• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why are rear shocks so expensive?
  • zippykona

There’s less than half the materials of a pair of forks.
    Probably less to design and I need a new one and am unhappy.

Rscott
    Free Member

same technology but smaller, id say they were pretty good value in comparison

chrishc777
    Free Member

alot less market? Everyone seems to want to upgrade their forks at some point whilst people seem to live with the stock shock.
    Saying that forks are between 700-1000£ whilst shocks are 300-500.
    And consider that they hold much higher pressures and being smaller maybe requires more technology to get all the damping circuits and gubbins into a package less than a quarter the size?
    Just a few guesses, I too want a new shock and wish they where cheaper.
    I also want new forks and wish they where cheaper too

z1ppy

From what I’ve seen lately, buy a 2nd hand fox & get it serviced, still probably less than half the price of a new one.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Plus my fox ctd weighs 250g, that’s lighter than my lightweight handlebars..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member
    Stevelol
    Free Member

The new ccdb inline for £350 is a bargain compared to the competition.

chrishc777
    Free Member

OOOh completely forgot about that, will be ordering myself one I think, Any reviews about yet?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

There’s less than half the materials of a pair of forks.
    Probably less to design and I need a new one and am unhappy.

No less to design I don’t think, at least with forks you can have the spring and damper in different legs whereas the shock has to make it all fit in one package. Plus, the cost of forks and shocks isn’t in the (very small) cost of the raw materials it’s the machining and assembly that’ll cost.

ojom
    Free Member

When a night in a hotel is about £90 then it doesn’t seem much. Or a tank of fuel being about £90 too.

The shock lasts longer and gives you way more fun. Depending of course on who is sharing the hotel room with you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why are rear shocks so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.