Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why are spoke nipples made of brass, not stainless steel ?
  • According to http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_metals.htm brass is 8400 – 8730 kg per cubic metre, stainless steel is 7480 – 8000.

So, if spokes are made of stainless steel, it’s lighter than brass and less likely to round off under the spoke key, why isn’t it used for nipples ?
    Is it because stainless to brass is less likely to seize than stainless to stainless, or is there some other reason ?

bradley
    Free Member

Stainless is actually stain-resistant. Will still rust eventually but in regards to your question, idk…

Conan257
    Free Member

Steampunk wheels, innit.

scaredypants

“self-lubricating” features in the answer but I’m not quite sure how it really matters

gifferkev

Stainless on stainless has a tendency to gall, especially on threads. Causes it to bind or tear up and seize.

leffeboy

I thought stainless was a bit softer and maybe not able to take the tension so well on fine threads?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stainless to stainless is horrible for gallng !

A bit of internet research turns up a discussion amongst people who seem to know what they are talking about.
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/why-does-stainless-steel-gall-225765/

It seems stainless to stainless can even gall under finger pressure alone.

used to be a running bet with the new guys at Screw Products that they couldn’t take a 3/8-16 18-8 nut and run it by hand all the way down a 36″ length of 18-8 all-thread. I don’t think anyone ever did it.

takisawa2

Brass is nice & soft & easy to machine, especially for rolled threads. Stainless isn’t. Plated mild steel would rust as soon as it sees a spoke key.

Odd things spoke nipples, look like they are formed/spun rather than turned.

Galling is just the grain structure locking isn’t it ?

Greybeard
    Free Member

They have to be able to turn when the spoke is tight, enhancing the friction force in both the spoke/nipple thread and the nipple/rim interface. I think brass does well on friction. Also, is it better if the nipple wears out or the rim?

tbark22
    Free Member

Im not sure about bike use but I have found stainless to be a bit more brittle when used in screws compared to brass. The heads tend to pop off when under a bit of stress whereas brass will take a bit more punishment.

AverageMark
    Free Member

Stainless nipples would gall up as soon as you look at them, you can coat the threads to prevent this with copper but you still only get 6-12 make and breaks. Wouldn’t worry about the strength of them – 13Cr is used alot for couplings, crossovers and hanger bodies on undersea pipelines.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why are spoke nipples made of brass, not stainless steel ?’ is closed to new replies.