Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Why are spectators allowed to run alongside the riders in Le Tour
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen today’s race now, and actually that was stoopid, not just enthusiastic but hard to see which way the riders were supposed to go at times. Safe to say, you don’t get that in DH… 😈

Duggan

It does seem a bit dangerous and daft but I’d be gutted if it all got sanitised…surely that kind of stuff is part of the tour and it’s legend?

It’s incredible that compared to other sports today people can still run right alongside the riders and get so close to them, would deffo spoil it if this part got took away.

In fairness out of the 100’s of riders that pass through the masses I don’t think any of them got significantly impeded?

kevin1911

I do pity the riders. 5 hours in the searing heat riding your arse off and then some muppet comes running along side dressed like a colourblind clown yelling in your ear. If I was ever good enough to ride the tour I’d be thrown off for punching these numpties.

I fear it’s just a matter of time before it goes too far and someone gets a firework in the face or someone gets hit and seriously injured. Then what…

No idea what the solution is though…

avdave2

I stood on Ditchling Beacon for the Tour back in 94 and despite it being packed there were no problems with the crowd. Maybe because they came up it faster than any human can run!
    The simple answer is replace the lead motorbike with a snowplough.

kevin1911

Excellent idea. Would make it much more appealing for the tv audience too 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

At least there interested enough to turn up. If it was the UK we would have seats sold to corporate nobbers and security keeping everyone else away.

My faves was the guy with a pig on ventoux, priceless!!

Duggan

Yeah I saw that pig guy, he was brilliant 😆

He looked so happy

Duggan

I fear it’s just a matter of time before it goes too far and someone gets a firework in the face or someone gets hit and seriously injured. Then what…

To be fair it’s been going for a hundred years already and no problems yet?

zippykona

To be fair it’s been going for a hundred years already and no problems yet?

Last years nails, That dopey copper in the sprint ,Lances shopping bag?

ska-49
    Free Member

This is how we should deal with them..

Video (Language NSFW): http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ba_1374251454

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Part of the Tour, wouldn’t have half the atmosphere if barriers every where. In fact I was disappointed when the top of the Alpe was barriers.

Wait until next year in Keighley, Im sure all the local drug dealers will be out, patting the riders on the back passing on their high performance drugs (or nicking their bikes)

njee20
    Free Member

Ska’s link is superb! Chapeau to the guy!

Froome gave a rider a bloody good shove yesterday, it is ridiculous, but as said, its impractical to police it.

butcher

It does seem a bit dangerous and daft but I’d be gutted if it all got sanitised…surely that kind of stuff is part of the tour and it’s legend?

Totally agree. It’s mostly harmless fun, and the riders themselves seem to do a good job of policing the worst offenders. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t help them at times, but it’s all part of the battle. I want to see gladiators, fighting their way to a frenzied finale. If I wanted to see the fastest guy in clinical conditions, I’d watch them whizz around a velodrome.

In fact I think they need to take some influence from the wrestling and batter people with chairs and stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

My faves was the guy with a pig on ventoux, priceless!!

This guy?

chakaping
    Free Member

Pig man is keeping a respectful distance, nothing wrong with that.

Good to see Froome-dog clout those berks who got in his way yesterday though.

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Gedoutdaway!

Houns

Dozy ****. more need to be tripped over, however there is a risk of them falling in front of a rider.

I can’t get my head around why they do it or get so obsessed about standing there for hours to watch a few seconds of action

andytherocketeer

To the guy in the blue t-shirt… next yr, on AdH, any chance of letting off a hand flare and shoving it in the faces of those pillocks wielding hand flares?
    Ta!

chakaping
    Free Member

obsessed about standing there for hours

Days or weeks more like. I was in Alp d’Huez two weeks ago and they were already turning up in their motorhomes, sitting out on picnic chairs drinking and cheering on any riders who went past.

Awesome but a bit weird.

Tom-B
    Free Member

The best bit of the tour if you ask me. Occasionally some go a little to far, but incidents are pretty rare given how many people are on the mountain. Of course it’ d be just as intense an experience if all of the mountain was cordoned off and tickets were sold at a couple of grand a piece to corporate hospitality and only 10% turned up……oh wait 🙄

MoreCashThanDash

Can’t wait for next year when we form a long orderly queue to get on Holme Moss and applaud politely while they ride past us.

It’s Great being British!

samuri
    Free Member

Pig guy is also carrying a duck.
    That was clearly the best day of his life. If I’m ever feeling down in the future I’ll think of his happy face as he runs along with his farmyard friends to cheer me up.

float
    Free Member

the standing in close i dont mind too much, even running along side on the less populated climbs, but running alongside on alp d’huez climb? theres just not enough room at all. its just inconsiderate to other people who want to watch IMO.

Jamie
    Free Member

Here you go, Samurai. Pop this:

….on to one of these, for whenever you need cheering up.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Why are spectators allowed to run alongside the riders in Le Tour’ is closed to new replies.