• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irc.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • WHW out to Balloch and back?
  • dancingfool
    Free Member

Hello. I’m plannning on a cycle from Glasgow to the WHW to Dtrmen, along a path I’ve seen but never riden to Balloch then from there I’m told there is another path that will take me back to Bowling. then from there back along the canal to Glasgow.

Has anyone done the Drymen to Balloch path? Trying to figure out how long it is and how hard it will be to find the next path to Bowling.

Any help or alternative ideas welcome.

hainman
    Free Member

Hi mate,Ive ridden the balloch to bowling loads of times,You get onto it at the Bridge in Balloch main st,near the big boat excursions,it goes a wee bit of coarse when you hit Dumbarton as you need to come through Dumbarton high street and over towards the train station,by the meadow centre and then up a couple of streets and then back onto the cycle path,

Never done the Ballach part though,

lizzz
    Free Member

Its dead easy… follow the whw, just a bit before Dryden you’ll be going downhill on a road and there’s a path that splits off on the left. Its signposted ‘ncn 7’. Follow the signs along to balloch 🙂
    At balloch, not sure how you get over onto the canal path… but it should be posted as ncn7 too and it goes all the way into Glasgow. Just keep following the signs through Dumbarton, you can’t go wrong!

The bit between Dryden and balloch is a bit lumpy if my memory is correct, with quite a lot on quiet road rather than paths\tracks.

downshep

Drymen to Balloch is almost all quiet roads until you get to Balloch Park. Once through, turn right, go over the bridge spanning the River Leven, then hard right again under the bridge and onto the river bank path down to Dumbarton. Care is needed following signs through Dumbarton, lots of short side streets until you pick up the path to Bowling.

irc

IMO a nicer route from the WHW to Balloch is to cut off at Killearn Crossroads. Take the B834 up the the T junction with the Stockiemuir Rd A809. Then straight over on to the track ahead. Follow the track over the shoulder of the hill, easy riding all the way (tourer is fine) and enjoy great views over Loch Lomond and the hills to the north.

Join an unclassified road at Glen Park Cottage and straight ahead to the A813. L to Jamestown Bridge and join the towpath on the River Leven heading for Dumbarton.

More direct than NCN7 and much better views.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘WHW out to Balloch and back?’ is closed to new replies.