• This topic has 187 replies, 162 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)
  • Who's still on a 26"?
  • SaxonRider

So who on here still just rides a plain old 26″?

Although there are other bikes I would be happy to own, I’m still riding the mountain bike I bought back in 2009.

Anyone else?

scotroutes

My fatbike is a 26er. So is my Blur but that gets little use these days.

ransos
    Free Member

Me. I tried a 29er and didn’t like it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup. 2006 Cotic Soda, 2013 Rocket.

Want to try a 275 Rocket, but in no desperate hurry to change.

nealglover
    Free Member

All 26 here.

honourablegeorge

About to replace my 26″ Soul, took it for a ride at the weekend, it’s stil a bloody ace bike. Still have two other 26ers too, both still ace bikes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve got a cross bike but that doesn’t count as a proper bike.

My Five is still a 26er and after my first ride in months last weekend, I was reminded what a great thing it is. I had it in mind to change it this year but with my planning on chucking money at things with 4 wheels and engines I’m thinking about just a new frame and it’ll be another 26er – an Alpine 160.

If I was buying a new, full bike going 650B/29er would be a no brainer but for the time being, I’m more than happy on my very capable 26″ bike.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

All 26 here

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Both of mine are 26″. I’ll only be buying 27.5″ if there’s no spares for 26″. No point in the new size other than to try and squeeze more money out of people, especially those that didn’t buy into 29ers.

jekkyl

yup on a 26″ soul here and I do quite fancy a 29er and I can afford one but I keep thinking… will I be smiling any more when I get to the bottom of the trail? No is the answer and me wanting one is just pure avarice, I cannot justify the expense and I’m proud of myself so far that I’ve managed to resist.

montgomery
    Free Member

Yes, does me fine. Next time I do a major strip down and clean-up, I might transfer the bits to a 2005 Trek 8500 frame that’s been sitting in the attic for a few years. Bomber 26″ wheels, rigid forks – what’s to change?

Klunk
    Free Member

9 speed cotic soul and a simple here.

edlong
    Free Member

26 here, same for Mrs edlong, no plans to change

coffeeking
    Free Member

All 26. Not keen on larger. No plans to change but it seems like the supply of 26″ parts is getting smaller and smaller.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Yes, 2013 mondraker foxy XR. Just had the rear shock serviced by mojo, forks serviced, new frame bearings and headset……so I’m keeping it! 🙂

tenfoot

Yep. 2011, 26’er Zesty.

fathomer

Both of mine are 26″ an the minute, but I have a 650 frame on order. Not because I was desperate for a 650 bike, I fancied a change and there isn’t much choice other than 29ers.

Keando

All 26 here.

Dickyboy

Yup all 26 here, have recently built a rigid 29 but thats for commuting/touring so doesn’t really count, recon on keeping them till they break now, pretty fed up with change for change sake plus I’m an old luddite & proud of it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I still have 2 in regular use. I own a 650b but only because nobody does decent 26″ any more. It’s all a big con. I never get on my 650b and notice any difference at all.

v666ern
    Free Member

well this list will make the ‘cull’ easier 😉

are you lot the new niche, like fat bikes were, do you lot get looked at with the ‘what is THAT’ look

sorry 😆

benjamins11
    Free Member

26 for me too. Seems to work as well as it ever did.

sandboy

2×26″ here

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The Evil Sovereign will never die (as long as I can source half-decent 1.1/8″ steerer suspension forks for it)

PJay
    Free Member

I’m still riding 26″, but then I’m still riding 3×9 with an Octalink bottom bracket (which just won’t wear out) so I’m pretty out of date across the board.

40mpg

Three 26ers here – hardtail, full suss and fat.

Although this has been asked before:

Which mountain bike wheel size do you ride the most off road?

26in (51%, 376 Votes)
    29in (28%, 208 Votes)
    27.5in (12%, 88 Votes)
    I lavish equal care and attention on all my wheel sizes (4%, 30 Votes)
    Fat (3%, 21 Votes)
    29+ (1%, 10 Votes)
    I ride some other wheel size. It’s the future! (1%, 4 Votes)
    27.5+ (0%, 4 Votes)
    Total Voters: 741
    Start Date: May 13, 2015 @ 3:21 pm
    End Date: No Expiry

Edit – the results of which I found quite surprising given the amount of discussion and m,marketing on non-26 wheels, which I guess is why it stuck in my mind

richmars

Don’t understand the question.You mean there are other wheel sizes?
    How odd.

Euro
    Free Member

2 x 26. I’m tempted by a 29 HT to replace my 456 SS but it’ll be a while off yet (thinking along the lines of the NP Scout 290 or similar).

ThePinkster

2 fullsussers & 1 HT all 26. My only non-26er is my commuter bike, which is 700c.

wl
    Free Member

Yep, 2013 Five: last of the 26-inchers. Fantastic bike, but I will be selling it any time now (so shout on here if anyone’s interested).

santacoops
    Free Member

Not getting rid of my SB66c for anything.

eskay

26″ hardtail with carbon forks here (I’ll crawl back into my hole).

LoCo
    Free Member

Broke all my 26″ frames and couldn’t find anything suitable a reasonable price so ended up 29″ ht, the fs just being stripped down is a 26″ frame but has been running 650 wheels with various mods.
    TBH though aesthetically the 650 and 29″ wheels look better on the 21″ frames I have to ride though. 😉

sofaboy73
    Free Member

yep and will be for a while as can’t really seem to see a reason (and / or afford) to change my mk2 nomad – just about to buy a new shock which will keep me on it for another few years most likely. the industry move to 650b has actually acted as an inhibitor to me changing bikes due to not being able to transfer wheels & forks (two of the most expensive components in any build) onto a new frame

iainc

26 Soul here too 🙂

also have a 650B Anthem SX.

Both great fun, can’t notice any difference in wheel size TBH.

Simon

Still on 26″ here, Spesh Pitch and On One C456. No plans to change.

aazlad
    Free Member

Both of my mountain bikes are 26″. I have no intention of ‘upgrading’ but if I did change either I would look for a 26″ as I have wheels and tyres a plenty and there is good value 26″ kit available all over the place.

beaker

Yup, a Pace RC405 and an Indy Fab.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have just given up 26 in November. Replaced with 27.5, because that’s what was being sold and I don’t like how 29ers feel.

I assure you that 27.5 is definitely no different in feel to a 26″. Which begs the question, why does it exist?

oldbloke
    Free Member

All 26″ here. Although I can’t say I’m on it as Canyon can’t seem to be able to send spare parts out in less than 4 months.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Who's still on a 26"?’ is closed to new replies.