Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Why are so many ad voice overs 'regional' or 'interesting' accents?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Is it just a London/Southern thing? Is it ’cause us Londoners will notice it more and remember it better? Do ads for Northern UK regions use Southern accents? 😕

druidh
    Free Member

How can you have a voice that isn’t regional?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

As soon as it became trendy, it became irritating because it’s so obviously contrived.

Advertisers don’t seem to have realized yet though.

psychle
    Free Member

The Co-Operative – Goood with Foood…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lots are irritating but better than Estuary accents!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Because we’re tired of southern accents which have dominated telly since 1934.

Although Sean Bean’s on O2 is offensively contrived.

peakmonster
    Free Member

I think if u used southern accents on northerners to try and sell something they wouldn’t buy it,
    doesn’t come across as trust worthy ( prob why they use Parkinson to sell insurance to coffin dodgers)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Do ads for Northern UK regions use Southern accents?

They tried . . . .

saxabar
    Free Member

Cos before before the 80s all ads featured middle class kids with received pronunciation. Methinks then probably an attempt at realism and authenticity.

wwaswas

before before the 80s all ads featured middle class kids with received pronunciation

the Lorraine Chase Campari ads seem to contradict that…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed that voice overs with Scottish accents on adverts are used to suggest that the product or service represents good value for money.

Well it’s always convinced me of that anyway.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That ‘Good with Food’ one sounds like ‘Gid with Fid’ to me.

That isn’t even English.

As Mountaincarrot says, it became trendy and consequently annoying. There are some awful presenters too who I find difficult to understand. Bleakley, Zoe Ball, and that Dermot O’Leary are some of the worst. I’m sure O’Leary has invented his own language, where there is just one long indecipherable word for everything, which must be pronounced like a growling dog not pausing for breath.

At least you can lip-read him on the telly, but on the radio you’ve got no chance.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’ees willarn to do voice-ovvvaaarrrsss in my native zummerzet accent for cold hard cash.

Unless it involves that dreadful ad (?for muesli bars) with the city types falling out of the sky, like a biblical plague of downsizers.

uplink
    Free Member

Jane Horrock’s Tesco ads seem to be working OK

TheBrick
    Free Member

“Oooooo we love tool station!!!”

No we don’t.

Wickes “Get the job done”

Not all tradesmen are cockney.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Northerners are perceived to be more trustworthy and friendly with the obvious exception of scousers.

Also I think people in the south don’t really mind which accent is used whereas a southern accent to chippy northeners might as well be saying “don’t buy our stuff”.

uplink
    Free Member

Northerners are perceived to be more trustworthy and friendly

Smoke without fire etc 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I thought only Sean Bean and Sean Pertwee were allowed to do advert voiceovers, it’s the law.

saxabar
    Free Member

before before the 80s all ads featured middle class kids with received pronunciation

the Lorraine Chase Campari ads seem to contradict that…

Quite right. I was thinking of the Alan Parker ads for Birds Eye and Hovis that began in the 70s and not the 80s (although new to me as a young un in the 80s!)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wasn’t the whole point/humour behind the Campari ads …….. that Lorraine Chase’s voice was a “joke” ?

I don’t think she was chosen because an Essex accent was deemed to sell Campari.

Kit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMEOG7MtYs[/video]

backhander
    Free Member

Always wondered why none of the Bristol station radio DJs or newsreaders have west country accents. I likes it and wants to ear more of it.

busydog
    Free Member

They play up regional accent on some ads here in the US, which al
    ways seems a bit contrived, but have a question along the advert line:

Do TV stations in the UK crank up the volume several steps on every commercial?? They do here and it is really annoying. They have been talking about passing an Fed. Comm. reg that would prohibit it, but nothing ever happens.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

……….to appeal to the wider public, perhaps? Good old working class make up the majority of the population, makes perfect sense. More often than note the accents are provided by a well-known actor from that area.

loddrik
    Free Member

Northerners are perceived to be more trustworthy and friendly with the obvious exception of scousers.

🙄

john_drummer
    Free Member

Do TV stations in the UK crank up the volume several steps on every commercial??

they used to but I think there’s a law against it now. if there isn’t there bloody well should be 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

More often than note the accents are provided by a well-known actor from that area.

that ad for broadband allegedly from Yorkshire – Plusnet is it? – the accents are so fake you can almost see the eccles cakes in their gobs 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cockney + Scouse: Ill-educated, shifty, crafty, sneaky, crooked.

Brummie: Boring.

West Country: Thick.

Oirish: Terrorist, or charming lovable rogues.

Scottish: Bitter, aggressive, hateful.

RC/Home Counties: Posh, snobbish, stuck-up, aloof.

Etc….

I don’t mind regional, as it’s obviously natural that people have regional accent, albeit they are obviously selected for purpose.

What really grates on me – and it’s usually on commercial radio adverts – is the plummy, middle aged, overtly upper class ‘put on’ accents that seem oh so popular.

CaptJon
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

Do TV stations in the UK crank up the volume several steps on every commercial??

they used to but I think there’s a law against it now. if there isn’t there bloody well should be [/quote]

They get around it my increasing the loudness, but keeping the volume the same.

Channel 4 are buggers for that too

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No regional accents bother me at all, as I’m not insular, narrow-minded or bigoted against anyone regardless of origin or background.

I think it’s good that people have accents that give them a cultural identity according to where they’re from.

I just don’t like the snobbishness and parochialism that seems to come with disliking/stereotyping people based on their accent.

john_drummer
    Free Member

for me, it’s faking the accent – poorly – that grates the most.

I refer back to the Plusnet ad – how hard would it have been to get a professional Yorkshire person in like “now then now then” Jimmy Savile, or John “get down Shep” Noakes?, nay, they had to get someone in from outside to fake it, and fail it they did 😉

MrOvershoot

Elfinsafety – Member

Cockney + Scouse: Ill-educated, shifty, crafty, sneaky, crooked.

Brummie: Boring.

West Country: Thick.

Oirish: Terrorist, or charming lovable rogues.

Scottish: Bitter, aggressive, hateful.

RC/Home Counties: Posh, snobbish, stuck-up, aloof.

Etc….

Pretty much spot on (apart from some of the Scottish)

nonk
    Free Member

a lot was learnt from call centre’s i think.

Whatever happened to Richard Briers ?
    He used to do the voice overs for everything when I was a kid.

I like the way bloke stuff has to be advertised by someone with a gruff voice who has trouble pronouncing the letter T.
    We’ve got one on the local radio for Gran’s Me’als, Stourpor’ on Severn.

grumm
    Free Member

I seem to remember there is some market research that shows people think of northerners and scottish people as sounding more honest than southerners. Yorkshire folk especially are seen as ‘straight-talking’ apparently.

backhander
    Free Member

You sayin I’m fik elf?
    Funnily enough I’ve been stereotyped as think due to my accent many times and sometimes play up to it as it’s good to be underestimated.

Pook

Because there’s more of us than laaaaaaaaaandaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’ve been stereotyped as think due to my accent many times and sometimes play up to it as it’s good to be underestimated.

I’ve been doing this on here for years! 😀

It’s quite fun actually.

Love the way on US shows, that Brits usually have very clipped, RP accents. As though we’re all posh and take tea with the Queen. 😆

Does anyone remember the episode of ‘The Word’, where (a very out of it looking) Eddie Murphy called Terry Christian a ‘Cockney’? Ha ha! Christian was well pee’d off by that!

I love accents me. Once spent a very enjoyable hour or so chatting about regional accents with actress and comedian Josie Lawrence.

People should feel proud of where they’re from, and not hide their roots, just cos others are bigots. I think it’s a bit sad when people drop their regional accents so as to seem more sophisticated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Why are so many ad voice overs 'regional' or 'interesting' accents?’ is closed to new replies.