Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Why are rich people always so dull ?
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

Why wait?

I would need to dedicate at least 3 years full-time to training in running, close combat, tracking, navigation, survival skills and general fitness. Also probably meditation. I would need to outfit my expedition (including finding a really, really good spear) and would need to learn a Tungusic language well enough to sustain a conversation about the movements and habits of large animals in un-mapped forest regions.

The expedition itself would not be something my wife was much interested in, and would take years.

Total budget therefore would need to be a minimum of 6 years of current revenue spend, plus equipment, travel and training costs. Not much change from £100,000 to do it properly.

🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just go spear a dog on a rough housing estate, bet you don’t make it out alive!

Dickyboy

Thing is you don’t necessarily know how wealthy people are – you see someone with expensive car & house & think what a boring way to spend their money, what you don’t see are the infinitely wealthier folk spending their money in a different way. I had no idea how wealthy my cycling buddy was (met him through school football & cycling awareness courses with the kids) until he took an extended sabatical & spent countless millions on a boat moored in south france, thousands of acres of wilderness land in south africa, setting up an outdoor activity foundation in spain & buying a chateau in south france – yet if you saw us out on our bikes you would probably think him on below average salary 8)

peterfile
    Free Member

Thing is you don’t necessarily know how wealthy people are – you see someone with expensive car & house & think what a boring way to spend their money, what you don’t see are the infinitely wealthier folk spending their money in a different way.

There is a huge difference between being wealthy and having lots of money though.

Many of my wealthy friends/acquaintances have inherited wealth and a great deal of it is tied up in assets rather than a shed load of cash in the bank. One close friend has a jaw dropping amount of cash in the bank, but rarely dips in to it because it is not “his” to spend frivolously.

Contrast that to friends from less affluent backgrounds, now earning 4 times what their parents did, but still far from wealthy…financial planning was never high on the list when they were brought up and it shows at times!

pictonroad

just read about Jeff Bezos and that clock of the long now.

There is a Clock ringing deep inside a mountain. It is a huge Clock, hundreds of feet tall, designed to tick for 10,000 years.

Each to their own I suppose.

brakes
    Free Member

One close friend has a jaw dropping amount of cash in the bank, but rarely dips in to it because it is not “his” to spend frivolously.

whose is it then?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just while we’re on the subject of massive negative generalisations, can someone explain to me why:

1. All Muslims are murdering extremists?
    2. Why all women are completely and utterly irrational?
    3. Why are all gay men so promiscuous?
    4. Why are all vegans so utterly as dull as the rich…

I could go on but I think you get my point?

peterfile
    Free Member

whose is it then?

He always refers to it as family money, currently entrusted to him!

A load of his family’s land was sold off many years ago and although I think much of it has been reinvested elsewhere, there is still a load of cash in the bank.

He tends not to spend it on depreciating assets (so drives a cheap car, despite being a bit of a petrol head), but does spend a fair bit on houses (lovely ones in Yorkshire, north Wales and now Thailand). He also uses some for starting new businesses, he’s a chef by trade and has always worked full time since I’ve know him, so likes setting up restaurants in various places. Nothing spectacular, but enough to provide him with a decent living.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about rich, gay, female, vegan Muslamic swans?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ah now they are the worst Flashy!

MrSmith
    Free Member

not being funny or anything but your name is Graham, you live in the midlands and you like trailquests.
    now some people if forced to pick one word to indicate their opinion of you might jump to conclusions and form an untrue opinion from those facts and come up with the word ‘dull’

kimbers

i think its something to do with owning a santa cruz bronson c with enve wheels

…massive negative generalisations…

That’s the problem with using big words like “hyperbole” on an open forum.
    There’s always going to be people who can’t quite keep up.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you’ll excuse the attention grabbing hyperbole in the headline

I shall file this alongside “no offence, but…” and “with all due respect…”

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1. All Muslims are murdering extremists?
    2. Why all women are completely and utterly irrational?
    3. Why are all gay men so promiscuous?
    4. Why are all vegans so utterly as dull as the rich…

Not all gay men are promiscuous.

peterfile
    Free Member

Not all gay men are promiscuous.

Wooooossssshhhhh! 🙂

So you’re happy that 1, 2 and 4 are correct though?

mudshark
    Free Member

I think you fell into his trap 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There seem to be some faulty irony-meters on STW today

tomhoward

I used to work in a fairly low rent bar in Derby and, a couple of days a week, a fairly unassuming chap would come in, have a couple of pints of whatever was on offer. We all just assumed he was one of the many men of a certain age who would collect their pension at the post office next door and give most of it to us. Any way, one day we were having a chat about top gear/cars and he pipes up outlining reasons why he didnt choose a number of hypermegaexpensive supercars (all of the reasons were very nit picky, silly things)

‘Alright John, what would you have if your numbers came up?’
    ‘I bought a lamborghini actually’
    ‘Righto, sure you did…’

Conversation tails off, I think nothing of it. Next day what turns up outside the pub? A black lambo, with an incredibly ‘Told you so’ looking John in the drivers seat. Apparently he rarely used it on the road (mainly track) as he didnt like the attention.

peterfile
    Free Member

I think you fell into his trap

😆

Although, if it wasn’t a trap, you just handed the Edinburgh Defence on a platter!

geetee1972
    Free Member

It wasn’t a trap it was a point.

I cannot abide hypocrisy. All other human failings are fine, but hypocrisy is just unacceptable.

psling
    Free Member

I’m guessing from “Point 4” that geetee1972 knows the OP too 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

You know I think I do know him – were you the chap I donated the guitar to MTG? I met your wife at the Garden Centre that time.

No offence meant and non taken.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m guessing from “Point 4” that geetee1972 knows the OP too

I wasn’t sure, but I chuckled when I read it!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

ffs – how many stereotypes. Such a funny thread.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t know what you call rich, but my mate lives in Monaco and paid cash for his £3m superyacht (OK it was 12 months old) – dull cartainly is not the way I would describe him!
    I could post pics but I’m not going to!

zilog6128

Odd though, for every über-rich person building spaceships or giant clocks or exploring the depths in submarines there must be hundreds just content to live the quiet life. Fair enough, I suppose, but I’d definitely find some bonkers project to sink my teeth into if I won the EuroMillions!

geetee1972
    Free Member

but I’d definitely find some bonkers project to sink my teeth into if I won the EuroMillions!

My wife and often have that conversation of an evening. We would set up some sort of charitable trust, probably based around providing education access to underprivileged children through scholarships.

A friend of mine managed to work hard enough, pay off his mortgage and save enough cash that by the age of 37, he didn’t need to work again as long as we was careful. He then started working voluntarily for a charity he’d always been partially involved with.

rocketman
    Free Member

I only know one person (at work) who is wealthy and they freely admit they have no hobbies, no friends and no family. Quite proud of it in fact.

Nice cars and a never ending stream of Grand Designs type houses that they spend years doing up and then leave but nothing else apart from that. And work.

all part of life’s rich tapestry eh

psling
    Free Member

I wonder how many couples discuss all the philanthropic things they will do when they win the lottery – it’s a kind of mindset that makes you believe you’ll have a better chance of winning, a bit like saying prayers to get into heaven 8)

LHS
    Free Member

He always refers to it as family money, currently entrusted to him!

We have a number of friends who are in a similar situation where there grandparents / great grandparents made oodles of money and that has been passed down to them to invest, grow and enjoy. The family philosophies are that each generation has to leave more money for that before them. They enjoy very nice / priviledged lives but not at the expense of the family fortune.

A much better philosophy than the “new money” don’t work cause daddy is rich and will leave sweet FA for their kids.

BigDummy
    Free Member

a never ending stream of Grand Designs type houses that they spend years doing up

Sounds like their hobbies are architecture, design and building. Which is pretty similar to Meccano.

🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I wonder how many couples discuss all the philanthropic things they will do when they win the lottery – it’s a kind of mindset that makes you believe you’ll have a better chance of winning, a bit like saying prayers to get into heaven

Funnily enough we won £50 on the lottery on the weekend. I bought my son a new bike helmet though so not sure that counts as philanthropic.

Leku
    Free Member
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

another not-a-paris-hilton-fan, and the bike press mocked royally when it was announced, until they started winning races and developing stars (Maverick Vinales, came 3rd in the championship).

Saw a documentary about some tedious daytime TV chef who spent something like £600k on an old ferrari just to enter the Mille Miglia. I was gutted when it blew up. 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

James Martin? He hates cyclists you know….?!

There was a young lady at JLP when I worked there who’d won millions on the lottery, just carried on doing her very ordinary IT job.

brooess
    Free Member

Wealth managers talk about rags to riches in 3 generations;
    There’s a generation that make all the money – self-made. They work hard, have positive values and a sensible attitude towards the wealth they created and tend to be responsible with it, having worked hard to create it.
    The next generation grow up knowing some of this story, and with most of the values of their parents. Having seen the sheer effort their parents made, they tend to be responsible with the wealth.
    Then the grandkids come along. All they know is big houses, private schools, wealth that’s just ‘there’. They’ve not worked for it and neither did they experience their grandparents working for it so they tend to take it for granted and squander the lot.
    It’s only the successful wealthy families that can engender in each generation that their job is to look after that wealth and pass it on to the next generation.

I have a theory that the Western world is going through an extended version of this – the Empire/Victorian generation built the infrastructure and institutions that our grandparents grew up with (look at how many UK houses are Victorian, and the railways for e.g.)

Our grandparents generation knew enough about it to not take the wealth for granted – helped no doubt by the scarcities of material goods during and between WW1, Great Depression and WW2. Then the baby boomers came along and went ‘wa-haaaay’ and wasted the lot. We’re now picking up the pieces and could well be doing so for a couple more generations. Unless of course we can find some new way to generate wealth for ourselves…

geetee1972
    Free Member

Brooes I think there is some merit to your theory. I have read many times in various journals etc, that the babyboomers have lived through the single greatest step change in economic wealth that we’ve have ever witnessed and have amassed a huge amount of wealth. It is generation X that has over spent trying to keep up with things like rising house prices (driven largely by the baby boomers in the 80s and 90s).

Couple that with the population demographic that looks like an inverted triangle and a pension system that has always been based on the current generation of workers financing the current generation of retirees and you have the mess we are in today.

LHS
    Free Member

What brooes said.

The rich wealthy with real class are those that can keep on growing the family generated wealth year on year through similar hard work.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I had forgotten how deeply Paris Hilton affects me. She is very beautiful.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Why are rich people always so dull ?’ is closed to new replies.