Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Why are Canyon bikes so cheap and who is being exploited…
  • jimjam
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

Go on then, point out any rose, or canyon frame with common frame tubes/parts to a bike from another company?

I think you’ve missed my point, but that’s okay. Perhaps I didn’t explain it well enough.

chestrockwell

Canyon bikes look like Canyon bikes,

If you took the stickers off they look like any number of modern bikes imo. I’m not saying they are the same though.

both have quite distinctive silouettes.

Again, the silhouettes are that of most others. Check out the bike lists at the back of WMB. There’s 3 or 4 basic silhouettes that 95% of modern FS fit in to.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I bought a brand new Santa Cruz Blur 4X frame for £600 from CycleSurgery.

So what’s your point caller.

er, I was agreeing with you that Oranges are clearly overpriced in the UK, their home market, but feel free to misinterpret it 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Oops – I still want to FIGHT! :mrgreen:

renton
    Free Member

Have any of you seen the new for 2015 rose bikes…

The granite chief and root Miller look to be very nice bikes.

deviant
    Free Member

Big fan of the old school round tubes Rose use, I’d love one and at their prices may well treat myself next year!

gemini29
    Free Member
    Speeder

I think the bigger issue , for me anyway, is big brands charging what is effectively full a price which would be not far off the equivalent of buying a frame and all the components to build it all at full retail. On top of which they often throw in a few own brand bobbins bits or OEM spec guff and not seemingly think twice about it. (Most of why I’d struggle to buy a Specialized)

chestrockwell

big brands charging what is effectively full a price which would be not far off the equivalent of buying a frame and all the components to build it all at full retail.

I’d like to see this often stated ‘fact’ proven.

Oranges are clearly overpriced in the UK,

The frames are a similar cost to others produced in the Far East. How are they overpriced?

hora
    Free Member

I’m glad of all these competitively priced bikes. Still upto3k is a lot of money for a bicycle.

Shops that don’t think this and then bleat need to stop treating people as debt machines. After all how many cycling enthusiasts have three grand in cash to spend?

chestrockwell

After all how many cycling enthusiasts have three grand in cash to spend?

Loads according to a trail center carpark on a weekend.

hora
    Free Member

That’s buying on credit. Not spunking cash.

scotroutes

They’re still spending £3k. You either take a while to save it up or you buy, then pay it back.

hora
    Free Member

If there was no cheap credit would RRPs fall due to demand?

scotroutes

I do wonder. Maybe some manufacturers just couldn’t cut costs much more, or we’d just see lower specced models (e.g. SLX would be top end). The rate of change might decrease as there would be a benefit on longer production runs and getting rid of that “end of year” period where discounts have to be offered to move stock on before the new stuff arrives.

singlespeedstu

That’s buying on credit. Not spunking cash.

You sure about that?

Most of my mates with expensive bikes pay cash for them.

hora
    Free Member

You ride with affluent cash rich friends.

scotroutes

Or with folk who are prepared to save for what they want? It’s the same amount of money either way – it’s just different amounts of patience. 😆

hora
    Free Member

OK. You save up to 100 a month for three years. Right you are then. A bow to you.

I prefer cash in bank/for house/other/peace of mind. Most people make the plunge as its 0%.

I guess if your job is often paid in cash its probably better the cash doesn’t see a bank for traceability treasons.

Plumbers
    Builders
    Etc

scotroutes

IME – “most” people don’t “make the plunge”. Most bikes I’ve sold have been paid with debit card, credit card or on C2W. Of course, the latter two are still credit – of a sort – but 3rd party finance doesn’t seem to be a major thing. And it’s nothing to do with being paid “in cash” as very, very few folk rock up with £3k in notes.

singlespeedstu

You ride with affluent cash rich friends.

Not really.
    just normal run of the mill guys.

Our LBS owner does like a good cash deal though. 8)

hora
    Free Member

I want a run of the mill job.

ononeorange

Has anyone on here actually ridden one of the rose bikes mentioned above? What do they ride like?

singlespeedstu

I want a run of the mill job.

That might involve you having to actually do a little bit of work…

kirby700
    Free Member

Ive been looking at the Rose granite chief for about 6 months. Still undecided….. I read a recent review some where and they loved it.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Really fancied a granite chief but there was no option in the build thing for 1×11, so I ordered a canyon. However this will be May delivery – and a good chance that will be pushed back like most people’s. If it does then I’ll be looking at an aeris

kirby700
    Free Member

I like the idea of 1×11 but find the replacement costs frightening. £135 at least for a cassette. Far too much for me.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Why are Canyon bikes so cheap and who is being exploited…’ is closed to new replies.