Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Why am I not losing Weight?
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I want to get my weight down to 76kg but I’m having problems shifting any fat. I wouldn’t say i’m fat but i’m uncomfortable with my weight compared to my height. I’m 5’9″ and 83.2kg.
    At the moment I’m riding around 150 miles a week which constist of 1 base training ride (65-75% MRH), 1 easyish paced ride and and hard hilly ride. At the end of the first week I lost 0.5kg but since then it’s been zero.
    I eat a reasonably healthy diet and over the last few weeks I have almost completely cut out sugar. I’ll eat small portions of carbs maybe 2-3 times a week and eat loads of fruit, vegetables, pulses and lentils (wife is vegie so i’ve adopted to suit her diet).
    So can you tell me what i’m doing wrong as it’s really doing my head in? 😡

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ll eat loads of fruit, vegetables, pulses and lentils

bullheart
    Free Member

You’re losing fat and gaining muscle.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

Job done.

soobalias
    Free Member

variable gravity?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d work out what calories you’re putting in, the rides you’re doing probably aren’t the best way to shift weight either, what’s the break down in mileage between the 3? The base & easy pace ride seem about the same to me and if they’re the vast majority of your mileage then they’re probably mostly junk and you’re better off changing them to shorter higher intensity rides (you don’t need an easy pace ride if only riding 3x per week).

IanMunro
    Free Member
    Tango-Man
    Free Member

Muscle weighs more than fat.

How does 1lb of muscle weigh more than 1lb of fat, I’m intrigued!

Also, bin the diet for a day or two, fool the body into thinking it has lots of calories to play with, this in turn will speed up the metabolism a little, then back to being strict and some fat may come off, sticking to a rigid calorie controlled diet is not always the answer as the body adapts and learns to live with the restrictions. So, remove the restrictions for a day or so then put them back in place

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

HIIT HTH

miketually
    Free Member

I’ll eat loads of fruit, vegetables, pulses and lentils

Eat slightly less than loads of these things.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its as simple as calories in / calories out. to loose weight you need to eat less and move more

Stuey01
    Free Member

Chances are you are eating too much.

Try a food diary (be honest, you’d be amazed how many people lie to themselves). You might be surprised by the amount of calories you are taking in.

pulses and lentils = high in calories. Yes, they may considered be “healthy”, but how much are you eating?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Its as simple as calories in / calories out. to loose weight you need to eat less and move more

What he said.

And… unless you specifically want to lose weight, rather than fat, some body fat callipers or just a waist measurement is actually more useful than scales.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

go get a copy of matt fitzgerald’s ‘racing weight’ from amazon. not saying it will give you the definitive answer but its a very interesting read that may, well it has for me, given me some directions to look at.

personally i find that if i eat a lot of fruit i keep weight on… even though apples are supposed to be negative calories.

iDave
    Free Member

no it’s not

anyways, ride harder but for less time

stop eating white carbs

ZZZZzzzzzzz

personally i find that if i eat a lot of fruit i keep weight on

yeah and no fruit, it causes an unhelpful insulin response.

Jamie
    Free Member

Strange how these diet/fatty boom boom threads seem to all come at once.

Like a perfect storm.

iDave
    Free Member

time of the month, innit

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t fall asleep iDave! Not when I’m willing to let you borrow this…

bazzer
    Free Member

yeah and no fruit, it causes an unhelpful insulin response.

How so as most fruit has a low GI ?

Jamie
    Free Member

time of the month, innit

Really? I thought by Feb everyone had junked their resolutions and were back to supporting the British cake industry.

I know I am.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Try eating nothing but seasonal fruit and veg – but only those that are not currently in season.

DrJ

How does 1lb of muscle weigh more than 1lb of fat, I’m intrigued!

He didn’t say that !! 🙂 He said muscle weighs more than fat, i.e. a given volume of muscle is heavier than the same volume of fat.

iDave
    Free Member

fructose is converted into glycerol phosphate rather easily which has implications for fat storage

iDave
    Free Member

hmmm, guinness cake on sunday…..

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

what’s the break down in mileage between the 3?

I do *30 – 40ish miles of medium intensity on a Tueday night, an easy paced 40-50 miles (65 – 75% MHR) on Saturday and anything from *50 – 75 miles of higher intensity on Sundays.
    * Club Rides.

Also looking at local spinning classes.

eat loads of fruit, vegetables, pulses and lentils

I eat these as part of a balanced meal and not at the same time and I’m reduceing portion sizes.

When I eat pasta/ rice is is always whole wheat.

What made me ask this question was because I’ve calculated what my calorie intake will be today and its only 1600 cals.

Can someone link idaves diet plans as I tried to find it before posting this thread.

bazzer
    Free Member

fructose is converted into glycerol phosphate rather easily which has implications for fat storage

That is interesting so are they only low GI because of the relative low calorie density ?

I am actually interested in this as my snack food is currently a bag fo Clementines 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – it is the realisation that your NY resolutions have prooved fruitless, or not as the case may be, that drive you back to your old ways.

These threads show the mental process that justifies giving up…

5thElefant
    Free Member

What made me ask this question was because I’ve calculated what my calorie intake will be today and its only 1600 cals.

Are you sure? I’d need to add 1600 cals a day to cope with your workload (literally, I just checked the cycling burn rates).

Jamie
    Free Member

These threads show the mental process that justifies giving up…

I like this new TSY. Dunno what happened, but he seems to have more substance about him.

Must be iDaves diet and pumping them guns 8)

iDave
    Free Member

just wait until he’s an EPO’d honey badger

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Wasn’t aware I was any different though Jamie.

*goes off to worry about myself*

Jamie
    Free Member

just wait until he’s an EPO’d honey badger

I will be locking the doors and nailing the windows shut in preparation.

FuzzyWuzzy

I do *30 – 40ish miles of medium intensity on a Tueday night, an easy paced 40-50 miles (65 – 75% MHR) on Saturday and anything from *50 – 75 miles of higher intensity on Sundays.
    * Club Rides.

Also looking at local spinning classes
    I’d say ditch the Saturday ride unless it’s a social one you want to keep and try and fit in a couple of 20-25 mile rides during the week at a high intensity, both for training effect and to get your metabolism working more during the week.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Why am I not losing Weight?’ is closed to new replies.