Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Who's MTB'd in Hong Kong?
  • fatboyjon

We’re off to Hong Kong visiting family soon and I’m going to have chance for a couple of rides. Anything I shouldn’t miss? Anything I shouldn’t bother with? And any sources of really good cheap carbon bike bits to go and look at?

Cheers all.

loughor
    Free Member

Firstly, you’ll need a permit from the country parks department. Form is on the website. Depending where you’re based, chi ma wan on Lantau, tai mo Shan for dh fun. Sai Kung also, or the dragon trail on HK island. Maps will come with the permit, or email me, profile

ekpyrotik

loughor hit most of the trails worth riding, Lamma is also pretty good sometimes.

If you do Chi Ma Wan trail on Lantau you can hire from Jacky @ Friendly Bikeshop in Mui Wo. And assorted family members can hang out in MW or on the beach at Pui O whilst you ride 🙂

Lots of places to find Shiny Bits:

Skyblue Bikes – 4 Bonham Strand West, Sheung Wan
    Gravity Research – 43 Tai Nan St, Sham Shui Po
    Flying Ball – 680 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Lai King/Cheung Sha Wan
    Probike TST – 33-35 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui
    MTBiker – 47-49, Kwong Fuk Square, Tai Po – or maybe round the corner

http://www.hkmba.org has good info also

best time of the year to ride in HK! 😀

andyrm
    Free Member

Have a look at this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Hong-Kong-Trails-Calm-Amidst-the-Chaos-2013.html

I can put you in touch with Kenneth if you like too 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

Yes I had a day biking there when I was over for 3 weeks with work
    Some excellent trails
    Contact Steve here http://www.crosscountryhk.com/
    He will hire you a bike, take you out for the day and show you around, including sorting out all the relevant permits etc, drinks the lost, was a great service and good value
    Highly recommended he showed me some cheeky stuff you wouldn’t find on your own
    HongKong MTb a friendly bunch over on FB too

Generally bike bits where not that cheep (visit to Flying Ball is a must though)

stewartc
    Free Member

Looks like all you have your answers, if your on that Facebook a load of us usual post rides up on the MTB.HK group and your welcome to join, usually a few different groups riding.

iain1775
    Free Member

Stewart think I met your lot when I was over in October
    We where just arriving at a little cafe/smallholding type place near Tai Lam reservoir as the MTb.hk group was leaving, about 12 of you, some in full face
    Recognised a few bikes and faces from some of the vids on Facebook. Next time I’m over will definitely try to join you

wonnyj
    Free Member

David Miller is your man for that isn’t he?

fatboyjon

Thanks for all that, I’m already in touch with Steve at CrosscountryHK and I’ll be heading out with him at least once.

Any other gems?

mduncombe
    Free Member

I went riding in HK while on a February business trip a few years back. Arranged for a guided ride with Crosscountry HK. Steve was a great guide had a blast, some big hills though. Stories of bunny hoping over snakes when rounding a corner added interest! jumped on a plane home just a couple of hours after finishing the ride, never slept so well on a flight 🙂

Strava link for the ride below

http://app.strava.com/activities/24053470

andyrm
    Free Member

Just messaged Kenneth Lam for you with a link to this thread – he’s vice president of the Hong Kong MTB club and works at one of their bigger bike shops so will hopefully pop up soon with some ideas 🙂

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi Iain, probably at Hoi Poi village after a quick bike clean, after riding TMS we usually head back to local MTR station (Kam Sheung Road) to head home.
    Next time your in town join the group, there are always different groups riding in different parts of the territory.
    FBJ, Steve is probably your best bet, I’m sure he know every trail in HK and after riding with you will know the best for you.

iain1775
    Free Member

Mduncombe’s strava link is the same ride Steve took me on
    Some quick tech rocky bits, some nice flowy stuff, few decent climbs and a couple good descents, had bits of everything really, would like to do Dragons Back at some point, for the views over HK skyline

fatboyjon

Thanks for the info folks. Got back a few days ago and although I only managed a few rides, there were some great trails. Had a ride out with Steve from crosscountryHK round Tai Lam Chung reservior and country park. Some nice singletrack bits in there and completely empty trails. Steve was a great guide and comes highly recommended for knowledge of the trails, guiding and good banter.

The best riding I got to was on Lamma Island where I spent some very enjoyable time just following my nose, getting lost and finding some superb trails cut by the local riders. Anyone over there who hasn’t ridden Lamma needs to get on the ferry and go do it. We stayed there so it was on the doorstep but from the number of times we met bikers getting on the ferry from Central when we were off elsewhere, it’s becoming a popular destination already.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Who's MTB'd in Hong Kong?’ is closed to new replies.