Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Why are English people so unpatriotic?
  • Northwind

I like how patriotic = supporting 11 men who kick a ball reasonably well.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I'd rather be English and un-patriotic than be South African and patriotic, put it that way.

Ti29er
    Free Member

duffmiver – Member
    we live in a sh1te country, with a sh1te government, sh1tey weather, and it's full of little sh1tes that run around shooting people because the police are sh1te!

Is that a referemce to SA?
    I'd always fancied going there – but I'm not so sure now.
    Maybe I'll stay at home and hold a pint of warm beer for 90 minutes whilst someone explains to me the onside tarp.

What always bemuses me is the collective happines / misery the country decends into depending on the result. Maybe they should all be 11-11 draws with each man scoring and and inside for tea and sanwiches afterwards – or am I getting confused with cricket?

yunki
    Free Member

public transport I reckon

RustySpanner

Noooooooo Ti29er, THIS is how cricket works:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

It's quite simple really, do try and keep up.

And as for DaRC_L – Member

don't worry Rusty just keep wearing the suspenders and your pitching will be fine.

Pitching is in Baseball, or Rounders as we call it in the UK, unless you're from Derby, in which case it's where you used to play football.
    And I've hardly ever worn suspenders.

I hope that clears things up.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I alwyas thought the English invented cricket to demonstrate what eternity must feel like.

molgrips
    Free Member

Without Edward Longshanks there'd be no Scotland we'd all be one happy British family (apart from the Welsh of course)

The Welsh ARE the British, so all you foreigners can bugger off 🙂

DaRC_L

But baseball and softball come from stoolball and that's based in sussex/surrey

and molgrips welsh is the a-s word for foreigner…

DaRC_L

and cricket is belgian (a bit like stella)

aP
    Free Member

I always thought the best thing about being British was not having to worry about patriotism unlike those that come from dictatorships.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Belgian? who knew, not me anyway 🙂

duffmiver
    Free Member

@ Ti29er

no, i was talking about england

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips welsh is the a-s word for foreigner

It is, which reinforces what I said. The Welsh word for English is Saesneg ie Saxon. And Saxons were not from Britain 😉

DaRC_L

so you mean all the estroniaid/emmitts can b-**-! off

But then many of the british weren't from Britain, such as the Cantii who were…
    yep you've guessed it – Belgian 😆
    No wonder a pint of spouse-batterer is so popular.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Welsh word for English is Saesneg ie Saxon.

= Sasenach ? So basically if the Angles and Saxons **** off back to Schleshwig-Holstein we natives can go back to smearing ourselves with woad in peace ?

theotherjonv

If you're going to claim that a proportion of Britons are actually descended from other tribes / nations, you've missed the point if you claim we're really Belgian. Belgium exists only since 1830-something, by the forced amalgamation of the Flemish and Walloons. Neither of whom speak to each other to this day…….

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep, barnes, that's right 🙂

epicyclo

Thanks RustySpanner – never understood cricket before.

Should I get a steel strung or carbonfibre cricket racquet?

DaRC_L

<cough><splutter><cough>
    we'll be flemish then

except they're the same mongrel mix of celto-germanic people us British (and yes that includes you Cymri / Welsh lot and the t'other Kernewak ones)
    just like the Walloons, Scots and most of northern europe…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I reckon us English are very patriotic e.g. we wont join the Euro. But we're naturally reserved. We think that all that flag waving jingoism is a bit naff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Basically, it was us Western Europeans vs the Romans, as history records it…

soobalias
    Free Member

this thread went right downhill after page three.

still keep plugging away

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Nelson laughs at all of you

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Why are English people so unpatriotic?’ is closed to new replies.