Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Whwere can I get a 14" tube with a Presta valve – for an Islabike?
  • marvincooper

Having right trouble finding a tube for my sons bike. The Schwalbe SV2 is show as fitting a 14 or 16″ wheel but it is far too big. None of my local shops have a tube, they are all Schraeder. Anyone on here bought one anywhere?

PaulD
    Free Member

Drill the rim for the larger valve….done it on a few MTB rims very easily, deburred and all is fine.

PaulD

Dibbs
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

Shirley Isla

drofluf
    Free Member

I got one from my LBS.

FieldMarshall

I drilled out the rims on my nephews CNOC 14 and fitted shrader tubes plus slime.

Alternatively i may have the old presta tubes in my garage, drop me an email if interested.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why the hell anyone uses Presta valves in the first place is beyond me.

As Paul D says. Drill it out. Although I can’t imagine it’s not already the right size anyway on a kids bike…..

Edric64
    Free Member

Presta on every bike here .It comes from riding road bikes before mtbs in the 70s and not wanting to mess about changing pump ends all the time.Also BSOs always have schraeder so I cant use them.

FieldMarshall

Sorry just checked and the tubes i have are schrader.

StirlingCrispin

Too big?
    I’ve fitted the 14″/16″ SV2 from Isla Bikes to a Cnoc 14 easily enough.

Fawkes cycles also appear to stock them:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-SV2-inch-350A-Presta/dp/B004NOGPR6

marvincooper

Thanks all, I’ll try SJS then. Don’t really want to drill the rim, and I’d have to buy another tube anyway.

The SV2 is definitely too big, there’s a whole bunch of excess rubber that just creases up when I inflate the tube inside the tyre – there’s nowhere for the excess to go. Unless I am missing out on a trick, I can’t see how it could possibly fit.

drofluf
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Why the hell anyone uses Presta valves in the first place is beyond me.

As Paul D says. Drill it out. Although I can’t imagine it’s not already the right size anyway on a kids bike…..

What’s wrong with Presta? Work fine for me.

JoeG
    Free Member

You can use a larger size tube if you have to. How it is done.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Presta? Work fine for me.

Not much, but then there is nothing wrong with Schrader either. You have bigger issues if you need to run 100psi on a mountain bike.

If you can fit them drill them and never be stuck with the “I can only use a presta” problem. Nothing more dumb than trying to blag a tube on a trail and turning down the first 15….. (went home and sorted wheel after that)

marvincooper

You can use a larger size tube if you have to. How it is done.

That, is genius. And I’ve just wasted another fiver on another new tube!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not much, but then there is nothing wrong with Schrader either. You have bigger issues if you need to run 100psi on a mountain bike.

Ahh. That old chestnut.
    Tell me, what valve does an air fork or shock have on it, and what pressures do they go up to? 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

If you can fit them drill them and never be stuck with the “I can only use a presta” problem. Nothing more dumb than trying to blag a tube on a trail and turning down the first 15….. (went home and sorted wheel after that)

Presta for me. Never had to blag anything “on the trail”. I have ridden with people who don’t carry the right spares for their bike and even didn’t carry the right pump. Dumb’s the word.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Peter
    In the schrader camp here, the only reason people ever give is pressure. Same argument different reason…

Shifter
    Grabbed spare wheel (gf’s) and got flat. No repair kit and no presta tube, got home got out drill. Had mates on presta only rims having a bad day trying to fix tubes on a crappy day when we all had schraders

shifter
    Free Member

Fairy nuff but I honestly don’t have any mates who ride Schrader. The only bikes I’ve seen lately with Schraders are my 3 year old’s and the butcher’s bikes we use at work!

marvincooper

I just tried the method in that video, and it worked a treat. Anybody want a spare 14″ presta tube?! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Whwere can I get a 14" tube with a Presta valve – for an Islabike?’ is closed to new replies.