Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Why are churches on top of hills traditionally called St Peter's?
  • nedrapier

I don't even know that they are.

Someone at work has asked, and 5 minutes on google hasn't left us any the wiser.

Anyone?

Ta.

Militant_biker

I guess it's something to do with being built on a rock? Peter = Rock in Hebrew or something like that…

MrNutt
    Free Member

wasn't Peter the closest to Jesus?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Coincidence ??
    Lots of churches built on hilltops, lost of churches called St P's…..

nedrapier

Cheers Mb, that was my guess, too.

It was countered with "hills in England aren't that rocky" In the absence of any other explanations, I shall tell them to swivel.

nedrapier

sorry hd and MrN, hadn't seen your replies when I posted. Still think the rock explanation makes the most sense, though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Pierre is a masculine given name. It is a French form of the name Peter[1] (it can also be a surname and a place name). Pierre originally means "rock" or "stone" in French (derived from the Greek word "petros" meaning "stone, rock", via Latin "petra").

langy
    Free Member

seem to vaguely remember a kids nursery rhyme about this too… mentions a few different church names; st pauls, st peters, etc

nickc

There's a St Peter's in Brackley at the bottom of a hill, and talking to my Catholic Irish friend in the office in her opinion, "Yer talking bollocks there, son"

john_drummer
    Free Member

The church at the top of the hill near where I grew up is a St Michael's. And no, I do not mean M&S

hels
    Free Member

Because he could see Jesus' house from up there ?

votchy
    Free Member

The St. Peter's (CoE) nearest my house is at the top of a hill, the St. Peter's (RC) next to my son's primary school is at the bottom of a hill 😯

VanHalen

st peters in brighton is in a valley.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Who gives a Toss!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Why are churches on top of hills traditionally called St Peter's?’ is closed to new replies.