Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Who's tried/uses raw (unpasteurized) milk?
  • treemagnet
    Free Member

I used to like drinking cows milk, but hardly touch it now.
    Mostly because I got a lot of mucus/bunged up nose when I drank it.
    Also, it just doesn’t seem to taste as good as it used to.

My daughter gets the same thing, goats milk seems to be better but have read raw milk can be more beneficial to you.

I have read about the reasons given why milk is now pasteurized but just wondered if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with raw milk?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My great Nanna used to drink it, she called it bulls milk, smoked senior service and lived until she was 97

somafunk

We used to drink it all the time on the farm as kids in the late 70’s/80’s, straight from the cow, never did us any harm as far as i’m aware…MOOOOOOOO!.

But i don’t drink milk now coz it bungs my nose up, soya milk only these days.

garage-dweller

Tried it a few times as a kid as a mate was the son of a dairy farmer so used to get it really fresh from the cow. Better flavour but risk of all sorts of nasties I suspect.

If you are all mucussy have you considered lactose or whey intolerances? My dad has a very serious intolerance and now has goat products instead.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

As a child my dad used to have a farmer friend who we often go round for dinner. Milk was served straight from the cow. Amazing taste.
    A good deal of our cheese at work is made with un pasteurised milk and the taste is far superior IMO. I also get milk from work that although it is pasteurised, it is really nice tasting and reminds me of my childhood.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

best to get it straight from the udder….gives you a stiff neck though

slugwash
    Free Member

Here’s some that wasn’t tried/used earlier…

06/365 – Back Yard Culture by Slugwash, on Flickr

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I get milk from my local farmers market. It’s different in two ways from what you buy in the supermarket. Firstly its unpasteurised, and secondly its unhomogonised (sp?). It’s completely different to supermarket milk in so many ways, which is just like white water after the raw stuff.

There was a really good episode of the food program in R4 a while back, may still be on iplayer. Basically asking if what they sell in supermarkets (especially the really long life ones, ie cravendale) should even be called milk. Was a real eye opener. Bit like the horse meat thing, but in the opposite direction, they basically take everything out so that it doesn’t go off. And your left with, well white water.

br
    Free Member

Unpasturised is dangerous.

My Mum’s friend just died and he’d suffered with TB plus ended up on oxygen for the last 10 years of his life. Sister also the same. Doctors put it down to taking milk directly from their cow when they were kids.

Also now illegal in Scotland, and limited in England.

GrahamS

My great Nanna used to drink it, she called it bulls milk

😯

Erm… I’m not sure that is “milk” as such…

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

“Unpasturised is dangerous”. Probably more accurate, and less alarmist, to say Unpasturised carries slightly more risk.

Not that I’m suggesting that anyone drinks anything they are not entirely comfortable with, understands the risks, has done a full background check on the suppliers and filled out a risk assessment form in triplicate. Now who’s for a tescos value burger?

ransos
    Free Member

“Unpasturised is dangerous”. Probably more accurate, and less alarmist, to say Unpasturised carries slightly more risk.

Most of us have had a TB jab, no?

jam-bo

I’ve just worked out. you are not the original treemagnet are you?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I guess it’s not just TB. Reading from my milk bottle…

“This milk has not been heat treated and may contain organisms harmful to health”.

bearnecessities

He said “do you like it pasteurised, ‘cos pasteurised is best?”, she said “Ernie I’ll be happy if it comes up to me chest”.

I’ll do some work now.

Drac

Yes but it’s not just for TB.

BenjiM

Just pray that the farmers hygiene standards are up to scratch is all I can say. We stopped giing unpasteurised to the staff due the risk of Bovine TB in the area. Most supermarket milk is homogenised. There’s no difference in what we were giving to the staff as raw milk and that we we now use pasteurised. We don’t homogenise by the way.

Shred
    Free Member

Yes but it’s not just for TB.

Best tell the rest of the world then since the fight against TB is not going well at all.

ska-49
    Free Member

Every year we go to the same ski resort and we always buy milk straight from the farmer. Some mornings it’s still warm. Best tasting stuff I’ve ever had.

milkyman
    Free Member

I deliver milk straight from the farm every morning and the hygynine standards are very high and tested every week, also when the bulk tanker comes to take away the surple milk that is tested every day, the reason they homoganinse is so that you dont get cream on the top, they basicly squeeze the cream in to the milk, so the cream is still in it, but doesnt settle to the top, we dont do this at our place so our full fat milk comes with cream on the top, I do aggree that cravendale and stuff like that must have been tampered with in some way for it to have such a long shelf life, a pint of full fat kept in a fridge will be about 5-6 days, and thats not been messed around with, skimmed milk will be less because the less fat there is in there the use by date get less

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I drak it as a kid, I’m not dead.

Similalry I wear a helmet and haven’t died or rotational injuries, but I’m sure it’s possible.

konabunny
    Free Member

#nutsinmay

tomd
    Free Member

stuff like that must have been tampered with in some way

It’s not really anything sinister, it’s possible filter bacteria out of milk using membrane filtration. So you can reduce the bacteria to low levels (long shelf life) without heat treating it to destruction.

bacteria / pathogens are much, much bigger than the protein molecules,which are bigger than the sugar molecules, fat and the other stuff in milk. So you can purify without heat treating it to the same extent, which preserves the taste. in fact you can seperate the milk completely this way.

DenDennis
    Free Member

straight from the cow?
    Nah,too warm. Much better straight from the giant chilled vats in the parlour we dipped into at my uncle’s farm- had this a few times as a kid, Lovely!
    I can smell the place now 🙂

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I think that one of the food program premises’ was that many of the pathogens are actually beneficial, bit like the “good” bacteria in yogurt drinks.

One of the principles of “in defence of food” is not to eat things that doesn’t go off. I assume its for similar reasons.

smiffy

Unpasturised is dangerous

Forgive me for not being dead!

headpotdog
    Free Member

We used to have raw milk when I lived in Cumbria when I was younger.

Delivered straight from the farm each morning it was absolutely delicious, but you’d occasionally get a “free gift” when you poured it out. Mainly bits of grass, but I once got a bit of udder lining flop out of the bottle! 😯 Just picked it off my cereal and carried on with my brekkie though. 🙂 It’s all good natural stuff eh!

Kuco

Use to have it at the agricultural college canteen years ago, found it use to give me the shits.

GrahamS

I once got a bit of udder lining flop out of the bottle

Dibbs
    Free Member

My mum grew up on a farm near Okehampton, we always used to drink untreated milk there when we went to visit gran, never suffered any ill effects.

DrP

Every year we go to the same ski resort and we always buy milk straight from the farmer. Some mornings it’s still warm

He must be a sturdy chap. I prefer my milk from the cow….

DrP

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It is regulated you know – milk has to be regularly checked and bacteria counts low if you want to sell it raw to the public.

From paragraph E: Food and feed law

If you are a producer of raw milk7 (from any species), or handle raw milk or produce colostrum, the following extra rules apply:

E. You must

1. make sure that raw milk and colostrum comes from animals that:

are in a good general state of health;
    show no sign of disease that might result in the contamination of milk or colostrum8;
    do not have any udder wound likely to affect the milk or colostrum;
    are not within the prescribed withdrawal period following the administration of authorised products or substances;
    have not been given any unauthorised substances or products;

2. make sure that raw milk and colostrum comes from animals belonging to herds/holdings which have disease-free status for tuberculosis and brucellosis. If your herd or holding is not disease-free you may sell raw milk from your non-reactor animals if you are selling to a wholesaler who will heat treat the milk before marketing it for human consumption, or the raw milk is from sheep or goats9 and is intended to be made into cheese that has a maturation period of at least two months. Make sure that raw milk and colostrum from any animal not complying with these requirements is not placed on the market for human consumption;
    3. effectively isolate animals that are infected, or suspected of being infected, with brucellosis or tuberculosis so that there is no adverse effect on other animals’ milk;

4. make sure that milking equipment and the premises where raw milk and colostrum are stored, handled or cooled are located and constructed to limit the risk of contamination of milk and colostrum;

5. make sure that premises used for the storage of raw milk and colostrum:

are protected against vermin, including birds and birds’ nests, and adequately separated from premises where animals are housed;
    have suitable refrigeration equipment in order to meet the post-milking cooling rules;

6. make sure the surfaces of equipment that come into contact with raw milk or colostrum are easy to clean and disinfect (where this is necessary);
    7. clean (and disinfect where necessary) the surfaces of equipment that come into contact with raw milk or colostrums after each use, and maintain in a sound condition;

8. carry out milking hygienically, especially making sure that:

before milking starts the teats, udder and adjacent parts are clean;

you satisfactorily identify animals undergoing any medical treatment which is likely to transfer residues to the milk or colostrum;

raw milk or colostrum from any animals that are still within the withdrawal period after receiving medication is not used for human consumption;

9. hold raw milk in a clean place, designed and equipped to avoid contamination, immediately after milking. The milk must be cooled immediately to:

not more than 8°C if it is collected daily;
    not more than 6°C if it is not collected daily.

You will not break the rule to cool raw milk immediately after milking if the milk is going to be processed within 2 hours of milking or you have received permission from the competent authority because of the dairy products that will be made from this milk.
    10. hold colostrum in a clean place, designed and equipped to avoid contamination, immediately after milking. Colostrum must be stored separately and be cooled immediately to:

not more than 8°C if it is collected daily;
    not more than 6°C if it is not collected daily

or it must be frozen.

officialtob
    Free Member

I grew up drinking unpasturised goats milk as a young kid.

Still going strong 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

milk has to be regularly checked and bacteria counts low if you want to sell it raw to the public

and beef lasagna should contain beef…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

and beef lasagna should contain beef…

Of course. The regulation is there though.

Additionally, the route to market for raw milk is generally a world apart from Findus frozen muck lasagne. You could probably go and have a look around the dairy if you asked nicely.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Good point Torsinalake, the farm I buy mine off actually have an open weekend once a year. You can meet the cows, but also see all the processes involved.

Drac

I grew up drinking unpasturised goats milk as a young kid.

Yeah most kids do.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Love the stuff – place just up the road from my parents house, and I always get some whenever I go up there

tends to scour out my daughters for a couple of days though if they have it, but once they’re through that, they’re fine.

cinnamon_girl

Have you tried Arla Lacto-free milk, available from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.

Lactose can be a problem for some people, causing upset tummy, the runs etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Who's tried/uses raw (unpasteurized) milk?’ is closed to new replies.