Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Why are clever people mocked ?
  • takisawa2

That Prof' Brian Cox is on the TV at the moment.
    And as usual the general sequence of events is to take the piss when he tries to explain something.
    So why do we mock clever folk ?

(Needless to say I never get mocked). 🙂

ton

cos most of the time they are coCk5

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why should they not be ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

cos most of the time they are coCk5

Spoken like a true idiot….. 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Seeing an open door, Ton walked straight in, no knowing that this was in fact a trap…)

PJ266
    Free Member

No one mocks me, and Ive won the last three games of trivial pursuit. I think that qualifies me as clever 8)

ton

iahave done 2 bottles of rose, 3 mojitos and a few pints of landlord…………….sorry, i apologise.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Stupid people get mocked too – it's an equal opportunities thing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What you mean like this ?

takisawa2

ton…I'd be unable to type if I had consumed that lot. 😉

epicyclo

Stupid people don't realise they are being mocked.

Oh, shit, I haven't noticed any mocking lately…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Has Prof. Stephen Hawking got a Rasta-syle cushion?

Kevevs
    Free Member

define "clefer". cos for wun, I'd like two know.

seriously. What's "clever"? and why should "clever" people feel terribly …OH I DON'T KNOW! carry on..

RustySpanner

There are far more jokes about stupid people then clever ones.

I'd suggest that the clever ones get burned at the stake/murdered by a pitchfork wielding hoard of villagers much more often than the stupid ones though.

RustySpanner

Rose & Mojitos?

Down south for the weekend?

Kevevs
    Free Member

ernie that's a lovely photo

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I laugh at Brian Cox trying to explain it all to you lot. 8)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I din't know he was also a scientist! Top man…

Spongebob
    Free Member

Clever people get mocked by stupid who people can feel insecure/threatened/undermined in their company.

Uber-intelligent people often lack common social skills as they just can't be arsed with small talk, or flattering people. They have much more interesting things on their minds, so people can find them cold and detached.

j_me
    Free Member

They dont get mocked…..they just dont have a sense of humour.

Is Brian Cox clever? I thought he was in a boy band ????

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Uber-intelligent people often lack common social skills

In my experience they also often lack common sence. I have two climber friends who I dispair of. knots, roping techniques, sorting their sh1t out, forget it, hopeless ****ts, but uber-intelligent and very high income earners. Hopeless idiots when it comes to basic climbing with ropes and they have years of experience, but counts for nothing when you get them out there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Uber-intelligent people often lack common social skills

But often not a sense of humour

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Einstein

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

In my experience they also often lack common sence

in my experience sense isn't common…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Chook-booroo!

juiced
    Free Member

simon that is very a interesting statement. Granted common sense can be useful. But intelligence often goes beyond common sense and is mocked by others, who simple rely on their instincts rather than intelligence.imho of course.Nouse however i think beats common sense as relates more to a certain situation and is not as 'general' as common sense.I may however be wrong 🙄

naokfreek
    Free Member

Lots of us are idiots, some of us are not, both will apply at one time or another.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Granted common sense can be useful. But intelligence often goes beyond common sense and is mocked by others

the situation is far more complex. As far as I can make out, intelligence is a measure of speed of thought, but somehow this also seems to be related to depth and complexity of thought too, however there are other abilities which can be unrelated to intelligence like coordination, skill, empathy and so forth, and most of us have different levels of each, reflected in our personalities and relationships.

Kevevs
    Free Member

interersting bloke emplpoyed by the beeb to make science explosion?

duntmatter
    Free Member

That sounds very intelligent, simonfbarnes.

BURN HIM!

Kevevs
    Free Member

look, sfb, despite your factual, quantative, lovely personality…. I still love you : do you have crisps?

juiced
    Free Member

to answer the OP question I think it is because many people ( possibly a majority) like to find union through exposing the differences of others, such as people who are different. Seems to be a human nature thing for some types of people. Take eminem the (white rapper). When he first hit the scene I witnessed people mock him because he was white and did not fit their comfort zoned rapper image.They 'united' in this and joined forces dismissing others views of the young rapper. However today no ones gives a second thought to the arguement in general. Eminem is just accepted. This example can be illustrated in other examples in life.

duntmatter
    Free Member

BURN HIM TOO!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

do you have crisps?

no, but I have nachos 🙂

naokfreek
    Free Member

Well according to the internet, everyone occupying this space is rabid, so i'd forget the snacks.

I have some old ball bearings in used olive oil….

kennyp
    Free Member

That sounds very intelligent, simonfbarnes.

BURN HIM!

No, mock him, thereby justifying the original poster's question. Or something like that.

tron
    Free Member

I've no objection to the chap on the basis of his cleverness or not.

What I object to is him being on the TV, looking like one of the Riddlers.

allthepies
    Free Member

ton – how's the head this morning.

Fancy a nice greasy fry up ? 😆

tron
    Free Member

I'm going to have to change my name at this rate. 😆

Already had bacon & eggs, but I'm not the man you're looking for…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My theory is that many people have the impression that if you don't know something, it means you are stupid. So having someone explain something makes them feel stupid. The social defence is to point-up that the uncommonly knowledgeable person is not normal – a geek.

But geeks know that the more you learn, the more you realise you don't know much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Why are clever people mocked ?’ is closed to new replies.