Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Why are dropper posts so expensive?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

When an office chair for 18 quid has an uppy downy post and a lever?Couldnt the technology be similar for a dropper post just scaled down in size?

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s like wedding cake tho in it…I mean a birthday cake costs 10er, say its fo a wedding and it’ll cost yer ten times that…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

If every office worker in the world bought a dropper post they would be considerably cheaper.

If office chairs had to be well sealed, deal with thousands of cycles and not rotate they would be considerably more expensive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Small market size, willing buyers ready to part with whatever that market chooses to charge.

soobalias
    Free Member

its like half a set of suspension forks, the half with the remote travel adjust bit

Marin
    Free Member

Because lazy people would rather spend money to fiddle and **** about getting in your way than just dropping their arse off the back. I’m off to bed now before you tell me how great they are.

martymac

they cost so much because people will pay it.

slackalice
    Free Member

Probably part of the industry conspiracy 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They cost so much because people will pay…….oops, beaten to it.

doh
    Free Member

They are not like half a set of forks. NO damping rebound etc so why not priced like half a set of cheap forks?

gwaelod
    Free Member

has anybody fitted a dropper post from a chair to an mtb?

Dickyboy

I’m not a fan – but I’m guessing its the up & down bit WITHOUT rotating that gets a bit tricky & therefore £££

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yet…

tomd
    Free Member

There are cheap ones, well sub £100 if that counts as cheap. They seem to work more of less, although perhaps the quality control is somewhat lacking.

I’d imagine they’d also be cheaper if they could weight 4kg and be made of steel, and had a market >50 million units / year.

honourablegeorge

doh – Member
    They are not like half a set of forks. NO damping rebound etc so why not priced like half a set of cheap forks?

Reverb has damping – you can adjust the return speed. And a hydraulic remote system. And it’s priced like a third of a set of expensive forks.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My office chair cost considerably more than my dropper seat post. Weighs considerably more too.

ojom
    Free Member

You should invent a new better cheaper one.

matther01
    Free Member

R&D costs, workforce, raw materials, warranties, marketing…oh and profit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    patriotpro
    Free Member

gwaelod – Member

Yeh it wo well comfy!

unklehomered
    Free Member

The making of the KS Lev

Oh I hate seeing how things are made, it never seems happy, I can’t help but imagine what happens to this woman when she steps outside the hazard tape…

duir
    Free Member

If you think they are expensive now, wait until the enduro specific 27.5″ version comes out.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Either they employ particularly short people to assemble the LEVs so their tiny fingers can get inside the tubes…. or that is a very tall table 😀

thepurist

perthmtb – yeah but when she presses a button it lowers to become a coffee table. Yours for £800. (or £1600 for the 27.5″ Enduro model).

perthmtb
    Free Member

😆

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

thepurist

patrick – an unholy union of 2 bits of office furniture 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

OP – you are a troll and I claim my £5.

theocb
    Free Member

Companies don’t bother testing properly so they ask the customer to pay for 3 posts at initial point of sale knowing they will probably have to supply 2 new ones via warranty claims.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Why are dropper posts so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.