• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • why are there so many Brits riding at top level DH?
  • alpin
    Free Member

or rather why are there so few, with exception of the French, Europeans in top flight DH? this question has been niggling me for a while.

just visited the iXS DH site as i’m thinking of going to the Euro Cup in Spicak next week (to watch).

looking at the attendees, there are very few brits in the line up, but plenty of Germans, Austrians, Greeks, Czechs… even Belgiums. Why are these guys not riding at the top level?

why do the Brits, French, Aussies and Kiwis (with the exception of a random Septic or Saffer thrown in) seem to dominate the field at top level DH?

what do these nations do so well, or what don’t the other nations do?

looking at either Germany, Austria or Italy, they are all quite hilly lands with a strong riding scene, plenty of lifts (certainly the case for Austria, population similar to NZ). why don’t the riders from these countries excel at going fast?

all show and no go?

coconut
    Free Member

He said the E*rope word… get him..

MSP

I did hear a theory that in most mountain regions other mountain sports are bigger, so the people with the athleticism and skills go into them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I think a few years ago, a bunch of riders inspired many. This chap among them, but so many more…ergo a group grow up wanting to emulate..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HGUTzd]Fort Willam World Cup[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

The Brits at that level are racing in the BDS instead of IXS champs, probably.

Why we have so many good DHers is a different question – probably due to a good race scene and lots of participation leading to a bigger pool of potential talent than most countries. And St Peaty of course.

alpin
    Free Member

ok, the BDS is the equivalent of the iXS, but then why do fewer riders from the iXS make it to the top league?

interestingly very few French participants in the iXS when race is outside of France. do they have their own series?

hammerite
    Free Member

We watched a Euro cup downhill event in Oz-en-Oisans a few years ago. There were plenty of Brits and Irish there. Most had some fairly beaten up cars with tents pitched next to them, only a few had more elaborate set ups. I’m guessing that it just costs a lot if you race regularly and so many will race events when they’re closer to home, cost less to travel to and dodge others.

chiefgrooveguru

Little of the UK population has local skiing/boarding in the winter so most ride DH all year round. And it takes more skill to ride well in the rain and we have lots of that.

cookeaa

The answer is mainly having had a healthy domestic race scene, from ‘grass roots’ local club organised level up to the BDS for the best part of two decades.

Plus there’s the geography, the UK is a small island, relatively easy to travel around, pick up points and gain experience racing on different terrain/courses/conditions every weekend…

Also we don’t really have a brutal winter, so people can keep their hand in with year round riding, and the odd winter series race…

I think we’ll probably start seeing Enduro feature more in the UK riding/racing “diet” with the trade off being improved British showing in European and international enduro series’ possibly at the expense of our national DH presence? Or not, discuss…

chakaping
    Free Member

As an occasional enduro-er over the last few years, me and my pals have noticed a big rise in the average standard recently.

There are now loads of really fit, well trained riders making it just as hard as ever for me to nudge into the top half of the results.

I think you are bang on with that prediction.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered if it’s because we have a lot of riders who start off doing motorcross, BMX or speedway, and progress well with DH. But then I’ve got no proof that we do more of those activities than other countries such as Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands etc…so I’m not entirely sure. Maybe we’re just good at producing completely bonkers riders 😉

andytherocketeer

All the Germans and Swiss will be riding XC, Marathon, etc. wearing lycra rather than pyjamas.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d say its because we ride all year round and in all weathers. Other countries seem to have time off during the winter (snow etc).

Marin
    Free Member

I reckon it’s the weather. It’s winter lets go skiing. Oh no its grey and damp lets ride all year instead

darrenspink
    Free Member

All to do with the terrain IMO. The French have lovely long mountain trails and therefore rule at World Enduro races. We have short technical steep muddy rooty rocky ‘make the most of’ trails.

parkesie
    Free Member

Because the whole country is going downhill fast?

andytherocketeer

roffle

also things like XC skiing popular here (Germany) but not there. often see guys out in summer on those roller skis, one towing a bike trailer!
    used to see stormtroopers in pyjamas when I first arrived here, then they stopped the DH activity cos it was incredibly destructive (300m descent on sand), now I just get passed by XC MAMILs.

alpin
    Free Member

@ andy…. you live in the wrong area… 2m rule? 300m? komm nach Bayern….. (fast) jeder ist willkommen. und hier gibt’s gscheide Berge.

have also seen a few of the summer skiers. i like the fact there isn’t a hint of irony on thier part or that no one gives them a second look.. as if it were a perfectly acceptable way to get to the shops….

andytherocketeer

no 2m rule here afaik. at least that was my understanding of the Hessen implementation. But then you can ride a legal path in the Odenwald, cross into BaWu and you’re illegal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    The answer is mainly having had a healthy domestic race scene, from ‘grass roots’ local club organised level up to the BDS for the best part of two decades.

Plus there’s the geography, the UK is a small island, relatively easy to travel around, pick up points and gain experience racing on different terrain/courses/conditions every weekend…

This +1000

When I used to play about at racing things like Pearce the likes of Matt Simmonds etc were there, it was a great feeder race that was always competitive, these feed into the National series and beyond. As much as people whinge you can be at a top quality face within a few hours relativley cheaply in the UK. The scale on the continent plays against you.
    Add in some very liberal access laws (despite how you lot whinge) and you have a lot of riding to be had.
    The continent is bigger which means you wither need a bit more cash or motivation to drive further for an event.

Australia is doing well despite it’s geography, outside of my state rounds for DH (about 50-60 enterants) it’s at least 1 or maybe 2 flights for me.

I tried to do the Enduro Series this year, managed round 1 as I was over that way with work. The other rounds are the equivilent of travelling to spain and the alps in reality. It lifts the bar on entry which doesn’t help competition in many ways. Being able to ride the same course as 300 people means no matter where you are you have a battle with someone for placings. That kicks you on and spending time with better riders helps you improve.

But also lets not forget what these 2 did to inspire

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In most sports it’s just down to the structure available lower down.

I remember being in Wharncliffe Woods about 10 years ago and seeing Steve Peat coaching a load of young riders.

alpin
    Free Member

A kiwi has just won the last round of the iXS European DH… In Austria on a new track that a friend helped build and helps run.

Surely there should be enough locals there to give someone from the southern hemisphere a run for their money…

At Fort Bill there were a few locals who done well in qualifying. Don’t remember there being any locals qualifying highly up in Leogang…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘why are there so many Brits riding at top level DH?’ is closed to new replies.