• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why are all the schools closed when the roads are clear?
  • jekkyl

Headteacher on phone to Assnt Head 7am.
    Yeah Hi Susan, yeah had a great weekend thanks, yeah I can’t be ar#ed to go into work either,
    …..oh not much about 1 or 2cms, all the roads are open by the looks of it.
    what are we going to do, looks like we’ll have to open,
    I know lets blame Jennifer, she lives in a vaguely rural location so she might have trouble getting into school in her 4X4.
    Yes but what about all the parents and business we’ll inconvenience by closing? oh to hell with them, we only get 6 weeks off at summer, a week every half term and two weeks at christmas what’s another day. Yeah it’s an easy life as a teacher int it, I’m so glad I didn’t get a proper job where people have to work when it snows.
    Have to go Susan my guardian’s just been delivered, have a nice day off. Byeeee

Jamie
    Free Member
    alfabus
    Free Member

0/10

yunki
    Free Member

our school always used to get shut down because of the antiquated heating and water systems failing below a certain temp.. burst pipes and freezing classrooms..

jekkyl

woops, i did look down the first page to see if there was any similar threads, must have missed that one. You can’t delete threads can you?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I was last reported.

wwaswas

*Reports Jamie*

franksinatra

or you could edit the post to make yourself look slightly less silly

jekkyl

Cheek, I spent 3 minutes working on that. I think it communicates what I wanted to express.

headfirst
    Free Member

Jekkyl. A wild stab in the dark, but are your kids getting on your nerves already? Been out in the snow already and now
    you’ve run out of ideas?

jekkyl

nope, i have one little girl who is nearly 2, her nursery is open today, I am at work :o( Just having a rant at those who get paid from the public purse & a free day off without any comeback. Is anyone taking these headteachers to task?

franksinatra

Jekkyl, not sure what your work is but I wonder what responsibility you have there? I doubt it covers the wellbeing of a few hundred children and perhaps 30 employees.

I honestly believe that in most cases these decisions are taken with the best interests of everyone at heart. Of course mistakes are made and sometimes they close too early or late but I really think you are being a little harsh.

jekkyl

well it does read a little harsh perhaps, was trying to amuse at the same time so I wasn’t totally serious BUT the road are all open and the schools have heating….

Trekster

Will the roads still be open at school closing time?
    Are all the roads open?
    Can all staff get there?
    If the school gets snowed in is there an emergency plan?
    How would you feel if your child gets snowed in at nursery/school.

I was in the car and listening to Jeremy Vine on the radio discussing this very subject. Interestingly he cut short the guy who did not agree with him trying to whip up a bit of hysteria around this subject. Had to turn him off 🙄
    I feel a lot of head teachers are not really explaining themselves properly as to their reasoning.
    My daughter is a teacher, has no car and chooses to either walk or use public transport when required. She has slipped and fallen numerous times both on her way to, from and at school on icy surfaces.
    She has also gets regular threats of violence from some of the parents at the school. Bit of a tough area 🙄

rkk01
    Free Member

We live in the S Wales valleys – still a fair bit of snow around, but most main roads and schools open today.

You might have seen – this was for a school that WAS open…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21121284

onehundredthidiot

Yeah lets shout at the skiving workshy wasters that contribute nothing and take from the public purse.

Signed Chemistry teacher that drove 50 miles to work and was sent home just so he could get home today, who is a net contributor both to the pensions pot and the tax system without taking a penny from the public purse.

MoreCashThanDash

I am not surprised that our kids school is closed today due to the bad weather – some of the staff have to travel, their kids schools may be closed, the head has to make a tough decision very early in the day etc.

I don’t even mind having cycled 12 miles through the snow to my office only to get the text from school and have to turn round and come back again. Before breakfast!

I’m just a bit surprised that given that the head lives in the road opposite me, my lad’s teacher lives 10 doors down from me, at least half the staff live in the village, yet none of them are actually on the premises making any effort with the shovels or the fancy gritter barrow to ensure that the school is in a position to reopen tomorrow when conditions are expected to have improved. It’s completely padlocked shut.

But the village Pre-school was open as normal, and they looked very sweet trying to build snowmen in the playground.

Spud

Very pleased that our school was open as normal today, despite the vast majority around closing. Ours in accessible up two steep hills or down a third. Enabled me to get a days work in rather than looking after them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why are all the schools closed when the roads are clear?’ is closed to new replies.