• This topic has 52 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Why all the trail condition posts.
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I dont get it – there is snow everywhere – if your intending to ride on a hill then yes there is likely to be snow.
    If you can ride on snow without soiling yourself then ‘yes’ its rideable.

…and much more fun than it will be when it all melts into a swamp so get out there!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

But there isn’t snow everywhere, and riding through half a metre of thawing slush isn’t possible.

Thats why people ask.

grum
    Free Member

Not sure if you’re trolling here but a bit of snow is one thing. Pushing your bike through 5ft drifts for hours on end to get to a descent covered in ice is another.

Jeffus
    Free Member

30 foot drifts on my local trails around the forest so not much fun on the bike 😀

ahsat

With grum

ndthornton
    Free Member

Im not sure what trolling is but il try anything once.
    Descents covered in ice sound like fun – going to the lakes after work – Il see if i can find some!

Scapegoat

I’d find out which ones are worth riding before you set off. A post on here should do it.

grum
    Free Member

:swoon:

I’m not too bad at riding techy stuff in the Lakes but I’d still rather not ride down a steep river of ice personally. Or trudge through deep snowdrifts.

I presume you’ll be going up Helvellyn or Skiddaw on your bike and not sticking to lower level routes then? Otherwise you’d be adapting to conditions and that’s for wimps.

I saw in another thread you’ve never been to the Lakes biking before. Fancy riding this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Descents covered in ice sound like fun – going to the lakes after work – Il see if i can find some!

2 kinds of snow, the right and the wrong kind, generally when riding you find the wrong kind.

Descended Latrigg into Keswick with a set of Wet Screams on at night was awesome, did it a few days later in minions after all the walkers had trudged the snow into ice and it was lethal. Carried far to far through random drifts for it to be fun. Rode the groomed mega stuff and it was awesome.

That is why people are asking for reports.

ndthornton
    Free Member

OK – here’s a tip – Its possible to ride down most stuff in snow as long as its fairly steep – but not up – so for best results………

Find somewhere where you can ride up a road to the top and down reasonably steep, not too technical, well-trodden trails to the bottom.

Malvern Hills are superb for this – I went the other day and rode 95% of the way to the very top of the beacon (easily) – stick to the bridle ways coming down – they are like pisted ski runs after all the tourist footfall. Repeat the same climb – try different descents. It’s an absolute blast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK – here’s a tip – Its possible to ride down most stuff in snow as long as its fairly steep – but not up – so for best results………

Hmmm not always

Find somewhere where you can ride up a road to the top and down reasonably steep, not too technical, well-trodden trails to the bottom.

From what I hear many roads are shut

they are like pisted ski runs after all the tourist footfall.

Not far off sheet ice then

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If that is a recent photo Grum, why waste time on a bike? Climb the central gully between the two obvious buttresses – can’t remember the name but grade 1/2 depending on conditions. Perfectly solo-able and great finish (through the cornice?) to emerge in front of surprised walkers having the lunch at the top. Then ski down the more open East face using abseil if required of the trig point. The perfect Winter adventure. I have only done the first bit (!) but wished I had skies to do the second.

Very odd OP – conditions are very varied across the UK. Why not check on forum for people with the same interests?

grum
    Free Member

Here’s a tip. The hills in the Lakes are a bit bigger and more serious than the Malverns, especially in current conditions. How are your navigation skills btw?

Edit: yup, from yesterday THM, and I entirely agree. I’ve only done the first bit too.

ndthornton
    Free Member

GRUM

That photo looks great – thanks I cant wait – Reminds of Megavelanche.
    Il take some pics of the adventure and you can look at them while drinking your Horlix

🙂

grum
    Free Member

Lol, I’ve been up those hills in full winter condition, and done the Megavalanche thanks. You’re awfully cocky for someone who’s never even ridden in the Lakes before. Might be best to give mountain rescue some advanced notice. At least have a read of this.

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

Actually I think I’ll go back to my original assessment of troll.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what troll tyre for snow?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Im not going up that particular mountain you doylem. I spent most of this week researching good routes to try. Plottded routes – bought maps. I have been to the lakes many times just not on a bike.

Why am even bothering to tell you all this anyway – nuff talk – time to go riding.

crazy-legs

I dont get it – there is snow everywhere

There isn’t though, that’s the point. Near me there are plenty of roads and trails without any snow at all.
    There are other roads and trails that are completely impassable. Sometimes within half a mile of each other depending on where the snow has drifted.

Not unreasonable to ask on here what conditions are like before driving for 2hrs and finding that the route you had in mind is nothing more than a trudge through 4ft drifts or the road to get to the car park is sheet ice.

grum
    Free Member

Im not going up that particular mountain you doylem. I spent most of this week researching good routes to try.

Whyever not? What kind of research? Did it include research about conditions? 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I spent most of this week researching good routes to try. Plottded routes – bought maps. I have been to the lakes many times just not on a bike.

🙂 Good Luck

I assume your many visits have told you that the weather in those parts is very variable and the snow levels and falls are fairly unpredictable. Even to the point where the guy in the lakes I would call was posting for some more advice.
    Lived there off and on for 5 years – I’d be asking for advice for 1 valley over..

ndthornton
    Free Member

Cor I have lots of friends on this post dont I – lol
    The sense of adventure is awe inspiring 🙂
    Really in the spirit of the sport.

Id just like to point out I will be in England in April – Im not contemplating the North face of the Eiger in January.

So please worry yourselves not – there will be no need for mountain rescue – I would be too embarrassed to call them.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

can’t remember the name but grade 1/2 depending on conditions.

No1 Gully – I (the obvious biggish gully betwix the two buttress)
    No2 Gully – II (just right of No1)
    V Corner – III (just left of No1)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So please worry yourselves not – there will be no need for mountain rescue – I would be too embarrassed to call them.

Lol not worried but would suggest shelving pride if required. I have just had some epic walks with bikes due to condition so generally would rather avoid and do something more appropriate like a nice ridge or gully or avoid sitting in a long queue due to road closures.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I booked the campsite 2 months ago so no option but to make the best of it!

grum
    Free Member

Id just like to point out I will be in England in April – Im not contemplating the North face of the Eiger in January.

Lost of people perfectly capable of tackling the high Lake District fells in current conditions – it’s just from your posts on here you don’t sound like one of them. 😉

Ticklinjock

Snow! that was last week. This week its….

psling
    Free Member

ndthornton – Member
    I booked the campsite 2 months ago so no option but to make the best of it!

Have you checked that the campsite is open in the current conditions..?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you checked that the campsite is open in the current conditions..?

Of course it is he booked it 2 months ago.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think you should come out and play GRUMP. We can have a race to the top!

Goggles on, chocks away, last one back’s a loser. Hooray!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Plus, lots of people underestimate the Lakes in winter. I have brought several people off Striding Edge (in wellies?) in Winter and Swirral catches far too many – including a young lad this year already.

Thanks B A Nana – I thought it was simple 1 and 2 but couldn’t quite remember. Great easy climbs in fun locations with super finish by the shelter!! Last time I climbed G1 and came back down Striding Edge was when we met to guy in wellies on the little chimney (ish) at the end end of the edge. Nor rope required for the climb, but we needed it to get him off! The problem in the Lakes is that unlike Scotland too many think that the hills are too low and therefore conditions are really severe. Sadly the consequences of such underestimation can be fatal.

Anyway ndt, enjoy the ride and stay safe!

Drac

I dont get it – there is snow everywhere

Not here there’s not, there’s some a bit more in land but not the big drifts I’ve seen posted by people pushing their bikes through. As the forum members cover a huge geogprahpical area it’s a good place to ask at times where there’s been a bad spell of weather before heading somewhere.

Local news this am was pushing the Lakes was open but to avoud high ground unless you knew what you were doing and experienced. Go and enjoy but watch what you’re doing as some areas are bad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Damn Autocorrect. “Really severe” should have read rarely severe. Feb article in Westmoreland Gazettee about mountain rescue teams comments on how too may people are I’ll-equipped for current conditions.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

A tenner says he’s trolling, or dead by sunday.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I hope neither – just a possibly valid point poorly made?

ndthornton
    Free Member

uselesshippy

Il take that bet – what odds do I get??

And seriously – what is “trolling”?
    Is it like Dogging – if so im not interested with any of you lot!

torihada
    Free Member

ndthornton – Member

And seriously – what is “trolling”?

Assuming this isn’t a troll double-bluff question, trolling is where you post contentious/annoying/offensive questions/statements solely to wind people up and get a response/fuel an argument etc.

I rode on snow fields at Les Arcs (deep slushy snow, very steep descent) and though good for a laugh I wouldn’t push up to ride down it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s Easter, we want to ride.. Locals know their trails. What is so hard to understand?

nealglover
    Free Member

Id just like to point out I will be in England in April

You need to do a bit more research.

It’s March this weekend.

psling
    Free Member

Of course it is he booked it 2 months ago.

😆

Northwind

It’s almost like people want to know what the trails are like. Could be wrong, though.

Wee example- innerleithen is completely ****ed. Glentress has some ridable trails. If you’re going for a ride in the tweed valley, asking first is better than going to innerleithen, and discovering it’s ****ed.

Sometimes, when someone asks a question, it’s the answers that are informative. But sometimes, the question itself tells you more 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why all the trail condition posts.’ is closed to new replies.