Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Why are dogs all different sizes…
  • grum
    Free Member

I’m not really convinced by the premise. Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest cats are enormous compared to some other breeds.

nickc

Norwegian Forest cats

beautiful plumage

hels
    Free Member

Because they only make cat doors in one size.

camo16
    Free Member

Fair enough, but your basic cat is generically the same size – fancy ass breeds aside. Are all basic cats the same breed, just different colours?

May be cat obsessed. I suspect one’s been lurking in our shed for days, maybe trapped after the gales. Little blighter won’t come out.

maccruiskeen

I’m not really convinced by the premise. Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest cats are enormous compared to some other breeds.

They’re about twice the size of normal breeds, maybe 3 times the size of the smallest breeds. Dogs have 10 times the range. Its actually going small thats the limitation rather than big – the smallest breeds of cats aren’t really very much smaller than average.

P-Jay
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

I reckon humans have genetically interfered less with (domestic) cats than dogs.

Careful now, if you start talking about selective breeding and using words like genetics you’ll have the super foods, GMO fearmongers all over you.

Drac

Is it anything to do with them licking their dangleberries?

Would a warm sack at conception grow bigger offspring?

How can licking whinnets warm a scrotum?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Spend some time in Wales…

maccruiskeen

deadlydarcy – Member
    I reckon humans have genetically interfered less with (domestic) cats than dogs.

Careful now, if you start talking about selective breeding and using words like genetics you’ll have the super foods, GMO fearmongers all over you.

Thats the thing – theres no new genetic information the whole range of sizes and shapes come from the genes dogs had to start with. Our only interference has been choosing favourites.

aracer
    Free Member

If genes didn’t mutate. We share 84% of our genes with dogs.

maccruiskeen

We share 84% of our genes with dogs.

Its because we’re both made out meat

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ[/video]

Of course we share a large proportion of our DNA with things that are made out of the same stuff. The differences in size and shape and behaviour of the stuff is a fairly superficial compared to the similarities of what the stuff (meat, bones, teeth, hair) is made of

ahwiles
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

why are there no small elephants?

dannyh
    Free Member

Ah ha – Dassies.

Very good – I’d forgotten about them…..

Sundayjumper

Are Chihuahua’s less ‘intelligent’…

They’re not on this list, but it might be of interest: CLICK

lilchris
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Sorry, but I still can’t get over how hot Michael Jackson’s got.

Puppies come in all shapes and sizes.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Why are dogs all different sizes…’ is closed to new replies.