Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Why are baggy cycle shorts so expensive?
  • BigEls
    Free Member

4 way stretch fabric.Pockets. Why so expensive?

The Endura water proof ones look well thought out.

Am I missing something – Couldn’t you just wear surf board shorts as they dry quickly?

Any recommendations which are bright and not branded as don’t want to be a walking advert with Troy Lee or Fox plastered on them.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

fashion statement, industry money maker, gave up wearing them years ago. Hot in summer and retain water in winter and catch on the seat.

whitestone
    Free Member

The only time I wear baggies is if it’s raining and I’ve a pair that are just over knee length so are decent protection. Other than that, as PB says: fashion statement that’s too hot in summer and they catch on the seat.

I’ve a figure like Adonis though so lycra looks good on me 😆

nedrapier

I wore boardshorts for ages, still do sometimes. seat can wear a little quicker, but it was the stitching that gave way on my enduras – which were thick, stiff and heavy and pulled on the thighs when pedalling.

Current favourite is a pair of Oakley shorts I picked up in TK Max for £18. Soft, thin fabric, dries very quickly, that’s wearing much better than expected.
    Only logo is black embroidered, on black fabric. Otherwise a normal pair of casual shorts. Don’t look silly off the bike, like a junior stormtrooper. One of those purchases where I wish I’d bought more of at the time.

Edit: further to the above, I just went looking for a pair online. They might even be golf shorts! 😆

TheBrick
    Free Member

Just ware normal shorts. They don’t need to be brand as my cycling baggies. If you’re not in need of Lycra (which you are not if wearing g baggies) the loss of having no nappy padding is inconsequential

They are a rip off I agree.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Why so expensive

Because people will pay those prices. Sometime they even think they must be getting a better product because it’s more expensive. There are very few things where the price relates to what they cost to make, it’s what they can sell for.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Most MTB stuff is expensive for what it is. About 10 years ago I got some baggies from Decathlon, they are still ok, and much comfier, and cheaper than the Gore ones that I also have.

Is this the new look then?

nedrapier

sometimes you need(want) decent padding and baggies. Much better to buy them separately, though, IMO.

Decent lycra/liner with a pad that suits your sit bones and bits, and baggies with the right style, fit, pockets and fabric. Chances of finding them both in a combined baggies/liner arrangement is slim to none.

And I’ve never understood why liners need to clip into shorts. I never have a problem with pants and normal trousers and shorts. Adds faff, and adds discomfort when you’re not wearing the liner (which is usually rubbish). Pretty sure it’s just to keep them together in the shop.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madison shorts generally cost me 40 to 50 quid, and take some abuse. Good pockets, quality zips and also if the stitching goes, they give me a brand new pair for free.

Comfy, waterproof, well fitting (this is subjective obviously)and they last generally about 3 years of constant Ayrshire mud.

I consider them one of the better priced pieces of MTB kit, considering.

bomberman
    Free Member

Endura singletrack and some cheap knee warmers – sorted!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

add three magic letters and triple your margins

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

TBH.. £39 for a pair of Endura Singletracks and 2 years and thousands of miles of happy cycling later, and they’re still going absolutely strong. £39 is not that much to pay for hundreds of rides, really.

Sure, you could probably achieve a similar experience with a pair(s) of £5 ‘shorts’, but they wouldn’t have the same levels of cycling-oriented fit, ruggedness, or cool features, such as the rearward-facing side pockets that are excellent for putting maps, phones and fig rolls in.

YMMV, of course.. 😉

maccruiskeen

I’ve a figure like Adonis though

Pah! I’ve got a figure like two donises. 🙂

The best best non-lycra shorts I’ve had were the old Surface Liquistretch – which were basically a pair of plain casual shorts made out of the same fabric as a rash vest. More MTB specific shorts would add harder wearing fabric in key points, tailor them is such a way that you don’t have seams where you don’t want them on a bike, tailor pockets so that your stuff doesn’t fall out of them and so on.

That adds a bit of cost in manufacture but it also cuts down the market pretty significantly. Anyone can buy and use board shorts whether the surf or not, but dedicated MTB shorts aren’t so nice to wear off the bike and aren’t likely to be bought by non cyclists – so increased price is as much a result of smaller sales numbers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

add three magic letters and triple your margins

You’ll find such instances in all sports, it’s a bit naive to think it’s only MTB that applies to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most of mine last 5+ years so the cost seems insignificant, of anything the Endura seem to be the worst I’ve had. Currently on some North Face and still some 10year old Sombreo’s looking at the morvelo at the moment as they look great. Just need to sort out sizing.
    Biggest difference in normal shorts to bikes ones is the location of the seams. Makes a big differnce

chakaping
    Free Member

They’re only expensive if you pay the silly RRP, eh?

Usually fork out £25-£35 for top-end shorts in the sales.

kayak23

After seeing a group of elderly roadies Sunday in a cafe all in Lycra, I’m thinking perhaps looser-fitting overshorts should be a legal requirement in public
    😯

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve decided madison zenith are my go to shorts.

Appear to last well, pocket positions are well thought out, an ok price and fit my large thighs.

medoramas
    Free Member

After seeing a group of elderly roadies Sunday in a cafe all in Lycra, I’m thinking perhaps looser-fitting overshorts should be a legal requirement in public

I can’t agree more with this!!!

And I do as chakaping said – wait for a PSA here and buy some quality shorts for £25!

matt_outandabout

Our kids wear Addidas shorts or 3/4’s over lycra. Wicking, 4 way stretch, zip pockets, good cut. £10-20 from all good sports stores.

I wear Montane and Merrel shorts over lycra, and an ancient set of Sombrio shorts that are simple mesh lined thigh long with two pockets shorts. All great quality.

My Endura shorts are overly complex, poorly constructed and hold damp.
    My Altura shorts are too short, poorly made and from a cheap fabric.
    My sons Altura’s are too baggy, poorly made and from a cheap fabric.
    Mrs_OAB has some Scott 3/4’s that are well made, from great fabric, but odd in shape (no thigh space)

Yak

That’s going to be me when I’m a pensioner, and I won’t care who sees either. 😀

jameso

FWE Ridgeways

I work for Evans so not entirely impartial but I wouldn’t do 10 day tours in these shorts w/o cycle shorts underneath if they weren’t well fitted and good quality*. A few 1000 miles in them and no signs of real wear. Comfy.

*Fit may or may not suit you etc but for VFM it’s hard to argue. I rate them anyway. Edit to add, I ride them in crp weather and for long days and still prefer them over lycra.

ads678

You think baggies are exspensive!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-tcampionissimo-s7-bib-shorts/

😯

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t get the need for pockets – I carry stuff in a Camelbak or jersey pockets.

I just need some venting and a tougher waterproof bit on the seat. Any other features are lost on me and my wallet.

maccruiskeen

You think baggies are exspensive!!

I feel like I should be paying for a premium rate phone number for this kind of talk

You may feel like they will never fit you, but keep going. Place them properly on your legs and buttocks. Now bend over and pull the Y frame carrier (the bibs) over your shoulders. Now stand up. Close your eyes and feel them. Feel how they grab your body without hurting you. Next, get on the bike. It will feel like there’s an invisible hand gently pushing you forward. This is the special feeling of T.campionissimo, featuring the specially developed ASSOS-specific textile, Type A.444 ergoKompressor – it’s phenomenal!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-mtb-rider-baggy-shorts-62177.html aren’t bad for <£30, recently bought a pair of the very bright blue to replace an ageing pair of Endura 3/4 Humvees.

Think the Humvees cost me <£40 in 2006, RRP is getting on for £60 these days and there seems to be a lot of reports of them not being great quality (my ones have been worn loads, often my go-to casual trousers unless it is the middle of winter)! 😯

superstu
    Free Member

Aldi ones cost me about a tenner. And are excellent IMHO

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m still wearing my spesh baggy shorts and inners I must have bought 9 years ago…and they are still in goodish nick. Says a lot about the quality.

chiefgrooveguru

Good baggies are way more weatherproof than lycra, far less unpleasant to crash in and last ages. I’ve been wearing the same two pairs of Endura Singletracks for about 5 years!

Northwind

There’s plenty of inexpensive baggies tbh. My most worn shorts are some Altura Mayhems, they cost me £20 a pair (except the pair I got free from MBR). Longlived, comfy, all that good stuff.

But waterproof is more expensive than cheap boardies etc, for obvious reasons, the fabric and construction is different and they’re more niche. And totally worth it IMO.

eskay

I have worn all sorts over the years and the most comfortable by far are the mountain warehouse shorts .

I never would have bought them but my wife gave me some one birthday and they are great (cheap as well!).

Not for the brand fan boys!

jameso

I don’t get the need for pockets – I carry stuff in a Camelbak or jersey pockets.

For me, for cash while in a bar/cafe or stuff while faffing with bike or anything else – for off-bike normality, or because cba with backpacks much and often wear tops w/o rear pockets. I have some Giro shorts w/o proper pockets and hardly use them for that reason now. I did question the inclusion of pockets on the FWE shorts at first. At the weekend I found the rear pocket great for holding a phone in a place where I could get it out and take pics easily while riding when I wanted. I could do without one pair of them, but having 1 or 2 is good.

chakaping
    Free Member

The ONE TIME that i put my phone in my backpack, I managed to clip my pedal on a rock and go OTB – with my bike following and landing on top of me.

It smashed my mobile screen – as well as writing off a shock pump and mini-pump by bending the shafts).

Back to hip pocket for me.

ton

i use endura zymes in plain grey. £30 5 years ago. expensive…..you decide.

DezB
    Free Member

Question should not be why are baggies so expensive, but why do people pay silly mony for baggy shorts?! Don’t think I’ve ever paid RRP on a pair of shorts, most expensive around £50.
    But, jeez, what sort of mug would you have to be to click “BUY!” on something like this:
    https://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/sweet-protection-mudride-short-scorch-red/13686

“Oh, but they’re really nice quality an that..” Pillock!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

£129.99 😯
    Good heavens.

nickc

“Oh, but they’re really nice quality an that..” Pillock!

What an odd thing to say, what d’you care what someone pays for their shorts 😕

km79
    Free Member

I’d rather be ripped off and wearing a pair of over priced baggies than be seen in anything lycra. In fact I’d rather give up mountain biking altogether than wear lycra.

Lycra is wrong. Just wrong. It’s 2016 FFS, why hasn’t this shit been banned yet?

DezB
    Free Member

What an odd thing to say,

Did you notice what the thread is about? Well, that’s my take on it.
    Your only opinion is what I say is strange? Start a thread about that then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Why are baggy cycle shorts so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.