Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Who’s the best biker ?
  • pallyally
    Free Member

Two blokes and a girl gearing up to start the Marin Trail just as I arrived yesterday. Girl was one of those types that talks too loud and keeps up an incessant barrage of inconsequential anecdotes without pausing for breath. They head off up the hill with the floozie still gibbering away at maximum decibels. After a puncture repair / fettling session I started up the trail about 40 mins behind them at a good pace. As I approach Hafna the floozie comes into earshot and I see them again just getting on their bikes after a picnic.I set off up the fire road still on a consistent pace but as I pass them one of the blokes decides that he is a better biker than me and starts cranking away furiously, clearly with no other reason than to get to the top of the hill before me. Having demonstrated his amazing prowess he returned back down the hill to join his friends.The most blatent piece of one-upmanship I have experienced. Should I have:

a) Politely acknowledged that he was indeed a better biker
    b) Offered to race him over the last 12 miles of the trail and show the cwunt who’s the best
    c) Punched him in the face and jumped on his bike
    d) Highlighted the analogy between himself and an act of male self abuse
    e) Done something else

Or am I too sensitive

simonralli2
    Free Member

e?

Just chill out, and carry on your merry way happy in the knowledge that you are confident in your own riding skills and have nothing to prove to anyone?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

A similar thing has happened to me but i also love hunting people down and passing them , you should have started a conversation and casually stated this was your 3rd time around today

monotokpoint
    Free Member

HAHA you lost

hicksville
    Free Member

too sensitive ……indeeed

Joxster
    Free Member

You shold have told him his stem was too small for a c0ck that size, then pushed him it to a gorse/bramble bush.

pallyally
    Free Member

Hey Mono
    I wasn’t racing

oldgit
    Free Member

The one that tickles me is the guy that passes you usually on a climb, then realising he can’t keep up this show of strength for remaining 95% of the climb then stops to either;
    1) look at the view
    2) Has an imaginary mechanical.
    I never purposely chase someone down, if I pass them I pass them.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ha ha! You got pwned!

Everyone is laughing at you, and your status as a man is now virtually non-existent! You may as well just start wearing dresses, and call yourself Caroline. And forget mtbing; knitting and embroidery are more your thing now.

I quite enjoy overtaking friends on climbs, on me singlespeed. Then sit at the top waiting for them. Smoking a cig.

I is hench.

ton

grow up……

welshwhitedog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it myself.

radoggair
    Free Member

i think i’m the best biker 😛

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, I quite like hunting people down, some will race, others won’t. Doesn’t bother me.

THEY ALL LOSE!!!!

And I get the girl too.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Posts like this make me want to disassociate myself from mountain biking.

willej

Shouldn’t the “STW stock replies” for such a question should have been mentioned by now?

finbar
    Free Member

I’m the best biker. Hold my medal while i kiss your girlfriend.

sq225917
    Free Member

HTFU..

grumm
    Free Member

The best biker is the one that’s not doing the Marin Trail. 😉

sherry
    Free Member

I never get bothered about being overtaken on a climb, if they want to waste all their energy on a climb, fantastic. I think its hilarious when someone nearly blows up trying to overtake on a climb. I don’t like to be overtaken on a decent or technical singletrack though! Thankfully that doesn’t happen to often.

flipiddy
    Free Member

OP – Let it all wash over… seriously, not worth it at all.

The chap does sound a bit special, but you just have to laugh at these sort of folk. They are everywhere…not just on bikes…

forge197
    Free Member

I’m happy to be overtaken on the climbs, as they are the connectors to the good stuff and I plod up hills so it happens all the time, that said if there is someone else on the trail and they fancy a good hack down a trail then I think it’s good fun, you never can tell how good someone is or isn’t if you don’t know them.

At Afan this weekend there was a real mix of abilities, I came up to a guy waiting mid trail he saw me approach and took off, he was handy on the bike and on that trail so it was a real pleasure to follow him down, he didn’t hold me up and I didn’t hold him up it was just good fun.

On Energy I headed off and mid trail sensed there was a faster rider approaching so at an oppurtune moment pulled over and let them go, didn’t catch them up either they were gone 🙂

But really life is far to short to be worrying about it.

ton

i am always last up a climb, and who gives a flying ****……
    if the people you ride with give you grief for it **** em off and ride with people who do not bother.

and if it bothers you that someone beats you up a climb, get some **** training done…. 😀

psling
    Free Member

I was at the Marin Trail today, riding with a mate and his gobby girlfriend (you know the type, hair pulled back tight to stop her getting wrinkles from talking too much).

Anyway, we were out for a gentle pootle minding our own business and took a picnic along with us. We noticed this guy, all the gear and obviously a good rider but he seemed to be taking far too much notice of us. Don’t know if he fancied my mate’s bird or maybe he fancied my mate.

Still, we stopped for a picnic and this guy was kinda stalking us; he’d obviously been holding back keeping an eye on us. Weirdo! We were just getting back on our bikes and a wasp got under my helmet – jeeez, I was off up that hill like Nick Craig but would you believe the weirdo tried to race me. Ha, he had no chance, that wasp put me quicker than Sir Chris. The little bu99er (the wasp that is) got out near the top of the hill so I pootled back down to my mate. Luckily the weirdo appeared to have had enough. He seemed a sensitive kind of guy though…

😉 😆 😆

ton

double 8)

samuri
    Free Member

lol at psling

monotokpoint
    Free Member

pallyally

Yes you were

RealMan
    Free Member

Im guilting of chasing anyone and everyone. Especially up hills.

Its a challenge, its motivation, its variety, and it gets you fitter. And a bit of competition never hurt anyone.

It is only friendly, after all. Im yet to put my pump in someones spokes.

scaredypants

Pallyally:

A bit out of the normal habitat but, just a thought, did he kick up a lot of dust as he passed ?

rigid SS ?

Smee
    Free Member

Overtaken, going up a hill, not quite sure i’ve had that experience before. 😉

Sounds like a serious case of weekend warrioritis

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I always look at what gear ratio the ponce is in when he passes me, when you have been on a bike long enough you can usually tell by the cadence – ie, you know what gear you are using, and when you catch the breathless **** at the top shout out to your mates, “made it in my big ring and eigth sprocket – or something to that efect”

juan
    Free Member

GNARGNAR second after chuck norris apparently

zaskar
    Free Member

Humility, race is in your head,

I love hills but how long have you trained, how far have you ridden?

You would have caned me today as I’ve ridden 150 miles in 3 days so just ignore the show off and me.

Enjoy your riding. If he was that good he’d be sponsered abroad.

Wave your pinky at him? 😈

Maybe he was showing how good he was after an injury? life is too short for thinking about it so ride more!

Oxboy
    Free Member

I really dont care either way, if I pass someone on a climb it shows I’m getting fitter, if someone passes me on a climb it shows I could be fitter! Mind you these whippets who climb well are usually shockingly bad at going down hills and end up getting caught up anyway!!! 😉

pallyally
    Free Member

Thanks for all the good comment team. Just to expand on my post:

I wasn’t racing I was just doing a good average speed.
    I didn’t encourage the guy to race
    I was minding my own business
    I started 40 mins behind him from the carpark
    I was in my middle ring and he was on the granny
    If I’d decided to get out of the saddle I’d have trounced the cwunt but have upset my rythm.
    Anyone can bust a gut to beat someone up the hill if the want to.
    His bike was a silvery thing from Costco
    I’m dead old anyway
    I did the circuit in 1:56 which isn’t a bad time

I just think it’s infantile

Oops Just read Psling’s post….sorry pal just shows how you can get these things wrong

ton

i bet you ride alone………. 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Does it really matter, though?

Seems it does, to you.

You got pwned. Get over it.

How’s that embroidery coming on? And can you do us a nice jumper?

radoggair
    Free Member

1:56……thats rubbish. You need to be climbing faster 😉

pallyally
    Free Member

I ride alone
    I will take up knitting
    Yes I do need to be climbing faster

ton

i too ride alone……….. 😥
    at the back……………… 🙄

pallyally
    Free Member

ton In my experience it’s best to be at the back. That way the person at the front finds the wheeltraps before you do

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Who’s the best biker ?’ is closed to new replies.