Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Who's still camping?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

The summer seems to have been a very short lived affair back sometime in June. We are hardy Derbyshire folk but Mrs ws and lady ws are showing signs of discontent at this weekends planned camping trip as it’s forecast for around 6 degrees at night. I already know the truck we’ve currently got will be rammed to the roof with duvets/blankets/sleeping bags etc..

organic355
    Free Member

nah we called it quits a few weekends ago after a very wet weekend in Luss !! Our 2 boys still had a blast though!!

AlexSimon

Woodburner ftw

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6qKm5K]Inviting warm glow[/url] by Alex Simon, on Flickr

To be honest, I think we’ve mostly given up camping. The before and after are just too much with a 11yo and 15yo. I was hoping to have a campervan by now, but it hasn’t panned out (cash).

2 trips have been cut short by bad weather forecasts for the packing up day. We don’t have anywhere to dry everything off, so it’s a right pain.

We’ve taken to staying in YHAs instead, which is a lot dearer, but takes almost no planning/mess.

joshvegas
    Free Member

All year round.

tjagain

I have a weekend off at the end of sept where we will probably camp unless lots of rain forecast. . I camp april to oct.

RustySpanner

Mrs S is away at the mo with a few mates and we’ve a Welsh roadtrip planned shortly.

Can’t rain forever, can it?

If it gets too bad we’ll kip in the Doblo and chain the bikes up outside.

Don’t mind the cold, but can’t be doing with running out of dry clothes anymore…..

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not right now, I’m at work. But I’ll camp all year round, it doesn’t worry me. As long as there’s a pub to get a decent hot meal and a couple of beers then I’m happy.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re cold, pay attention to what you’re sleeping on. We have one of these:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outwell-dreamcatcher-sleeping-mat-double-7-5cm-p366400

Toasty. Not as toasty as the caravan mind 🙂

Dickyboy

Trip planned at end of Sept – zip together sleeping bags keep us warm & snuggly*

* The plus side of menopausal hot flushes

fasthaggis

We’ve taken to staying in YHAs instead, which is a lot dearer, but takes almost no planning/mess

Aye Alex,we switched to YHA when the kids got older,plus the other friends that we would meet up with were a bit ‘soft campers’ so were won over by the YHAs.Great fun and the kids enjoyed it just as much as camping.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sailing inland championships in October, it’ll be cold, but I’ll be pissed so I won’t care.

I usually try and so at least some bivi’s over the winter. Ronhills, smelly-helly and a hat keep me warm down to just below freezing. I’ve no idea what my bag is rated at, it’s an old ME Dragon series down bag, but I find insulating clothes in it do more to keep me warm than warmer bags without clothes.

foil bubble wrap under the sleeping mat helps too if camping from the car.

aP
    Free Member

Yes – lightweight cycle camping weekend after next, then CtBM’s “Stairway to Devon” in early October. Then there “may” be some cheeky hammock S24O’s in the following couple of months.

doris5000

planning to do a night this weekend. it’ll be mrs Doris’s first camping this year; I suspect that –

a) she is only pretending to want to go because it’s my birthday
    b) she will be uncomfortably cold and will grumble
    c) on Friday she will suggest we go to a B&B instead

Stoner
    Free Member

going to be bivvying/bothying in the Southern Uplands in a fortnight. I expect to be cold, wet and grumpy by the end though.

Campervan sleeping at Dover this Friday doesnt count does it?

whitestone
    Free Member

We will be this next week. It’s not even cold yet!

stever
    Free Member

Away with eldest last weekend in the Peak. Bit chilly for summer bag – cold in the night but not quite cold enough to wake up properly and do something about it 🙂

mildbore

Had a weekend at Glenridding a couple of weekends ago and me and chums have a Lakes weekend planned for the end of the month. Twas cold overnight last time, but that’s cos it was a clear night so the payoff was glorious weather the next day. On the Saturday night a lot of triathletes turned up for an event on Sunday and overnight the weather turned…

aP
    Free Member

Campervan sleeping at Dover this Friday doesnt count does it?

Where you off to?

durhambiker
    Free Member

I’ll be camping, though not getting much sleep at all, this weekend whilst crewing at the Brutal Triathlons in Llanberis. Then camping again next weekend at Equinox24 at Belvoir Castle, and then 2 weeks of camping to look forward to in October down at Eton Dorney crewing at Deca UK.

aracer
    Free Member

I went camping in January this year – I guess that makes me a year round camper (and yes it was properly cold at night, I took 2 sleeping bags). Wouldn’t take kids then, though I have taken them camping in October.

benp1

For me, never – it’s year round

For the family – we’ve never been camping, sounds too much like moving house!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

the cold you can get away with.. its the wind and rain 👿

Stoner
    Free Member

aP – Mrs Stoner is competing in the World Triathlon Championships in Rotterdam this weekend, so while she’s flying out on Thursday, Mini Stoners and I are driving over on Saturday morning after an overnight at Dover.

doris5000

For the family – we’ve never been camping, sounds too much like moving house!

ha

just reminded me of when I was wandering through one of those massive family campsites in Croatia, maybe 5 years ago. The stuff people had! Massive CRT TV’s, fridges, kitchen shelves full of stuff. It was literally like moving house*

then again, when I was a kid my parents would try to bring 2 weeks worth of food with us, so they’d have to buy as little as possible on holiday… 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s looking good for the weekend rain wise. Right on the southern edge of the peaks literally 20 mins from home, not going far as it’s just a meet up with one of my best mates and his wife and kid. I’ve managed to borrow a bike for him so Saturday could also result in a trip to a and e as it’s probably 25 years since he rode anything with a slight bumpy element. Can’t wait to be fair as we are fuelled highly on Stella when together and he’s going in his caravan so does all the cooking. It’s almost like an all inclusive camping trip 8)
    Sod the cold.

CountZero

I had planned on getting away to South Devon with my swanky new tent at the end of the month, but it’s looking increasingly pointless when I’m going to be sat in the tent avoiding the rain most of the day, except when I’m in the pub.
    It’s not so much getting cold at night, just the tedium of having to put up with persistent wet weather.
    I’ll save the money I’d have spent on an early-bird ticket for next year’s Greenman Festival.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Not long back from a week of camping in The Lake District ( Hawkshead ) ..mind you we had a hook-up and 3 hot air heaters to keep four of us warm in a 6 man tent ..lowest temperature we woke up to was 3c ..when I say we that refers to myself who had the interior cooking by the time the missus & two kids decided to join me ..
    Every available amount of space was taken up in the car & roof box ..cant wait for the kids to decide they don’t want to come anymore !
    Spookily though I think it would be a blast to get the lads away in the tent for a mtb trip but they are all getting too soft in their old age !

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lads’n’dads trip planned for Hay-on-Wye area next weekend. Reckon we’ll have to put the six of us in one room for some warmth in the night. 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Warm and dry or cold and frozen (snow is fine), anything in between I’ll probably angle towards YHA

chakaping
    Free Member

when I was a kid my parents would try to bring 2 weeks worth of food with us, so they’d have to buy as little as possible on holiday…

Quite right too!

No point having a van if I can’t fill it full of Lidl’s finest. Don’t want to spend my holiday going shopping.

scotroutes

It’s an all year thing for me.

The only time I’ve run out of water while riding in Scotland was in Glen Kinglas when all the running water had frozen.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

First year in a long time I haven’t camped, but I think me & the family are done with it for now, I’m gutted as I bought a new massive tent last year & haven’t even used it 🙁

slowoldman

Camped 3 weeks ago in the rain in the lakes. Still have a chest infection.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Was supposed to be cycling the Sarn Helen trail starting Saturday, but have decided to call it off. My cycling buddy from near Manchester has said it has rained and rained recently and the trails across Snowdonia and the Brecons will most likely be hard going.

Fingers crossed that late Sept / Early October is good as I am still hoping to do it before the years out.

I’ll be honest and say the weather has been %!*$ and I have been crawling up the wall 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    going to be bivvying/bothying in the Southern Uplands in a fortnight. I expect to be cold, wet and grumpy by the end though.

Bring a canoe.

Riofer
    Free Member

Off this weekend over the border into north Wales and the wife has a trip planned for the end of the month in the Peak. Keeping a weather watch on both, this weekend should by mostly dry, lest see what the end of the month brings.

Philby

Hopefully get another few days in over the next few weeks probably in Pembrokeshire, Cornwall or Dorset.

fatmax

Camped at the weekend just outside Edinburgh, with the kids, and it was fine. Camping again at the end of the month with them in the Borders, and by bivvying sleeping bag is probably good for another mild night at some stage in the next few weeks too.

el_boufador

Had a great stay over the B/hol weekend on welshfarmer (off here’s) farm in the Brecons with the family. Weather has definitely turned since then though.

Off to the lakes at the weekend camping and MTBing with mates. I’m hoping even with the rain, if we stick to the rocky trails they’ll have drained OK by then.

That’ll probably be it for the year, except if I get a chance to squeeze in a bivvy late Sept or sometime in Oct. Might also rent one of those podshed things in the Oct half term, but haven’t quite decided yet.

I think the summer has been OK. Started out excellently in the spring but we were kind of busy with other things / squanderd the weather a little bit so didn’t camp much. Since the end of July the weather has been up and down, but we have shifted around locations for camping well and got the best of the weather. That’s one of the beauties of it (camping), I reckon. You do need to be ready to change plans (on location), though.

duckman

Kids up here are tougher! I am taking a Gold final DoE out first week in Oct. Last year was cold at night but lush during the day. I had suggested we were lucky, but hey; what do I know? I will camp all year round,but car camping be ones more of a “thing” as I am getting older.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Who's still camping?’ is closed to new replies.