Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why are my 819s eating my innertubes?
  • legend
    Free Member

Ok so ‘eating’ is a bit strong, but I’ve recently had a string of punctures all of which have been on the face of the tube that’s in contact with the rim. The holes look a lot the those you get on a normal rim if the rim tape shifts (but a bit more torn) – obviously this can’t be the case on these ones.

Anyone had similar issues? Wondering if tube is somehow sticking to the rim a bit then ripping. Had the same sort of puncture on both front and rear, no visible damage to the rim in puncture area.

P.S. Yes I know that tubeless is probably the answer

d45yth
    Free Member

P.S. Yes I know that tubeless is probably the answer

FTFY! Failing that, have you put any talc on the tubes?

scaled
    Free Member

You have UST rims, as such tubeless is definitely the answer

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The obvious answer would be that the rim is not totally smooth and there is a small sharp bit causing punctures . Work out from the hole in the tube where abouts on the rim the punctures are occuring and very slowly drag a piece of cotton wool round the rim it both directions and see if it snags on anything . If so smooth it out and you will be cured . If there is nothing there then you could run a rim strip or else go tubeless .

br
    Free Member

Latex gloves are handy for finding ‘splinters’ and the like, but tbh tubeless is easy with 819’s.

legend
    Free Member

There’s still a bit of a problem with going tubeless though. Everyone carries a spare tube in case of a tubeless puncture on the trail, at the moment I could end up a tad stranded due to the tube eaters. Going to see of talc helps, all seems a bit odd

Northwind

I take it they’re not always in the same place?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its tearing around the valve stem then its likely to be the tyre rotating on the rim slightly.
    Clean the inside of the rim where the bead sits, talc the tube and clean the outside of the tyre around the bead, again so it grips the rim better.

D0NK

No Idea if you are suffering the same but years ago I went from 317s to 819s, 317s were malleable, rock strikes deformed them and I got the occasional flat, straightened em out with an adjustable spanner occasionally. 819s are solid so no give and as a result a hell of a lot of pinch punctures…til I went tubeless 🙂

Unless the tube is ripping around the valve there’s nothing on 819s to tear the tube. Just a thought how is the bead on your tyres? Any damage?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

D0NK might be on to something there. The 819s are pretty narrow so if the inside part of the bead is a bit rough it might be rubbing on the tube

legend
    Free Member

Not always in the same place, not even on the same wheel.
    Also not around the valve stem.

Unless the tube is ripping around the valve there’s nothing on 819s to tear the tube. Just a thought how is the bead on your tyres? Any damage?

Yup, that’s why it’s so odd. Seems to be right in the middle rather than near the bead, tyres are fairly new and in good condition.

Saccades
    Free Member

There’s still a bit of a problem with going tubeless though. Everyone carries a spare tube in case of a tubeless puncture on the trail, at the moment I could end up a tad stranded due to the tube eaters. Going to see of talc helps, all seems a bit odd

I don’t, I use proper UST tyres very occasionally with some stan’s fluid in them.

Proper UST are a lot tougher than normal tyres (sidewall mainly) so anything that going to take out a UST tyre would destroy a normal tyre beyond sticking a tube in to get home.

I do have to ask why you are running UST specfic rims with tubes though…

legend
    Free Member

Rims (well wheels) came with a frame I bought, hadn’t gone out intentionally looking to go tubeless

bigyinn
    Free Member

Heres a thought, the 819s don’t require rim tape as the only hole is for the valve?
    Could it just be a bit of grit getting caught between the tube and the rim well?

legend
    Free Member

yup, could be something like that. Odd to happen on both wheels, but it would explain why there’s nothing obvious. Going to trying and get the tyres off tonight in such a way that i can hopefully see what’s going on

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why are my 819s eating my innertubes?’ is closed to new replies.