Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Who's ridden Slickrock Trail at Moab? And how was it?
  • Spamf
    Free Member

I'm driving down to Moab on the weekend and am going to rent a bike for about 3 days.
    Will Slickrock scare me into road biking forever more?
    Any recommendations?

Cheers Anton

mAx_hEadSet

Depends… It's an essential visit and ride you should not miss although after being there you will be disillusioned with british mud forever. Be careful about riding mid day it gets very very hot and dehydration is a major problem. Ride early morning or evening.. it stays hot well into the late autumn the bike shops are usually helpful as to the best route for your abilities. One thing to note is if you see the trails going up some impossibly steep rock face .. ride it you will be amazed at the amount of traction or stiction the rock gives tyres, and keep the front end lite when skimming over the sand pools

Riofer
    Free Member

Make sure you ride porcupine rim as well while you are there. You should be able to get a lift to the start of the ride on one of the bike shop shuttles. That route is one very memorable ride!

cb

I'll second the front end light over sand pools bit…dropped off a ledge right into one, over the bars and two snapped elbows! Funny how that sticks in the memory…

chucky212
    Free Member

Try to get some slick tires (no knobs) and run tubeless low pressure and you will be amazed at what you can climb on Slickrock.

But as for Porcupine Rim, go with the knobbies.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Slickrock is wonderful!
    It's not a particularly technical trail, but it just never stops. UpdownUpdownUpdownUpdown!

Bream
    Free Member

It is a must for anyone visiting the area, totally unique landscape and riding, I was there 2 weeks ago. Def ride AM, I was out by 7.15, any later and the heat/sun is a killer, there is zero shade on the trail. I also rode up to the trail from Moab, not too far but all up hill on the way there. Make sure you do the practice loop on the way, not only is it practice but it's good riding. The main trail is no harder, just longer.

Overall I was quite surprised how hard the ride was, not that I was expecting it to be easy, but it is a couple of hours of interval training with plenty of pushing up. You have to imagine riding over boulders, steeps ups followed by steep down etc. There are some wonderful longer descent sections where you can venture off the white dots and carve your own line up the natural rock berms. As for keeping a light front wheel, I reckon there is a section that 90% of riders must go over the bars, slick rock down to small drop off and sand pit, about 1/3 of the way round (clockwise), just after the loop split. Luckily I'm use to going over the bars so bail out pretty well lol 😆

I rented a Yeti 575 from TJ at Poison Spider, great helpful guy, highly recommended, it was a nice ride but any XC bike would do, just don't rent a DH type bike as this would be a pig to get round. My preference would be lightweight rather the burly, yes the rock can be harsh on the sus/bike but those ups will be much more bearable and you will not lose any of the DH fun.

You can also join guided tours if you want to venture further a field but feel riding alone a little risky etc.

A couple of phone pics:

Dot to dot…

Archers in the distance:

Looking down to Moab:

crazy-legs

Totally unique trail, a definite must-do. It's also the hardest 10 miles you will ever ride! Not particularly technical but unrelenting, you're constantly on it.
    Your tyres will have about 3 months UK wear in one ride so make sure they're in good condition!

Porcupine Rim is also a must-do while you're there.

Have fun! 🙂

NewRetroTom

Giong out to Colorado for the singlespeed worlds in September and then on to Moab, Fruita and a few other places. Can't wait!

stever
    Free Member

Ditto crazy-legs. You shouldn't get scared, and it's not *that* hard, but it is pretty unrelenting and needs you to focus. Re-adjust your preconceptions about what's rideable: up, down and contouring. You'll be surprised. You can always walk. Repeat stuff about water, heat, etc.

Coyote do a shuttle to the top of the LPS from Kaibab, which is more singletracky and joins the regular Porcupine Rim. A real Desert Island Ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Who's ridden Slickrock Trail at Moab? And how was it?’ is closed to new replies.