Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Who's had a Christmas bottle or two?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I know this post every year upsets a few in the corporate world, as receiving gifts in the modern age is hugely frowned upon, however in builder land corruption is still rife!
    So far
    5 reds, (2 of plonk standard, 3 good)
    3 whites (doesn’t matter as mrsws drinks anything bar chardonnay)
    awaiting a case of Stella (classy)
    A “tranquillity” calendar (no boobs on show)
    A random pen torch pointer thing
    5 pens with handy rubber bit included that works on my Samsung tablet.
    Not a bad start, finish Wednesday though so time running out.
    You?

stumpy01

We’ve had a massive posh box of baklava delivered to work that was gone in about 20mins and a tin of those Royal Danish biscuits that also didn’t last very long!

Our company gathers everything up and does a lucky dip on the last day. Last year I got a massive Italian food hamper, but normally it’s a bottle of wine.

tthew

A £25 gift voucher is the only thing of note, which I’d spent in my head immediately. When I mentioned it to the boss for inclusion on the bribery and corruption compliance spread sheet I was asked if I would ‘like’ to put it in the charity raffle for charity, which would be very charitable of me. 🙁

perchypanther
    Free Member

however in builder land corruption is still rife!

Apparently not.

Zilch. Nada. Zip. Diddly Squat.

There should be less corruption in the construction industry.

…..or more opportunity for me to participate in it personally.

senorj

We got a £5 voucher to spend on site .
    Humbug .

Drac

Nothing still off work 😥

Although I have a gift bag from my boss but not opened it yet.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What timing, one of our joiners has just dropped off a bottle of reyka, looks like a posh Icelandic vodka. It should possibly be named rekya by the looks of it’s alcohol content. That was really nice of him tho as he’s just a single joiner who works for us, and as I told him there was absolutely no need to have done it.

chakaping
    Free Member

People don’t really get upset about a fine old tradition like this, do they?

I’m in a position where I should probably be sending bottles out to customers, but didn’t think of it til just now.

🙂

gerti
    Free Member

Nothing. If I was working Christmas Day I would get a free sandwich and mars bar. Merry Christmas!

Drac

If I was working Christmas Day I would get a free sandwich and mars bar. Merry Christmas!

Show off!

scud
    Free Member

i work for the largest insurers in Europe, posted record profits for last 10 years……..no pay rise for 4 years and i got a £10 Amazon voucher, whoopdy, **** doobdy..

rocketman
    Free Member

Booze/biscuits/hamper passed on to relatives

Kept the Google beanie and Red Bull mug

scotroutes

My neighbour (holiday home owner) usually gives me a bottle of Whisky for putting his bins out and any other wee errands I do for him over the year. Last Xmas it was a Balvenie Doublewood. He handed in a 12-year old Glenisla last night.

mikey74
    Free Member

We’ve all been given a case of 12 bottles of wine: a mixture of white, red and prosecco, as our Christmas bonus. I’d rather have the cash, tbh.

doris5000

public sector, so no, nothing like that.

the office usually gets a box of posh chococolates from whichever graphic design agency we’ve used that year. There are about 50 people in the office so it lasts approximately 0.000024 seconds.

ton

nice bottle of bombay gin from a supplier, and £100 in vouchers from a customer.
    very much appreciated.

scruff9252

Gifts?! Ha!

The past couple of years I have received a nifty desktop sewage transfer pump calendar. The best I have received this year is a rather festive “The 12 Pump Case Studies of Christmas” email.

Bah bloody humbug

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I worked a couple of Christmases in a factory that had a really nice community staff feel to it. The first year I was there we all got a turkey and a ham the day it shut for the Christmas break. They also gave us all a turkey dinner in the canteen where the managers served the staff.

The second year a new company had taken over and declared the turkey and ham gift to be a benefit in kind and that it would need to be declared. Therefore it was not cost effective and would not be happening again. The turkey dinner also fell through. It’s a shame as it really did bring all of the teams closer and was a significant gesture at a time of year when things could be a bit tight.

Dickyboy

Got an e-card from the head office 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

We’re giving small Carluccio’s (the Italian restaurant/food shop) hampers along with £25 John Lewis vouchers to our team.

Nothing left to give ourselves a bonus.

🙁

gordimhor

I work in social care, no gifts allowed over £5 in value.

davosaurusrex

Also in construction management. Absolutely F-all. I should probably try and upset fewer people.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I got a whopping £121 Christmas bonus, wooooooo.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Geotechnical here, so sort of construction. So far I have won-

An awful “Risky Roger and Safety Susan” calendar from our health and safety training course mob.
    A big old tin of posh chocolate biscuits and a bottle of champagne from our chemical lab.
    3 bottles of wine and a cider from our drilling crew.
    A bottle of Glen Moray and some cheese from the boss.

Reasonably pleased with that lot.

Drac

What’s a Christmas Bonus? Is that when you get both Christmas and Boxing Day off?

chakaping
    Free Member

The second year a new company had taken over and declared the turkey and ham gift to be a benefit in kind and that it would need to be declared. Therefore it was not cost effective and would not be happening again. The turkey dinner also fell through. It’s a shame as it really did bring all of the teams closer and was a significant gesture at a time of year when things could be a bit tight.

That’s a rotten shame.

But at least the union rep could roll up his/her sleeves at the next meeting with management and say: “Right, let’s talk turkey!”

😆

(Laughing at my own joke as nobody else will)

munrobiker
    Free Member

*likes*

tomhoward

We usually get a couple of bottles from the company.

This year we have a hamper, consisting of…
    Stuffing mix
    Super salt and power pepper (I’ve no idea…)
    Sprout seasoning
    Walnut halves
    Hot chocolate
    Mix of 6 different spices
    Recipe book

All company branded, so no regifting…

So, £50 PPG?

scaredypants

“Risky Roger and Safety Susan” calendar

could be great, if it wasn’t for

from our health and safety training course mob.

🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    however in builder land corruption is still rife!
    Apparently not.

Zilch. Nada. Zip. Diddly Squat.

There should be less corruption in the construction industry.

…..or more opportunity for me to participate in it personally.

You’re a QS aren’t you. You destroyed the contractors entertainment budget and the expect him to give you a gift?

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s OK, both a “Babes” and a “Hunks” calendar were passed around in our secret Santa, so we are well covered for calendars to masturbate in the office to for all genders and persuasions.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

£2k bonus for each team member regardless of salary size, we have has a good half year.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’re a QS aren’t you.

Yes, i am

You destroyed the contractors entertainment budget and the expect him to give you a gift?

I awarded many millions of pounds worth of work, and then valued it fairly and paid for it on time.

I expect nothing.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I awarded many millions of pounds worth of work, and then valued it fairly and paid for it on time.

Rookie

davosaurusrex

I expect nothing.

You’ve not the hang of this QS thing at all, have you? Are you new?

You should be driving the small subcontractors to the wall and then doing a special festive dance over their emaciated corpses.

wrightyson
    Free Member

and paid for it on time.

You’re not a real qs then and I claim my £500+vat (payable within 30 days from invoice)
    😆

ourmaninthenorth

Will be my last Christmas in corporate life before I go into the not-for-profit sector.

Sadly I have received nothing. Nada. Zippo.

So I hope you all – while complying with your bribery act policies – you enjoy your free gifts and make merry..!

davosaurusrex

Our anti-bribery policy says we have to declare gifts worth over £250. Chance would be a fine thing!

136stu
    Free Member

I awarded many millions of pounds worth of work, and then valued it fairly

Translation – I played everyone off against each other to drive the price right down, then re-valued it lower after the work was done, when I realised we weren’t making enough out it ourselves.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Had an email from our new grinch manager with the company attached terms on receiving gifts etc. No bonus. No card. Nowt. He’s demanding we all turn in on Xmas day and boxing day those that are rostered on shift even though it was usually given off as nothing happens on Xmas day so a nice 12 hour boring night shift. Oh and the pinnacle of his grinchness is he’s interpretation of our 16 yr contract is now that we get no day in lieu for bank holiday working and no extra pay either. I doubt a nice bottle is on its way to us. Merry Xmas

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Who's had a Christmas bottle or two?’ is closed to new replies.