• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Why are cycling shoes nearly always narrow fitting?
  • slofox
    Free Member

Why are cycling shoes made so narrow when ordinary shoes are made in width fittings if you need them. Are cycling shoes narrow because they once had to be inserted into toe clips and no one has thought to change now we all use clip-less pedals or flats. I have the devil of a job finding cycling shoes that fit and even Keen who usually make fairly wide fitting shoes make a narrower fitting for their cycling shoes. Why?
    It is generally well know that people are bigger now than their parents and grand-parents, surely bigger people will need wider fitting shoes. So I ask again why against all obvious reason are cycling shoes generally narrow fitting?

tthew

Strange, I find it the other way round, my Diadora’s are pretty much as tight as I can adjust them and then they’re still a bit looser than I’d like, unless wearing thick socks. Last pair were the same.

Possibly that’s your answer then – Diadora!

Frankers
    Free Member

I agree that they all seem quite narrow… Northwave, Specialized, SIDI, Shimano

I always buy Shimano wide-fit now

Onzadog
    Free Member

Widest I could find were Giro HV (high volume).

My Altberg boots are XW. I do struggle with footwear.

righog
    Free Member

I always buy Shimano wide-fit now

Very interested, were you are getting them from, It’s a problem for me. but a massive problem for a friend of mine.

frazchops
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

1.2? I don’t get it.

velomanic
    Free Member

Shimano offer a wide-fit across most of their shoe range. They have the same part number (which is different to the model number) as the standard shoe but with a ‘E’ on the end. Your LBS should be able to order them for you.

righog
    Free Member

Cheers Velo I will check it out 😀

slofox
    Free Member

I will keep looking and trying, but for me some are wider at the ball of the foot but then reduce to a rounded point, whereas my feet are more square and I need width and a broader toe box. The Keens do that but could be wider and the top Velcro strap only just catches as my instep is so high. An instance of that problem is that I can’t get into Northwaves to try them as the neoprene collar is too tight! Thanks for all the suggestions but no one has explained why they can’t have broader fittings more normally now we use clip less and might have to walk if porting the bike occasionally.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I have wide feet, size 10, and Shimano’s seem to be a pretty good fit for me. I have the same problem with running shoes, Adidas are a no no.

ventana_craig
    Free Member

I have the same problem with wide square feet. I have always bought a size too big and put up with the poor fit, that’s until I tried diadora cycling shoes in wide fit. If I’m being honest they aren’t as well made as I would like. I’ve had to glue the sole back down a few times, but fit wise I don’t get any pinching any more.

clubber
    Free Member

The answer is apparently that Italian lasts (the basis for the shoe shape) were most commonly used as many cycling shoes were made there and in general, the European countries where cycling is popular tend to have people with narrow feet relative to Anglo saxons, etc.

This is changing with the growing popularity of cycling, particularly in the US.

I’ve found Shimano good Fwiw. My bont road shoes are great though.

MSP

Bont and Lake are best for normal non pointy feet, lake are pretty much the widest standard fitting available, and also do a wide fit on top of that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Why are cycling shoes nearly always narrow fitting?’ is closed to new replies.