Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Why are there no toys in breakfast cereal anymore?
  • tenfoot

There are no toys in cereal anymore, but there is the joy of haribo in Wiggle deliveries.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Probably in a minority here, but Haribo sweets are awful. And their adverts suck. Or is that the other way round…

Think that is what started me getting out my bed early in the morning, to beat my sister to opening the new box of Rice Crispies for the toy.

porlus
    Free Member

Those plastic square clips you used to get with loaves of bread. Used to be in awe of mates who had both brake cables totally covered by them.

nuke

On the subject of Shreddies, disappointingly their quality control process has improved so nowadays you rarely, if ever, get double/treble Shreddies…once got 8 Shreddies together 8)

butcher

On the subject of Shreddies, disappointingly their quality control process has improved so nowadays you rarely, if ever, get double/treble Shreddies…

Say whut? That’s almost as bad as taking the toys out. Finding a quadrupler in your bowl made your week, and king of the house for a day.

And those reflectors….my bike was covered in them. Two on each wheel. Frosties were the shit back then.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ghostbusters sticker things in Shreddies

I got one of those when I was staying at my grandads, I thought it was amazing as it glowed in the dark. I gave it to the most amazing person I knew, my grandad.

Fast forward 25 years and I got his toolboxes when he sadly died, it’s still stuck in the lid 🙂

ChrisL

I got a Shrek movie tie-in plastic thing in a box of cereal while camping 11 years ago. That may be the last time I bought any cereal other than Weetabix or Porridge though.

My fondest cereal packet novelty from my childhood were the cut out and assemble Star Trek space ships that appeared on some packets of Weetabix. I was little at the time so my dad made them and they were amazing.

grahamh
    Free Member

probably for the same reason as
    this

jamj1974

dknwhy – Member
    I loved the little boats and submarines that you filled with baking powder (I think) to make them go.

Yep!

I got one of those when I was staying at my grandads, I thought it was amazing as it glowed in the dark. I gave it to the most amazing person I knew, my grandad.

Fast forward 25 years and I got his toolboxes when he sadly died, it’s still stuck in the lid

I inherited my grandfathers toolboxes too. Used the last but one of his Stanley knife blades (wrapped in oiled paper) only a few months ago and threw away the remnants of the electrical tape yesterday. Grandads and toolboxes are great and time is now ripe (I’m 40 and children still in primary school!) to be laying up stores now for my future grandchildren!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Anyone got a citation for the H&S reason?

I thought it was because of advertising rules about targeting children with toys, particularly for sugary foods.

dudeofdoom

Hmmm the cardboard startrek bridge cut out thing was cool 🙂

I always keep the wiggle haribos about for emergency anti bonk measures..

nealglover
    Free Member

probably for the same reason as
    this

That would mean we couldn’t buy kinder eggs either.

Which we can obviously.

So probably nothing to do with that at all.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Reckon targeted advertising plays a big part – offer on a pack requires a likely online sign-up with a parents email address and then they can send ‘further exciting offers’, etc. Wouldn’t be possible by giving a toy in the pack

Cougar

If small toys in food were banned by H&S then Kinder Eggs would have disappeared long ago!

That would mean we couldn’t buy kinder eggs either.

You can’t in the US, Kinder Eggs are banned (it’s a long-standing FDA rule IIRC).

nealglover
    Free Member

You can’t in the US, Kinder Eggs are banned (it’s a long-standing FDA rule IIRC).

Since 1938, long before kinder eggs existed I suspect ?

My point was, the lack of toys in cereal packets in the UK isn’t likely to be anything to do with that (or a similar (imagined) UK rule) otherwise we wouldn’t be able to buy kinder eggs either.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Why are there no toys in breakfast cereal anymore?’ is closed to new replies.