Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why are motorhomes white?
  • Curly68
    Free Member

Just watching the TdF and saw an aerial shot of the wonderful roads. On the shot, there were plenty of motorhomes parked up all white!
    Does anyone know why they are white? Same with caravans. The americans have their RV's different colours, why not us europeans?

wwaswas

they did different colours in the 70's but no-one bought them so they went back to off-white and white…

alexxx
    Free Member

reflect the heat?

myheadsashed

White reflects the sun and keeps the temperature down inside motor homes without using air-con most RV have air_con fuel is cheaper in the states – most caravans and motorhomes are used during the summer months.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I have recently seen on my travels some new van based ones in red and blue, but just the cab bit with coresponding graphics they definately look better than plain ol' white

TheDoog
    Free Member

On a tenuously similar note. Why has no one redesigned the ice cream van since 1973?? It's one of the few things that hasn't changed since i was a kid.

Cougar

I think they're just the same vans (but hopefully not 1970's icecream)

binners

Its a total mystery. After all, the people who drive motorhomes and tow caravans are renowned for having their fingers on the pulse of popular culture. The 'must have' colours of the season are unlikely to get past them. Oh no.

Lets be honest. These are the type of people who write letters to the daily Telegraph to complain that the cardigan selection of Marks and Spenvers has got a bit 'racey' of late.

I'm surprised their isn't a law to say that anything isn't beige will be immediately impounded

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

copy that out of clarksons book then? 😀

Moses

Umm. Our van's slate-grey. Much classier

TheBrick
    Free Member

White paint is cheaper and markets well. Never forget how conservative most purchasers are. It's a shame really because it does mean that carvan sites are an eyesore due to the way the weight vans sick out like a sore thumb for miles.

myheadsashed – Member

White reflects the sun and keeps the temperature down inside motor homes without using air-con most RV have air_con fuel is cheaper in the states – most caravans and motorhomes are used during the summer months.

No, this is a common misconception. Being white may increase the time the van takes to reach it's top temperature but not what that top temperature is. Consider a if you put a black brick and a white brick into an oven; they will both reach the same temperature. Interestingly the black brick will cool quicker in theory as it will radiate quicker but convection and conduction will happen at the same rate as the white brick.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why are motorhomes white?’ is closed to new replies.