Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Why are drivers still driving fast or stupidly over B roads covered in ice?
  • mrchrispy

this thread needs more pictures of X5’s in ditches.
    A Q7 on it roof would be freaking ace but maybe thats asking too much

Bimbler
    Free Member

[/url]

chainslapp
    Free Member

this thread needs more pictures of X5’s in ditches.
    A Q7 on it roof would be freaking ace but maybe thats asking too much

I can do a mix of both…..

hora
    Free Member

I’m getting bored with these threads now, everyone’s an expert, infallible driver until they come a cropper of course…

Of course it could never happen to an STW big hitter…

I think I can answer this question quite capably. Ok its early am just after the bottom of Rushops Edge. Heres a pic of the road as it starts to dip/drop down- its probably about -5 at this stage and you can clearly see its heading down towards a fog bank 100m’s ahead. I’m doing about 25mph (its a 50 limit). A bloke in a newish black Audi A3 with really shit number plates comes up behind me (doing probably what you would do on a Summers day) then overtakes- he narrowly missed a Landrover Defender coming the other way. It was really quite close. At no point did I accelerate to teach him a lesson- I hit my horn to warn him about what he about to do- but he still did it.

So you see its not rocket science- DRIVE SLOWLY.

jimjam
    Free Member

But Hora, he was driving an Audi Quattro so he doesn’t need to worry about adverse conditions.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes, a superior vehicle with TC, EPS, ABS etc. All killer-acronyms designed to enhance your awesomeness at the wheel and devolve you of any sort of sense. Rubber tyres are rubber tyres- no matter what you put above them they let go eventually and spectacularly like anything else.

rusty90
    Free Member

Rubber tyres are rubber tyres- no matter what you put above them they let go eventually and spectacularly like anything else.

Happens to the best of us it would seem. Lucky escape for mountain rescuers as Land Rover flips over

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In fairness this is a very steep hill with a sharp offcamber bend on it, people even crash on it in normal conditions

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Think Hora nails it – felling all smug and protected in their 20 airbag ABS blah blah blah car.

hora
    Free Member

In fairness this is a very steep hill with a sharp offcamber bend on it, people even crash on it in normal conditions

Hello wife, hmm don’t expect me home yet. No I can’t say why or explain. Ok ok there was a massive earthquake that flipped my car and only my car upside down. No one elses, honestly.

MoreCashThanDash

A road from Ilkeston to Nottingham not gritted last night, covered in mix of snow, slush and ice. I was leaving a big gap between me and the car in front approaching a stationary queue of traffic so slowed down to let a car out of a side road.

Cue much beeping of the horn from the asshat in the Picasso behind me inches from my rear bumper, peering through the letterbox in his windscreen.

I don’t know if he really thought his aggression would cause me to drive through the stationary traffic at a speed that suited him better.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Wife’s car yesterday.

Black peugeot (just visible) coming down hill to junction couldn’t stop. *sigh* Written-off probably.

hora
    Free Member

Darn. Civics of that era are good cars too 🙁 1.4?

mintimperial

Some creative parking spotted last weekend:

zigzag69
    Free Member

Darn. Civics of that era are good cars too 1.4?

1.6. Been a great car, no problems apart from a rusty heatshield that I had to pull off. Just hit 100k, was hoping for a few more years out of it. Oh well. New shape Jazz current replacement favourite.

footflaps
    gonzy
    Free Member

Every winter I say the samething- its not snow and ice that scares me, its other drivers.

your recent posts are making a lot of sense Hora….are you feeling ok?
    or is it me?? 😯

hora
    Free Member

Last winter on Snake Pass- if your coming from Glossop way- just after the long drag up and after you’ve crested the top section where everyone parks. On that descent down towards the treelined section theres often a very thin line of ice, probably about 1ft wide across the road-all in a straight line- its where water has drained from the land and runs across. Anyway last winter it claimed two cars that I saw – one drove over it and continued straight …. into a square-mesh bail of rubble. This happened inbetween me going to a ride and driving back – conditions were great. The driver obviously just panicked.

(Sameplace) The second time the car was further down the road on its roof.

a thin slither of ice did that. Amazes me.

We have to cycle on the roads with these people.

Gonzy- when it comes to winter driving I’ve no humour 🙁

stever
    Free Member

Because people are buffoons with a sense if entitlement and invincibilty. There’s no frickin hope for the future either – I was passed by a driving instructor on his way to his next gig doing a regular 30 on black ice near the school. He’s got skillz though, so black ice doesn’t affect him.

iainc

neighbour got a fright last week on the school run (with my son in car) when her awesome 4wd X1 skidded when she braked to give way at a roundabout….’no one ever comes round to that exit and my 4WD shouldn’t skid in the snow’….. I think iaincjnr and his mate were actually hoping for a slow speed collision so she’d have to get out the car in her Onesy and wellies 🙂

almightydutch
    Free Member

I don’t have anything creative to add…but glad my T5 has a manual handbrake 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My car is rear wheel drive (my first and last in colder countries).

Drive slowly today but did a hardish stop at 20 mph when nobody was around on my street and the car just glided… I drive to work at 35 mph on the B road with other drivers doing the same (driving safely and not braking on ice).

Tempted to get winter tyres after today’s drive but will they work on ice???

Suggsey
    Free Member

Everyone watched the Rally last week and now swear they’re as good as Ogier and Loeb etc but bet they didn’t watch the sections where they slowed to about 10mph round some of the icy bends.
    What really grips me is idiots in 4x4s who yes may have more grip for traction but don’t have a clue that to slow there 3tonne behemoths that it will still take them a greater distance to stop in ice/snow.
    I did my Police Advanced driving course in an icy December and January ( and the intemediate course did ditch their car on one particularly bad day). I am confident through that driving course that I can drive in such conditions, however despite having an 4motion car of my own, I chose not to drive anywhere in any vehicles today…..I had no real need to and stuff can always wait until tomorrow, plus they’re my vehicles now………..and therin lays part of the problem in people’s driving psyche, a lot of cars are company cars etc that the drivers really don’t give a toss about bending as someone else has said they will be okay in their faux 5 encap rated Audi etc etc etc.

hora
    Free Member

Ok, early Sunday morning I had to drive back to Manchester from Sheffield. Snake Pass was closed but I fancied having a look. It was 90% clear but being Snake and freezing/under trees etc I decided there would be black ice so stayed under 30mph.

Anyway I was passed by a bloke on a very old Suzuki(?) touring/sportsbike bike at speed.

I’ve seen it all now.

I saw a fair few abandoned cars- lots of them with one of the windows smashed. I’m guessing thats someone in a 4×4 stealing?

matt_outandabout

Again this morning, mrs_oab just called to say that she has stopped to calm her nerves after not one, but two cars did not stop exiting a side road onto main A-road she commutes on. Apparently after they stopped by using the verge opposite, causing all sorts of emergency stopping on the main road, they commented that it was the councils fault as the road still had ice on, and how were they expected to know it was slippery on a -2, damp morning?

Just past a bloke next to his Avensis which was pointing up in the air from a ditch. No idea how he did it road wasn’t that slippy. You are unlikely to end up there, when driving at a restrained speed due to the ice.

FTFY

hora
    Free Member

I can’t laugh about this- years ago I was having fun in a MX5 in the middle of winter sliding around. Stopped messing and decided to drive off into town…. sailed straight past the stop line of the give way for about 3metres.

That woke me up. Luckily it was a deserted area in the early morning.

drlex
    Free Member

Whether it’s the Monday rush, or just the Can’t Be Ar$ed factor, but saw loads of drivers in Capt Nemo mode, peering through portholes in the windscreens. Oh, for a warrant card and a couple of hours!

grahamh
    Free Member

they commented that it was the councils fault as the road still had ice on, and how were they expected to know it was slippery on a -2, damp morning?

About 25yrs ago there was a big pie up in fog on the M4, one of the drivers involved was being interviewed on the news and said that ‘they didn’t know it was foggy as no one had activated the matrix signs to tell them that it was foggy’ 🙄

hora
    Free Member

….and if you lift off to give a big enough space infront you get people squeezing in from the left and morons actively punishing you for daring to stay in lane for 1second longer than you should.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

lol I get that too Hora, leave a safety space and it’s automatically a sign for cut me up.

Typically snowed last night, wish I did buy winter tyres now.

Edric64
    Free Member

I was out on the tandem with the missus the other week and had to stop as it was to icy to ride on the highest road on Mendip .We flagged down cars as it was like glass a nd a young lad had bent his car round a telegraph pole .The highlight was the posh sounding bint in an X5 ,probably called Felicity who whilst skidding down the road opened the window and said “whats the problem why are you waving me down “
    Dont think she had been told because its icy and you are driving like a c**t befre

garage-dweller

^ to be fair it’s not the kind of expression that regularly features at school run time

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Why are drivers still driving fast or stupidly over B roads covered in ice?’ is closed to new replies.