
    they
    will
    work
    with
    all
    devices
    and
    will
    be
    much
    more
    durable
    than
    the
    apple
    cables
    too.

Del

another advantage of ‘c’ is that charging can happen from the device on either end of the cable. the older standards will only charge one way – one is master and the other slave ( unless you use a work-around ). useful for us at work ( if our ‘electronics guy’ would get with the ffing program, or at least this century 🙄 ) for reasons i won’t bore you with, but for instance you may wish to top up a laptop battery from a tablet, if you wanted to get something off it but didn’t have the charger and it was flat.

theauthorities
    Free Member

how can i tell what are “quality” cables?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Why are there so many different types of USB connection?’ is closed to new replies.