Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Who's your cycling hero? And why?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

On a personal level – my brother. He has severe mental and physical disabilities, and has spent his life often in pain, but several years ago he learnt how to cycle on a specially adapted bike. He went on to compete in the Special Olympics as a cyclist, and won a gold medal in the time trial.

Of the more ‘famous’ cyclists – Beryl Burton: outstanding athlete, won numerous championships and held several world records.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Taff – Member

Bit of a cliche but Lance Armstrong. He’s quite an inspiration especially during tough times.

Reading Mark Cavendish’s and Rob Lee’s books at the moment, could be future potentials.

Who the fuuck is ‘Rob Lee’?

wrecker
    Free Member

Some bloke who used to work in cyclesurgery in bristol.

I’m gonna go with Shaun Palmer. Pure attitude.

sputnik
    Free Member

Road : Mark Cavendish
    Mtb : Danny MegaSkillz

shoefiti
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Some bloke who used to work in cyclesurgery in bristol.

Ha Ha, sounds like a real inspiration! I wonder if that balding fat guy from ‘bike’ near the triangle will be penning his memoirs any time soon?

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I know I may get slated for this given his past but I really admire David Millar. He is open about his past but is an intelligent guy and still a great rider.

My other heroes are the likes of Jo Burt, Justin Loretz, Rob Warner and Jason McRoy who opened up this sport to me in the mid 90s and made me realise that it was as much more than just riding a bike.

Also the old man who I helped on the A38 once who had a mild bonk on the return leg of a Bristol to Gloucester ride. “At 72 ” He said “I should probably give this up….” To him and all the other old guys still riding.

pickle
    Free Member

Matt Hoffman……..just awesome!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good thread. My first thought was Lemons as I read the samual abt book when I was younger. However, thinking about it now, I’m more tempted to think It’s the likes of Sheldon and Jedi. The big difference really is that what they do benefits others.

BillOddie

Palmer, Tomac, Peaty, Myles Rockwell, Dave Cullinan and Missy Giove in my youth

And more recently…
    Mark Weir – he’s the rider I wish I was, fit as butchers dog and tons of skill/balls.
    Wade Simmons, Andrew Shandro and Matt Hunter as they all appear to have a huge passion for mountain biking be it Trail riding or freeriding.

atlaz
    Free Member

ACtually that’s a good point. My cousin’s other grandfather was an inspiration. A member of Boston Wheelers for most of his adult life and was still riding until not that long before his death. Wasn’t quick any more but loved riding his bike.

mangoridebike

Obree – for his ability to challenge conventional thinking and then deliver the goods
    MegaSkills – for changing my view of what is possible on a bike
    Cav – for being able to match his talk off the bike with the performances on it
    Sue W’s brother – just wow!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Interesting, Im attracted to those who’ve shown ability in more than one cycling discipline.

So for me its Merxc, Armstrong, Mosely followed by Peaty, Hart & Cav.

Wiggo will get the nod for me IF he has a good tour.

ampthill

I know that being French is controlversial

but Chausson and Vouilloz

I’ve only ever seen one world class downhill, Vale 1994. They were both Juniors but were fast. Both had amazing careers as sesniors

Coyote
    Free Member

Sue W’s brother now.

Other people I admire are Peaty, Wade Simmons, Shandro etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indurain, Tomac, Valverde (what??), Sastre, Garzelli, Sola, Moncutie’.

I grew up watching the TdF in the 80’s and continued to this day, though the Giro is my fave, then the Vuelta then the hard one day races in the Italian hills and French ones in Brittany..

Though who I actually ride like is anyones guess..

ononeorange

Surely it has to be Smurfhat in all his awesomeness who used to be on here?!

Seriously, Jedi gets my vote – if he’s made as much difference to others’ riding as he has to Mrs O’s and mine, he is a hero.

rickon
    Free Member

At the moment, Mike Hall 🙂

Just rode around the world in 91 days. Averaging 200 miles a day.

xterramac
    Free Member

+1 for Jens Voigt, an animal on a bike,,,,,,

As for who the F is Rob Lee, for the record he is someone who did a few long distance things to an ok level a few years back when the standards/expectations were low. (eg west highland way at running speed on a bike.)Then wrote a book on it. He’s not shown his face in recent years probably due to the standard improving at solo 24hr and endurance events/challenges, and if he did he would get his ticket in a massive way these days……..

Big-Bud
    Free Member

chris akrigg .hes a true inspiration to me .top bloke too

gusamc
    Free Member

Beryl Burton (*who I didn’t know about till her name was posted on here, a small post with slightly weird answers that made me look her up)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/articles/2008/05/15/people_beryl_burton_feature.shtml

the bit about where she passed the bloke (who was currently setting the mans world record for 12 hours), offered hime a liquorice allsort and then went on to set the actual world record appears to be true

“At the end of the 12 hour race Mike Mcnamara had beaten the 9 year old 12 hour record, finishing with 276.52 miles. However, his record beating ride, was completely overshadowed by Beryl’s ride which left her with a total of 277.52 miles, the first time any male road cycling record had been held by a women.”

Sue_W
    Free Member

mangoridebike & Coyote – thanks 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Not a hero but I really liked Merckx’s style.
    Obree as well, there’s thinking differently despite having some serious crippingly difficult mental issues to deal with.

deus

Stephen Roche.

And Tommy Goodwin.

And John Stamsted.

On a less endurance more skills theme then Mark Weir and Nico

edlong
    Free Member

No one.

Got really into road racing watching the TdF in the early 90s.

Then a couple of years down the line discovered that all my “heroes” were in fact total drug hoovers.

Put me off, massively.

fisha
    Free Member

Obree for me.

swiss01
    Free Member

paul fournel. maybe not a hero as susch but much of what he writes about cycling strikes a chord.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Chris Akrigg here too… unstoppable man of Yorkshire grit…

MSP

Reg Harris, when a I was a young man at the peak of my fitness, riding up holmes moss, an old codger rode past me like I was standing still, my riding buddy informed me it was Reg Harris, so even though he is an insparation to keep riding till I die, I also hate him for beating me up holmes moss.

Big Mig, he was the champion when I first started watching the tours, and he did it seemingly with a complete lack of arrogance, selfishness or the vindictiveness that so may sports men seem to believe is an essential part of the “winning” character.

Wiggo seems to be cut from the same cloth as Big Mig, and he seems a bit smarter than your average cyclist (or any other sports participants), he needs a tour victory to become a real hero, but he is an inspiration that you can still win the right way.

pinhead
    Free Member

Just interested as I read an article in this months cycling magazine about some young cyclist who had a passion for cycling, to the point he was prepared to take risks! This young man had incredible confidence to the point that it really inspired me, made me think I even wanted to be this individual! Don’t know who he is but I’m so glad I saw it.

I think you have the wrong magazine Rupert!

its this months MBR with the young gentleman that has inspired you with his Death riding etiquette racing and beating the holiday makers.

icarus
    Free Member

Lone voice in the wilderness here for Tom Simpson

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Steve peat for me.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Graeme Obree. Read his book when I was just getting into cycling. I’d just been diagnosed with depression. He was a big inspriation to me. Helped me start the journey out of a very dark place.

bonchance
    Free Member

Puck the bmx’r from real-world. Armstrongs alterego?

I jest but for some reason in spite of his prowess and achievements something gets in the way where Arm strong is concerned – personality, politics, american legend, Bush, Crow – just me? Discuss..

bonchance
    Free Member

.-.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Hoy!! hope he does it again in loudon.

racefaceec90

graeme obree

DrRSwank
    Free Member

JMC was a real influence to me when I started riding. I guess he opened my eyes to riding other than xc racing.

Jedi and Wa are both inspirations. They love riding and just seem happy to share their passion no matter what, or how, you ride.

Robert Millar and Chris Boardman when I was a kid and my dad would watch races on the tv. Tomac and JMC as a teen. Jill Homer right now.

revs1972
    Free Member

Sean Kelly for me. He was also my old mans hero when I was a kid. Probably the last man in the peleton to switch from toe clips & straps to clipless. (applies to both of them)
    Back in the day racing with Hinault , Lemond etc.
    He owned Paris Nice and was always exciting watching him in the one days, especially Paris Roubaix.

kcr
    Free Member

It’s got to be McNasty (aka George Berwick):

Now in his 70s, George is still outriding people that are half a century younger.

A former winner of the Mersey 24 hour, George has ridden the event since the 1960s, and has now completed a lifetime total of fifty-one 24 hour races. George is still the holder of the Scottish 24 hour record (set in 1967) and York-Edinburgh and London-Edinburgh RRA tandem records (set with John Murdoch).

Recently referred to as the “James Bond of Audax”, George has ridden multiple Paris-Brest-Paris events (a 1200km Audax) and countless shorter distance events. When his downtube sheared during a 1500km Audax in Germany a couple of years ago, he famously completed the final 500km with this zip-tie bodge:

(more on the West Lothian Clarion forum).

George started recording his cycling mileage when he was 18, and hit the half million mile mark back in 1996. No idea what his current total is.

In case anyone thinks George’s palmares are all road based, he has been a member of the Rough Stuff Fellowship since the ’60s and is famous for hauling his bike over mountains and bivvying in bothies and caves all over Scotland, decades before the arrival of the mountain bike.

George Berwick – cycling legend and style icon. I don’t think he spends a lot of time worrying about whether his anodized top cap matches his handlebar grips…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Who's your cycling hero? And why?’ is closed to new replies.