Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Who's single minded?
  • m4dmatt
    Free Member

I’m a complete newby to single speed and wanting to know what ratios to get and if a chainring will simply fit onto my current (deore 590) chainsett. Can anyone advise on the best rations to go for – I will be using the bike for offroad use mainly xc style stuff and am thinking of getting the conversion kit to run with 9spd chains from merlin but want to know about front chainset. can anyone advise??

Shackleton

For 26″ wheels:
    hilly – 32:18
    rolling – 32:16
    flatish – 32:15

Chainring will fit so long as you get the correct BCD. In my experience specific SS chainrings seem to work better than ramped ones, especially if you use a tensioner but work just about well enough for you to get ratios sorted before shelling out. Same goes for cogs. Split an old cassette and try various cogs before you buy a proper one.

D0NK

32:16
    most 4 bolt chainrings should fit fine, only the XT 760 I think had it’s own thing, easily fixed with a file I hear. Oh and you will need either short chainring bolts or washers (or a bash) if you swap to one chainring.
    You could use plastic waste pipe from B&Q cut to size for cog spacers if you are short on funds, aslong as you can cut bread straight 🙂

pixelmix
    Free Member

Cheapest option is the On One spacer set, currently available for £2.99 with the 16t cog, which will get you started (you can get another cog later once you decide how you get on with that one). Even cheaper than a bit of pipe from B&Q probably!

thepurist

Sacriledge for some on here, but try Superstar for the sprocket/spacers – a tenner all in. Charlie the bike monger does a decent tensioner, better than the superstar one for not much more cash, and he’ll do the chainring bolts too.

(Hadn’t seen the on-one kit – good price, but as there’s only 2 spacers you’re a bit shafted if the chainline’s not bang on. The superstar one has a few different size spacers so you can fiddle the chainline).

m4dmatt
    Free Member

cheers guys, will go treat myself to some ss parts.

BoardinBob

(Hadn’t seen the on-one kit – good price, but as there’s only 2 spacers you’re a bit shafted if the chainline’s not bang on. The superstar one has a few different size spacers so you can fiddle the chainline).

There was 4 spacers in my On One kit. Two large ones and two very thin ones, and I don’t think the picture showed that when I bought it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Who's single minded?’ is closed to new replies.